Best skincare for 40+?

I’ve been using Drunk Elephant Polypeptide protini cream as my moisturizer during the day. It’s awesome. At night I use olé Henrikson truth oil. My skin is changing, since I hit 40. Dry patches, less glow, and dullness. These two items are really helping!
I may need to try these. Looking for a good moisturizer esp since I use Refina.

I use a very simple and what I think is a natural skin-care routine. I am 46 and have extremely sensitive skin.

I use Andalou Naturals brightening eye cream, which helped reverse some of the wrinkles around my eyes from smoking in college. For a once a month “peel/exfoliation” I use Andalou brightening pumpkin glycolic mask. After I shower, their vitamin c moisturizer. You can get all of these at Whole Foods. They use fruit stem cells and since using these products, I have seen a marked improvement in my skin!! -ps their brightening toner is amazing too!

Since visiting Paris two summers ago, I have become a huge fan of the Caudalie beauty elixir, and Diivine oil for my body.

I use Buffet, and caffeine eye tonic from the Ordinary daily morning and night.
And their organic Marula, Argan, and rose hip oils.

Reactions: wisconsin
It really depends on your personal skintype. I know the products that I used in my teens and collegiate years definitely will not work now. Nor will the products that faithfully served me in the decades that followed. I've seen my friends run the gamut as far as different methods to prevent father time from advancing further - e.g. botox, blue peels, nuderm, clairsonic, $$$ la mer, etc. At this stage of our lives, I realized just do whatever makes you feel good. Shake a feather for all I care. As long as your friends and family can still recognize you, then it's all good.;)

I realise no matter what I use and no matter how much I spend on skincare; I see minimal results anti-aging wise (brightening, clarity and all are not surprising with the effort we put in ) AND I am still aging visibly so I just moisturise with Avene/LRP or Cerave (my favourite), drink lots of water, avoid alcohol (very hard) and selfies. I can't give up on sugar and coffee but life is too short to go without either. Once every two years I might get some filler but no botox, did it once for my 11s and hated the feeling for the entire duration of it.

I realise no matter what I use and no matter how much I spend on skincare; I see minimal results anti-aging wise (brightening, clarity and all are not surprising with the effort we put in ) AND I am still aging visibly so I just moisturise with Avene/LRP or Cerave (my favourite), drink lots of water, avoid alcohol (very hard) and selfies. I can't give up on sugar and coffee but life is too short to go without either. Once every two years I might get some filler but no botox, did it once for my 11s and hated the feeling for the entire duration of it.
I completely agree with you. I'm definitely not going to give up coffee - at least in this lifetime. As for abstaining from sugar and booze, really?! I mean I'm no lush nor do I have a sweet tooth but I do like to have a cookie or a some icecream once every blue moon.

I completely forgot I tried fillers a while back for severe under eye bags (stressful job + marriage). Oh what a waste. I went to highly recommended surgeon who had the best bedside manner but the fillers were SO wierd. You could see the lumps right after the procedure. I think they went down after a day or two and I DID look well rested but the effects went away after a few months. To me, it wasn't worth it.

One of my gfs who just broached her 50s has zero wrinkles and swears by NuFace. She's done it for the past two years and it did help w/ the wrinkles but sadly couldn't prevent the jowls. So I guess it's really just picking your poison. I'm apprehensive to try this as I tried Lightstim once and it almost fried my face. :tdown:

• Love
Reactions: luv2bling and loves
Oddly I don't mind wrinkles, I just can't stand the jowls. I am thinking of Ultherapy but not now, maybe in a couple of months since we are trying to avoid non essential hospital visits.

There is a great youtube video on how long fillers actually last and the possible migration of fillers to other parts of the face and he has several other videos on fillers.

Reactions: ladysarah
Oddly I don't mind wrinkles, I just can't stand the jowls. I am thinking of Ultherapy but not now, maybe in a couple of months since we are trying to avoid non essential hospital visits.

There is a great youtube video on how long fillers actually last and the possible migration of fillers to other parts of the face and he has several other videos on fillers.

Based on my older female relatives, I know the jowls will happen. It just depends on when. Amongst my peers, I've seen it on women as young as late thirties.

Regarding the fillers, yea it was a one time thing. And done a very long time ago. LOL Not worth a repeat visit if you know what I mean.

Reactions: loves

Avoid selfies? I am concerned as I often take selfies.
Are selfies aging? Or is it that they just make us dwell on the perceived aging?

Avoid selfies? I am concerned as I often take selfies.
Are selfies aging? Or is it that they just make us dwell on the perceived aging?
I avoid selfies because I do not like to see my face. It is a highly personal thing and I did not advise anyone else not to take pics of themselves. You are free to take selfies as much as you like and more power to you being able to love and embrace signs of aging (if any) on your face. And I am 48 so I look a lot older these days compared to my selfie taking days when I first joined this forum.

Last edited:
Try getting EGF Serum and Ferulic Acid from Radium Skin. The best products I purchased in a long time!

Dear all,

I hope to find answers befor I go on spending a fortune on skincare products...

Is there a skine care lin you strongly recommend for the skin of a 40+?

I tried and tried and tried and tried an no pruduct met my expectations- really, most of them were as if I put Nivea on my face, best case. Worst case were blackheads and irritations and things you do not want to see in the mirror.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Here is a list of products I've been using:

Helena Rubinstein
Lancome
Shiseido
Dior
Chanel
Kanebo (do they still exist?)
Clinique (was good in my early and later 20ies but now- no way)
La Prairie
Sisleys
Lush
Oil of olays
no namer

So, please help an old woman!

TIA!

I feel your pain. Undereye dark circles are the bain of my existence. I’ve been using Dr. Brandt Needles No More - No More Baggage with limited results. It helps a little, but only if I use a medium coverage foundation with it. La Mer moisturizing cream has definitely made my skin feel more supple, but I still struggle with not being able to refine the pores on my cheeks and those darn jowls. I want to age gracefully but that doesn’t mean looking like a forgotten piece of shriveled fruit in the back of the refrigerator.

Reactions: limom