Best U.S. department store rewards program?

irene83

Mar 14, 2011
rainy city, USA
Hello fellow TPFers,

I wanted to ask which department store in the U.S. has the best rewards' program? I wanted to know, because when making large purchases, the rewards programs can give you a huge return back.

I mainly shop at Nordstrom but I was getting an impression that other department stores might have better rewards systems. For example, NM seems to offer something like $100 back for every $500 in gift cards during the promotion periods, while Nordstrom would give you back only $20 for 2000 points ($1000 during regular days, $500 for double point days, $333 for triple point.). I am wondering if someone has calculated the different department store rewards to see who gives out the best rewards?

Saks? Bloomingdales? Neiman Marcus? Barneys?

Thanks for your response!

MoSoupy

O.G.
Jan 11, 2009
Neiman Marcus is good but you only have a limited amount of time to use the gift card. For example, for the current gift card promo, you have to use it within 2 months of getting it. I shop at Nordstom's all the time, too, and love that the rewards gift certificates don't expire for a year.

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
I think NM is OK; I'm actually not super impressed with any store reward programs - I feel like you have to spend quite a lot to get anything good.

For example, NM you typically have to spend 10K if you're on a lower tier and if you want the $100 gift card. Of course, there are promotional periods, but somehow whenever those happen I'm not looking to buy anything so never seem to take advantage.

One store that has a great program, and although they only sell beauty products - is Fresh. For every $500 you spend you get $50 off a purchase. I kind of wish stores did a similar thing - give us the $$ off and forgo the gift cards (with all their exclusions!)

Goldilush

Dec 27, 2016
Hello fellow TPFers,

I wanted to ask which department store in the U.S. has the best rewards' program? I wanted to know, because when making large purchases, the rewards programs can give you a huge return back.

I mainly shop at Nordstrom but I was getting an impression that other department stores might have better rewards systems. For example, NM seems to offer something like $100 back for every $500 in gift cards during the promotion periods, while Nordstrom would give you back only $20 for 2000 points ($1000 during regular days, $500 for double point days, $333 for triple point.). I am wondering if someone has calculated the different department store rewards to see who gives out the best rewards?

Saks? Bloomingdales? Neiman Marcus? Barneys?

Thanks for your response!
I can only answer about the NM card. MoSoupy is right about the rewards being available for a limited time. Also the points reset to 0 at the beginning of the year so you can lose unused points - or if you return an item after Jan 1 you can find yourself with negative points. Those are some things to consider if you are deciding on which card/dept store and when to buy a big ticket item.

Lubina

May 6, 2014
I can only answer about the NM card. MoSoupy is right about the rewards being available for a limited time.
With NM and Bloomingdales when the rewards cards expire you can call and request an extension. I believe the period is 6 months.