Best 'smooth' leather if buying preloved Birkin

Have a look through our leather reference library.

Gulliver/Swift is a good bet for you because you like that original (Jane) Birkin undulating look (me too). Never had a problem with rain with any of my Swift bags BUT I don't intentionally go out in a storm wearing one either.

Original Barenia may good too because it doesn't care about rain, hard to find as many have been talking-up this leather lately (then storing them in their wardrobes and reselling).

Warning though. A B 40 is most leathers is heavy to carry on a daily basis (and I have carried a Travel Bolide on a daily basis). Personally, I would try it out before you commit (unless you are fabulously strong - in which case you have my admiration).
I think you've convinced me that 35 is way to go-I've noticed Barenia bags do sell for a premium
re rain; though I doubt I'd take her out if heavy rain was forecast all day I dont want to feel her use is restricted to dry days.
I own a Fijord leather Jypsiere in gold-I opted for the fjord because of its durability however due to the colour of the bag I doubt I would chose to wear her if rain was forecast!

My above bags are , from top to bottom: Swift Birkin 35, Fauve Barenia Birkin 35, HAC 32 Fauve Barenia and 35 Birkin brown Boxcalf.
Beauties!!!!!
I utterly adore the Barenia :heart: -the swift looks slightly grained am I correct in that?
In response to an earlier post by @Tonimichelle I'm 5'3 and a uk size 10 (US6) I dont need to carry a laptop for work but at some point I may need to carry an iPad.
My daily 'stuff' I carry is a kindle, lipstick ,keys masks disposable gloves hand sanitiser and 2 mobile phones.
At present I dont carry a wallet as I'm not using cash just a card case although when I do it would be a leather one.
I also (dont laugh...I'm an Aquarian and a bit of a hippie at heart) carry a bag with some protective crystals in.
Although this isn't a ton of stuff it can get heavy especially in a bag I cant put on my shoulder.
At the moment due to the pandemic I'm using a Hermes Toto bag 12"x9" and a X-Body trio bag to carry my travel card and phones in and that works for me-I've never in my life had a bag as small as the toto but right now I need a bag that I can just reach for my masks from, gloves, sanitiser and not worry if the sanitiser squirts on the bag or leaks-the open top with zip compartment is perfect.
I think that gives you an idea of my daily needs-going out I would carry much the same though possibly a perfume too-I dont wear much make up ever.
I think my heart wants a 40 but my head and my SA both say NO!!! I used to buy lots of Marc Jacobs bags (the blake etc..early ones)
Leather and leather lined and the weight always got me down a bit.

Reactions: Rockerchic
If you like a matte look, then I still vote barenia B35 in noir or ebene. I'm 5'0 ft and a sz 4 and have 2 B35's. I carry a wallet, phone, keys, card holder, tissue, and now mask, hand sanitizer and wipes. Occasionally I'll have a water bottle or umbrella. Here’s my B35 in black barenia.

The other option if you’re really thinking of a 40 is to consider a HAC in 32 or 36

2C6DD1E3-6844-4CA5-851D-65A25A2D2919.jpeg

CDA67D21-7BD7-4435-993A-CDA99D81F417.jpeg

If you like a matte look, then I still vote barenia B35 in noir or ebene. I'm 5'0 ft and a sz 4 and have 2 B35's. I carry a wallet, phone, keys, card holder, tissue, and now mask, hand sanitizer and wipes. Occasionally I'll have a water bottle or umbrella. Here’s my B35 in black barenia.

The other option if you’re really thinking of a 40 is to consider a HAC in 32 or 36

I'm drooling!!! This is SO beautiful!
Interesting you mention the HAC because originally..as in at least 15 years ago I decided i'd rather have a HAC than a Birkin-I was obsessed by them in fact! I loved the shape so much more if I'm honest and probably still do..however they seem to be much rarer and come at premium because of the rarity.
A HAC in 32 would be wonderful :yahoo: ......oh dear...I'm in another quandary !:confused1:

View attachment 4786091

View attachment 4786092

Reactions: 880
For the preloved market, size 35B prices are dropping (32 HAC prices are even lower) especially among Japanese recommended resellers , and some resellers in the US Like fashionphile. I think resellers in he EU are significantly more expensive. resellers can have great prices for a workhouse bag, but you eould need to factor in some extra $$ for expert refurbishment, tax and, if international, possible customs fees). I find that its still worth a look.

