Best strategy for something I really want WITH a reserve.

backstageAntics

bag lady!
Mar 8, 2009
There is a piece on eBay I really want with a reserve. There hasn't been a lot of interest, but it hasn't hit the reserve yet either so I don't know what it is. What is my best strategy? Should I bid it up NOW to see what the reserve is (thus indicating my interest to the other bidder?) or should I just set a snipe with the absolute highest amount that I'm willing to pay and if the reserve is what I would call "unreasonable" then I just don't get it.

friponne

fop
O.G.
Jul 19, 2006
You can ask the seller to disclose the reserve price, most are willing to do so.
If it's low enough (or if the seller won't tell you the reserve), just set your best snipe on it - no need to drive up interest too early. Good luck! :smile:

Jul 12, 2007
Heh. I was going to do that and they said right in their listing "we don't disclose our reserve price."

Ok, I'll set my best price on a snipe. Thanks! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I am pretty brazen with sellers like that, and email them to inform them that if they want my bid, it would be more likely to happen if they were to disclose their reserve price.

I usually say it in a nice way that still gets the point across:

"Hello, I realize that you are in no way obligated to tell me the reserve price but I have my own policy of not bidding on items with a mystery reserve price.

If you would kindly consider telling me what it is, I will be able to consider giving you the price you would like on this item, which saves me the trouble of playing a guessing game on a mystery price, and saves you the problem of being hit with a fee and left with an unsold item if no one meets the reserve price. A win-win for both of us.

Best regards, your potential buyer."

backstageAntics

bag lady!
Mar 8, 2009
I am pretty brazen with sellers like that, and email them to inform them that if they want my bid, it would be more likely to happen if they were to disclose their reserve price.

LOL, I love your letter. That's awesome! there's not long to go now, though, so I think I will just snipe it, but certainly take it under advisement for next time.

I'm going to set it right at the highest I can stand to pay because it's definitely something I want and is kind of unusual as well.

Edited to add: what happens if two bidders are using sniper services?

Last edited:

peachi521

Jun 24, 2008
question about reserve prices: if I am the first bidder on a reserve item with a starting bid of $0.99 and my max bid is higher than the seller's reserve price... my bid will still show up as $0.99 right? I have to wait until other bidders push up the reserve price?

backstageAntics

bag lady!
Mar 8, 2009
question about reserve prices: if I am the first bidder on a reserve item with a starting bid of $0.99 and my max bid is higher than the seller's reserve price... my bid will still show up as $0.99 right? I have to wait until other bidders push up the reserve price?

Yes, that's just proxy bidding. The reserve doesn't seem to alter the bid pattern. I was *lower* than the reserve but still put in a good bid and my highest bid didn't show up until someone else pushed it up.

Snipe is set, cross your fingers for me! :biggrin:

sianii11

Gleek...
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Peachi521 - i don't think so - if you don't meet the reserve, your bid would stay at 99c, but if you do meet it your bid will be whatever the reserve price was and of course would be bid up again if someone else bid against you...:smile: