Best Waterproofing Spray for bags?

purplefoam

May 4, 2015
Hi Ladiss, I am unsure if this have been asked many times, I apologise if this have been discussed before.

I am located in melbourne, and the weather is crazy almost everyday. And I hate how showers and rains threatens my bag. I have been wanting to get spray for my bag but have heard many different reviews, I was wondering if there is a brand that is suitable for majority if the bags out there or should i use a certain brand of spray for certain kinds of bags.

Any advice will be appreciated!

TA!

Hi Ladiss, I am unsure if this have been asked many times, I apologise if this have been discussed before.

I am located in melbourne, and the weather is crazy almost everyday. And I hate how showers and rains threatens my bag. I have been wanting to get spray for my bag but have heard many different reviews, I was wondering if there is a brand that is suitable for majority if the bags out there or should i use a certain brand of spray for certain kinds of bags.

TA!
Apple raingarde is considered very good. But I can't get it here, so I use Kiwi All-Protect which works just fine for me.

TA!

I like tarrago nanoprotector spray for suede & leather and Collonil leather gel or collonil waterstop spray for leather bags.

There is a new product by Collonil called Carbon Pro. Very effective waterproofer, the best they've ever developed. Good for any material, ie. leather, suede, nubuck etc. What's really different about it is that it lets the leather "breath" while at the same time waterproofing. Letting the leather breath keeps it from drying out, ie. makes the leather last longer and keeps the original look. Collonil leather gel is good too. collonilnorthamerica.com has them.

FYI there are some silicone based sprays out there. Don't use those on handbags. They waterproof just fine but they will dry out the leather in no time.

Last edited:
I used Kiwi Protect-All spray on my LV vacchetta. It works really well, and didn't change the color or darken the vacchetta whatsoever. Highly recommend.

Two years ago, I decided to take the plunge and buy an insanely expensive Céline handbag. I was on vacation and with the currency exchange, I did that delusional thing one does while on holiday. Oh, it’s so much cheaper than if I had bought it in New York. I’m too totally saving money. So I handed over my credit card and became the proud owner of a gorgeous burgundy saddlebag. The leather was spectacular — I must have spent an hour stroking it lovingly. It had a gold clasp, the kind of signature Phoebe Philo finishing touch to make it feel extra special.

Liquiproof-LABS-Premium-leather-Protector.jpg

That specific leather-and-gold-clasp combo, as lovely as it looked, also became the bag’s biggest downfall. Every time I opened or closed my purse, tiny scratches accumulated. The clasp needed to be guided into its slot and, being a fairly clumsy person, I would miss it more often than not. This left a series of long, vertical marks on the leather that drove me mad. Also, in my shopping-induced haze, I didn’t even consider what would happen if my precious purchase got wet.

So I did the only thing a crazy handbag obsessive would do — I searched Purse Forum for leather protectors exhaustively. I learned two things: (1) People go to insane lengths to keep their bags pristine and (2) You can effectively safeguard your new purchase with a very specific combination of products. A few names were tossed around but the most popular were Collonil waterproof protectant spray, Cadillac conditioner, and this trio of products from a brand called Apple (no relation to the tech giant). They all had comparable rave reviews on Amazon so I dug deeper and did an informal poll of friends who trawl the forums as much as I do. The overwhelming response was to choose Apple. My friends trusted them on their pricey Chanel and Hermès collections above all other leather protectors.

Source: Thecut.com

Just a quick reminder to say that a good and safe waterproofing product for one leather will not necessarily be great for another.

On suede or nubuck I'll use Scotchgard Water Shield - applied outside and recommended distance . Not for leather though.

Real leather regularly used should build-up patina enough to protect it from light rain untreated. Better to take a protective light bag to keep out of downpours. Once waterproofed leather will not usually be able to optimally be able to be restored. Please ask each brand what they would recommend before using any one generic commercial treatment.

Just a quick reminder to say that a good and safe waterproofing product for one leather will not necessarily be great for another.

On suede or nubuck I'll use Scotchgard Water Shield - applied outside and recommended distance . Not for leather though.

Real leather regularly used should build-up patina enough to protect it from light rain untreated. Better to take a protective light bag to keep out of downpours. Once waterproofed leather will not usually be able to optimally be able to be restored. Please ask each brand what they would recommend before using any one generic commercial treatment.
I would think the different brands of this stuff - Applegarde, etc., would have the same or similar ingredients? I bought some from a shoe store (SAS) that seems to be OK.