Food Best things for a gift basket - suggestions please

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
I am going to be putting together a gift basket for a door prize my company is donating and would like to do a kitchen theme.

What are some of your favourite items or items you'd like to receive in a gift basket?

I am thinking of getting those neat looking rock salt and pepper grinders, maybe a kitchen hand towel, maybe poultry shears, a French Press, etc.

Maybe some of these as they are for a good cause:

pG01-2082020_group_reg.jpg

Last edited:
I've done them before with an Italian theme... like a pasta, nice sauce, wine, biscotti, nicer olive oils and balsamic vinegar. For accessories I've put in the wine preserver, the one that is supposed to seal it more tightly after you've opened it and cute cork screw/opener thing. There are interesting food items to include sometimes at the Cost Plus World Market and Williams Sonoma. Cute towels are great for lining the basket.

ive also seen it done where its a mix of spices, and if you are going to do a baking themed one for bcrf, you could include a cookbook and some oven mitts and kitchen towels!

I went out and bought:

- large stainless steel colander (to be used as the basket)
- two kitchen towels (neutral colour)
- stainless steel poultry shears
- stainless steel pepper grinder
- stainless steel grater/planer set
- Star Frit can opener

It came to $70 and that should be generous enough for a door prize though I may pick up one or two more smaller items for filler.

Last edited:
I once had to create a gift basket for a prize at a medical conference. My employer gave me $15. Yikes!

So I put together a "chocolate therapy" basket.
Mixing bowl from Kmart
Set of 2 whisks from dollar store
Brownie mix, hot cocoa mix, bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips from grocery store

Your budget could be higher. Then you could offer better quality ingredients. Plus you could add some Godiva or other high ticket chocolates.

What woman does not yearn for chocolate?

I love putting together gift baskets... especially for my MIL (she like that kind of thing).

I have put together some with kitchen gadgets themed (hot pads, kitchen towels, shears, bake wares finished with marguerita mixes, cookie/cake mixes, cocoa mixes etc.)

Tea themed (tealeaves, cookies, teacups, tea cozys, teapots etc.)

BBQ themed (dry rubs, skewers, pam, apron, box of wood chips, & other grill stuff)

One of my fav. which I did for my FIL... exotic food themed (can oysters, sardines, escargos, caviars, crackers, german chocolates, jerkey meats, snacks from other countries etc.)...

Wine theme (cheese, crackers, wine sets "corkscrews to wine glass collars etc." even a couple of wine glass, a bottle of wine & some chocolates or a wine-book of sorts etc..)

Or Asian food theme, bath theme etc... there is so many, use your imaginations!

I find that when I get a theme in my head, I get inspired to think of gathering items that fit the theme... that is easiest way for me to build my baskets!

I just donated a basket over the weekend. My theme was "Pie", so the basket included a white ceramic pie dish, white iron trivet, autumn colored towel/mitt set, a HUGE pie cookbook, rolling pin, and a pie server. It makes it alot easier once you settle on a theme, otherwise your basket can look very haphazard. I picked up most of items at Marshall's or Target, basket filler and cello at the dollar store.