I’ve had very good experiences with Docride (Lazarus thread) via private consultations on bags (nominal fee via ebay) as well as her professional spa, weatherproofing and rejuvenation of my 28 box Kelly, Three 30 Birkins in VN, barenia and swift and a 32 barenia hac. (YMMV on this as TPF consensus seems to be that a bag will not be accepted for H spa if weatherproofed). but, if you live in a rainy location and want a workhorse, then. . . .

good luck and have fun in your search! I’ve posted my recent Doc refurbishmnt bags elsewhere, but here is a black 30B barenia, brushed phw and a gold 30B swift, brushed phw. they fit my iPad, wallet and other things easily. I do not pay a premium For my bags. Both are weatherproofed and spa by Doc:
36065528-25D7-4C3E-8365-382F65776805.jpeg
forgot to add, Jane Birkins bag was a travel bag And she stopped carrying it due to wrist pain. There is a thread here Somewhere a male tpfer asked about a 40B and another tpfer opined that a 40 was a bit too big and heavy for everyday. . .

Last edited:
Iris Apfel or Patti Smith in my clothing choices.
For color,
Definitely a black birkin then If Patti Smith. But maybe I’m distracted by Apfels glasses, I almost think Appel would do bright color. . . I definitely don’t see either woman choosing a light neutral which I think you mentioned as a possibility. Not gold or etoupe or tan or noisette birkin. Apfel is also not what I would consider minimal or avant-garde in the way I imagine Patti Smith (Smith could rock a dries van noten or come dea garçons style though) . . . Though maybe both of them would do raisin. patti smith would do rouge H but I’m not sure Apfel. . . Prune or Bordeaux with phw maybe?

what is your hw preference? I think I’d Appel more ghw, whereas Patti smith is definitely phw.

i forgot to mention think my swift B weighs more than the barenia. I can weigh it later. VN or Box would be lighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
For color,
Definitely a black birkin then If Patti Smith. But maybe I’m distracted by Apfels glasses, I almost think Appel would do bright color. . . I definitely don’t see either woman choosing a light neutral which I think you mentioned as a possibility. Not gold or etoupe or tan or noisette birkin. Apfel is also not what I would consider minimal or avant-garde in the way I imagine Patti Smith (Smith could rock a dries van noten or come dea garçons style though) . . . Though maybe both of them would do raisin. patti smith would do rouge H but I’m not sure Apfel. . . Prune or Bordeaux with phw maybe?

what is your hw preference? I think I’d Appel more ghw, whereas Patti smith is definitely phw.

i forgot to mention think my swift B weighs more than the barenia. I can weigh it later. VN or Box would be lighter.
I'm definitely more Patti than Iris as I tend to like brands like Comme Des Garcons,Rick Owens,Anne DeMulemeester, The Row, Loewe, Old Celine-BUT I also wear a lot of vintage 70's long dresses in strong colours (hence the Iris thing I suppose in that I'm not afraid of colour and I often layer clothes-but although I wear glasses I dont do a 'wacky' look with them, nor do I wear chunky necklaces but I do like a bracelet and big rings )
I veer towards PHW but having said that I do Mix gold and silver rings so I'm not anti GHW (though I would hate rose gold !) I have 2 cape cod watches both GM one black face with silver metal strap the other white face with double tour red strap -that is silver too.
I wear a few Hapi layered up and all those have PHW and I have 2 CDC one black with PHW and one tan with GHW....So I suppose I'm more of a PHW woman but there is something about GHW on a Birkin or HAC that still looks fabulous.
I mention my jewellery tastes because I think again that gives an insight into my style-most my Hermes bracelets and watches I've worn almost daily for many many years
When I mentioned a light neutral I was thinking a rich deep patina like you'd get on an old saddle in which case I think GHW would look great but I think you're right I'd probably regret not getting a dark colour.
I need a bag that will go with my 'bright clothing' days as well as my Black or dark clothing days.
At 5'3 I worry that a HAC may be too 'long' even though I love them I dont want to scrape the bottom of the bag walking up stairs:biggrin:!
Sorry for information overload I really really value any input as when buying pre-loved its almost always online and therefore not possible to actually hold the bag in front of a mirror on me until I've brought it.
Also In London Hermes stores Birkins are few and far between to try hence me considering a 40cm which I now realise would be a BIG mistake.....I AM the woman who brought a pre-loved Loewe Holdall online ...forgetting that I was buying from a US reseller I thought the measurements were in CM not INCHES....omg!!! the bag turned up and it was huge a weekend bag not a daily tote..I've used it once and ended up asking my husband to carry it most the day because it weighed so much :wtf:!
I dont want to make the same mistake again

• Love
Reactions: 880