Best site(s) to sell contemporary designer bags?

ce_1992

Jul 19, 2020
Hi TPF!

I'm a bit of a bag collector, and as I near my 30s I want to start downsizing and being more thoughtful about the bags I buy. My tastes have also admittedly gotten a bit more expensive in the last two years and I want to fund some new bags by selling ones that I can't see myself using moving forward.

I have probably 30 bags (and a few SLGs) from Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Vera Bradley and the like that I want to sell. I don't think I could part with any of my Coach bags, as most are sentimental to me one way or the other and I'd go to Yoogi's or Fashionphile for my Lux bags. Many I want to part with are New With Tags or in excellent, mostly unused condition (shame on me for impulse buying).

I'm debating between Poshmark and eBay. Not sure what fees are applicable for either site or if crossposting is allowed between the two. I've bought on both but haven't sold on either so I'm a little bit nervous as I know people are very focused on feedback. Aside from those two platforms, are there any other sites that are recommended? Appreciate any and all advice! :yes:

I’d recommend looking into tradesy. Ebay used to be my go-to site for selling items, but sadly the scammers seem to outnumber the legitimate buyers these days. Ebay also seems to exclusively side with the buyer, so if you get a shady buyer, and they file a claim, the seller will almost always be SOL. While Tradesy is far from perfect, I’ve had some success selling a number of items from contemporary designers. The commission fee is considerably higher (19.8% vs. ebay’s 10-12%), but I do feel that you get a higher caliber customer. Maybe I’m completely kidding myself there, but I personally feel a bit more protected when selling on tradesy.

ETA: I’d also just remind you that despite being new with tags, you sadly won’t get anywhere close to what you paid. It’s extremely frustrating, and has been a deterrent for me at times, but sometimes it’s better to take a loss, get the stuff out of your closet, and buy something that you’ll actually use!

Reactions: keodi and ce_1992
I sell contemporary brand items on eBay. I’ve been doing it for many years now. I only sell items in great condition to almost new items. You do have to be wary of scammers, so I never sell anything that is too expensive on eBay. I basically sell items that I wouldn’t even mind just donating but I figured I’ll try to get a few bucks. I would never sell any luxury brands like Chanel or Hermès or anything that costly eBay.

Reactions: ce_1992
I’d recommend looking into tradesy. Ebay used to be my go-to site for selling items, but sadly the scammers seem to outnumber the legitimate buyers these days. Ebay also seems to exclusively side with the buyer, so if you get a shady buyer, and they file a claim, the seller will almost always be SOL. While Tradesy is far from perfect, I’ve had some success selling a number of items from contemporary designers. The commission fee is considerably higher (19.8% vs. ebay’s 10-12%), but I do feel that you get a higher caliber customer. Maybe I’m completely kidding myself there, but I personally feel a bit more protected when selling on tradesy.

ETA: I’d also just remind you that despite being new with tags, you sadly won’t get anywhere close to what you paid. It’s extremely frustrating, and has been a deterrent for me at times, but sometimes it’s better to take a loss, get the stuff out of your closet, and buy something that you’ll actually use!

I’ll have to check out Threadsy, thank you! eBay has worried me for that reason, I don’t need to lose out on my bags and money when I’d be just as happy storing them in my attic until I have kids, gifting them to friends, or whatever.

I know I won’t be able to get the tag value for most items (I do think I have a shot to come close with Vera Bradley items, as people will pay quite a bit for mint condition older patterns, I did in the past for a lovely out of print bag that won’t be sold as I use it) but lucky for me everything was bought on sale for no more than 60% of the tagged price, so if I can even get 1/3 of tag price I’ll be pretty happy to get something back :yes:

I may also poke around to see if there are any consignment shops around depending on how selling online goes.

I’ll have to check out Threadsy, thank you! eBay has worried me for that reason, I don’t need to lose out on my bags and money when I’d be just as happy storing them in my attic until I have kids, gifting them to friends, or whatever.

I know I won’t be able to get the tag value for most items (I do think I have a shot to come close with Vera Bradley items, as people will pay quite a bit for mint condition older patterns, I did in the past for a lovely out of print bag that won’t be sold as I use it) but lucky for me everything was bought on sale for no more than 60% of the tagged price, so if I can even get 1/3 of tag price I’ll be pretty happy to get something back :yes:

I may also poke around to see if there are any consignment shops around depending on how selling online goes.

I hear you...that was the main reason I stopped selling on eBay. After getting screwed multiple times, I decided that I’d rather gift or donate items.

And you’re totally right regarding Vera Bradley! I had been given a number of VB items years back, and when I went to sell them, the discontinued patterns sold quickly, and for a good amount.

Whatever route you choose, good luck! Hopefully your bags will find new homes, and you’ll be able to recoup a bit of money!

Reactions: ce_1992
Are you in the US? I have had luck selling contemporary brands on Mercari. Their fee is 10% when the item sells plus a 2.9% transaction fee. Unlike eBay, they only give a buyer four days to accept the purchase. Mercari is not as big as eBay, but I feel that you also do not have as much competition to sell. Tradesy takes up to 21 days and sometimes more for you to get paid. With Mercari, you are usually paid within a week.

Sorry to revive this thread but any information for those of us based in Europe? I'm based in the UK to be exact. I've had success selling designer on Vestiaire but struggling to sell my contemporary bags and I'm scared of ebay due to the known selling problems.