Best SPF for wearing under makeup?

littlethistle

Nov 20, 2015
I have a feeling I can't be alone when it comes to finding a good SPF to wear under makeup that doesn't make the face look like a disco ball.

I've had to reduce my morning skin care routine to JUST my SPF for this very reason.

Originally I was applying my Rosehip /Argan Oil or Vitamin E / Royal Jelly cream - all of these products by Trilogy & Dr Organic work amazingly alone... Then I apply my Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced Lotion SPF 50 by Garnier & it's just all down hill from there!...

Now, I cleanse & apply my SPF straight away.

I apply a pea size amount to all 4 sides of my face & then perhaps a little extra around the eye & brow area... & then of course my neck. The consistency isn't all that thick, but it doesn't exactly glide on like a dream either! I've abandoned my beauty blender lately & work my Laura Mercier Flawless Finish foundation onto the face with my fingers - the application is great & I don't get any of that 'bobbling' & pealing of the SPF layer underneath.. perhaps because it doesn't seem to really set??... I apply my NARS concealer & then finishing powder {& everything else}

I'm still wearing my face right now, & my skin feels silky smooth to the touch.. no sticky feeling, BUT if I were to look at my makeup in the mirror, even just midday, it looks shiny & the foundation & powder is a little on the patchy/cakey side... I actually don't apply that much foundation or powder, because I like to keep it looking as natural as possible... but by midday my cover is blown!

I couldn't take photos with this SPF on, & applying powder throughout the day to keep the shine at bay still wouldn't help.. it would only make my foundation look patchy/cakey.

The only way to avoid all of this would be to not wear a real SPF, which I'm guilty of doing throughout my early 20s. I've only started wearing SPF lately that isn't already in my makeup.

Does anyone have an SPF they can say they're truly happy with, that isn't heavy, thick, greasy, shiny & destroy the look of quality makeup that otherwise gives a flawless finish? The higher the UV protection & least chemically the better, because I'm a little concerned that my skin sensitivity may even be down to this SPF.

:worthy:

I use EltaMD clear spf 46 and it glides easily like moisturizer. They also have a tinted option though I've never tried it. I'm very happy with the regular one. I use it under makeup

Reactions: chessmont
My favourite is Cle de Peau UV Protection Cream SPF50+. I love Japanese sun creams in general, but CdP really is the creme de la creme. It's my go to product under makeup these days.

Dior City Defence with spf 50. It is really lightweight, no white marks in the face, moisturizes your face and you can use it as a perfect primer under your make up.

Thank you so much for the feedback, girls!

I think I'll have to grab a couple & see which ones work best for me. My skin's usually very balanced, but with this SPF I've been using, it's left me feeling so oily!