Best Way to Add Designs to Nails?

IfPigsFly

Jan 8, 2012
I keep searching for an answer as to whether there is any way to add designs to natural nails without free handing the designs. I don't want to apply tips with acrylic or builder gel as I like my natural nails and have worked a long time to reclaim those nails after acrylics.

It seems to me that if stamping was really a way to achieve professional looking results they would be available in a system better than Konrad or the like. If stencils worked, there would be more stencils available.

So...that still leaves me wondering whether I should just give up my search.

If you use designs applied to your natural nails, what do you use and why?

Thanks!

I keep searching for an answer as to whether there is any way to add designs to natural nails without free handing the designs. I don't want to apply tips with acrylic or builder gel as I like my natural nails and have worked a long time to reclaim those nails after acrylics.

It seems to me that if stamping was really a way to achieve professional looking results they would be available in a system better than Konrad or the like. If stencils worked, there would be more stencils available.

Thanks!

What about stickers? I think Conad is the best way probably. If you don't like the price, you could get the cheap "as seen on TV set" out right now. I think it is only $10 at Sally's. My Simple Little Pleasures, a NP blogger, has a couple really good tutorieals and FAQs on YouTube about Conad. Also, she reviewed the cheaper new set. I don't know if I helped or not...good luck!

Thanks!
Lots of great Konad/fauxnad stamp plate ideas here: http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/konad-nail-art-stamp-kit-414842.html I think that the stamp plates are fairly easy to use. It just takes practice :smile: I love using them & the results I've gotten so far. I'm still a newbie when it comes to using stamp plates though.
For nail art, so far, I've only tried the stamp plates and fimo sticks. I like both.
There's pictures of my first full nail stamp plate design here: http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-car...-today-part-6-a-667685-1368.html#post20719316 I like how it turned out & plan to try more stamp plate designs soon. Have fun and good luck with your nail art quest & whatever you decide to try :biggrin:

for natural nails I think water decals and stickers are an easy way to add designs. I also love stamping my nails and like the subtle effects they have on bare nails too. That and they also have acrylic shapes that are pre-made. All you do is glue them to your nails.

Stamping does take time and is very wasteful on polish (not as much as water marbling) if that's an issue.

Water decals are the very best. Easier to remove that stickers and flat on the nail. They are beautiful.

Attachments

• Butterfly Mani 002.JPG
    Butterfly Mani 002.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 407
  • White SP Mani 004.JPG
    White SP Mani 004.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 256
Water decals are the very best. Easier to remove that stickers and flat on the nail. They are beautiful.

OMG, they are beautiful (and so are your nails!)!! Do you make them? If so, how? If not, where do you find such beautiful things?

Finally (so many questions, sorry), how do you keep your nails so lovely - what do you use? SOG's?

Thank you!

OMG, they are beautiful (and so are your nails!)!! Do you make them? If so, how? If not, where do you find such beautiful things?

Finally (so many questions, sorry), how do you keep your nails so lovely - what do you use? SOG's?

Thank you!

I looked for a long time before I found a place to buy the kind of water decals that I like. Everything I was finding looked like they were for kids. Here is a link to where I purchased:

http://www.nailartsqueen.com/category/nail-tattoo.html

A package has 20 decals which is 2 full manis or a bunch of accent nails. The cost is about $1 a package. There are a lot to choose from. I don't remember what shipping was but it wasn't awful. I bought a lot. It did take a few (many) weeks to arrive as it was from Asia. I am set for a long time.

I am nearly 65 and I bit my nails badly until I was about 30. My nails were never nice. They are thin, bendy, peel, and get low splits into the quick. I tried enhancements (acrylics) and they pop off the edges of the nails as my nails curve into a pronounced C as they get longer. I had given up. I did find a great homemade strengthener which gave my nails strength without making them brittle. I cut them fairly short and was content. Then last summer I found SOGS and I have the beautiful nails I have always wanted. The SOGS give my nails some support so I rarely break a nail. Also, I can add tips and mend splits with the SOGS and get a totally natural look. Today I am wearing 2 tips and have 2 other nails mended. I have unfortunately been on a streak of problems for the first time in months. These pictures show the two tips--can you tell which ones?

I do spend time on my nails but it is worth it. If I am busy, I can do my nails and they stay beautiful day after day for 2 weeks.

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Attachments

• Taupe Mani 006.JPG
    Taupe Mani 006.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 336
  • Taupe Mani 007.JPG
    Taupe Mani 007.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 297
I use the new shellac polish by a company called Ink, and I use an LED lamp to set it, it takes 30 seconds per layer with that lamp and the Ink brand shellac or gel, and it lasts a week or two depending on how rough I am on my nails. My nails also peel and split and get really bad with acrylics.
I have a nail printer, and I am not impressed, the results are ok, it takes time and requires a lot more skill than they show in those infomercials, lol!
Water decals are fantastic, love them!!

I really love konading. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure out how to do it, you'll love it! I started out with the cheapo kit from CVS/Sally's. I have then added to my plate collection with normal Konad plates, and I plan to add more from other brands soon.

If you aren't into stamping, you can also try tape manicures. This blog has really great tutorials for really cute manicures! I also really like the look of water marbling, but I've never done it myself. I have done some free hand marbling with SOGs (using a toothpick), which came out really well.

Good luck figuring out which technique you like best. Make sure to take pictures of your outcomes and post them here so we can all see how (and what) you did! :smile: