Food Best time to eat coconut oil?

ncch

O.G.
Feb 18, 2012
I've been reading a lot online about the benefits of coconut oil and want to try it out. I always eat pretty healthy but I've been feeling really low energy lately / want to lose some weight / want to be more regular. I'm planning on cooking with it to start but I've also read that it's good to eat it raw by itself. But I'm confused as to when the best time to eat it is? Some people say on an empty stomach, some people say 15mins after a meal, some say a spoonful before bed works best to help you go the next day but then I'm reading that coconut oil gives you so much energy you won't be able to sleep!

If anyone has had any experience with coconut oil and has seen any changes / benefits, please post. Thanks!

I am a Wheat Belly person, and one of the good fats we use is coconut oil. Google bullet proof coffee; I've tried CO in my coffee in the morning......it gives me an upset stomach(which happens to some people). I can't attest to any benefits to me, but I do know it is a healthy fat. If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to try it (if you're going to eat it on its own) on a day you don't have to work. Some people suggest start in small amounts(all I know is I put 1 tbsp. in a cup of coffee, with butter & HWC and I was nauseous ALL day:cray:)

Reactions: Amalthea Shaw
I cook with coconut oil all the time. I saute fish, chicken and veggies and even make homemade popcorn using coconut oil to pop it on the stove. I have noticed that my good cholesterol has gotten a lot better since I've using coconut oil.
Yes, I have heard that having a spoonful in the morning is good for you....but I've never tried it,

I have a sensitive stomach and I can't handle too much grease of any kind, so I never just "eat" any type of oil by itself. I cook eggs and stuff using coconut oil and it works great. I would think if you were going to just eat some of it, it really wouldn't matter when. I know if I ate a spoonful of oil I would spend hours in the "reading room." :roflmfao:

I have tried eating it straight, at different times of the day, and it makes me seriously nauseous. So now I cook with it, I love the flavor in foods, and I melt it over popcorn (super yummy) and I use it daily as a skin moisturizer at night (it is absorbed by your skin and is just as good as consuming it, imo). Hope that helps. :heart:

I have tried eating it straight, at different times of the day, and it makes me seriously nauseous. So now I cook with it, I love the flavor in foods, and I melt it over popcorn (super yummy) and I use it daily as a skin moisturizer at night (it is absorbed by your skin and is just as good as consuming it, imo). Hope that helps. :heart:
I've been reading a lot online about the benefits of coconut oil and want to try it out. I always eat pretty healthy but I've been feeling really low energy lately / want to lose some weight / want to be more regular. I'm planning on cooking with it to start but I've also read that it's good to eat it raw by itself. But I'm confused as to when the best time to eat it is? Some people say on an empty stomach, some people say 15mins after a meal, some say a spoonful before bed works best to help you go the next day but then I'm reading that coconut oil gives you so much energy you won't be able to sleep!

If anyone has had any experience with coconut oil and has seen any changes / benefits, please post. Thanks!
Hi ncch! (& omg DM we meet again now that I'm in Kitchen thread thanks to you!) There is a ton of info about coconut oil benefits. I also cook with it & use it on my skin. I met a nutritionist/health coach that had the most beautiful skin ever (especially her face) & when I asked what she used she said coconout oil as moisturizer (& she was a total organic/ absolutely no makeup person)Her skin just glowed. I also use it in my hair as I have relatively thick wavy curls & the CO seems to "tame" it nicely. When I read about people ingesting a teaspoon or 2 a day (straight out of jar) I tried it, as well as in coffee, & I guess I'm lucky in that I did not get nauseous but it wasn't my most favorite taste in the world either! :flowers:

I stir it into a small plain yoghurt and have it with 3 crushed brazil nuts and a couple of dates or prunes (because of them apparently aiding bone health in women) sprinkled in, it's like mini-muesli and really yum. I have this 4 hours after lunch, this is to stop the phytic acid in the nuts blocking mineral absoption from food, and it makes a nice proteiny/semi-sweet snack. I don't get quesy with it this way, I did when I tried it after meals on its own though.