Best shipper to avoid customs fees if possible? AUS to US

Shoppinmel

Handbag Enthusiast!
O.G.
May 11, 2010
I don't know if anyone can give me any advise but I just purchased a bag on Ebay Australia that cost $1,220 AUD, $1,070 US. I thought I'd read on here that certain shippers charge a surcharge and I'll be more likely to incur customs fees. Can anyone shed any light for me on which carrier I can suggest my seller use? I'd love to not incur duty but I know it can be the luck of the draw sometimes. I have factored them into my bid price just in case I do incur them (assuming they're not crazy high!). Thanks in advance for your help!!

Aus Post. In here is USPS. It is hit and miss with Custom fees. I always prepared to pay Custom fees every time my bags that I purchased from outside of the USA arrived. Most of the time I did not pay anything.

I've bought many very expensive items from overseas over the last 10 years, and I have only paid customs fees one time. That item was shipped via FedEx. I've never paid customs fees on USPS Express mail from overseas. I think that's the way to go. ;)

Keep in mind that - unless you talked to the seller before placing your bid about switching carriers, or she doesn't specify a carrier - that the seller may have listed a specific option because others are more cumbersome for her to deal with.

Keep in mind that - unless you talked to the seller before placing your bid about switching carriers, or she doesn't specify a carrier - that the seller may have listed a specific option because others are more cumbersome for her to deal with.

The listing was for AU only and I contacted her and asked if she would ship to the US before I bid. She said she would and gave me an estimate. I asked if the shipping ended up being less would she refund the difference and said she would. I don't think she's shipped to the US before as she doesn't have a huge selling history so I think she would be willing to ship how I request. She's very nice and responsive.

I don't know if anyone can give me any advise but I just purchased a bag on Ebay Australia that cost $1,220 AUD, $1,070 US. I thought I'd read on here that certain shippers charge a surcharge and I'll be more likely to incur customs fees. Can anyone shed any light for me on which carrier I can suggest my seller use? I'd love to not incur duty but I know it can be the luck of the draw sometimes. I have factored them into my bid price just in case I do incur them (assuming they're not crazy high!). Thanks in advance for your help!!

Australia Post registered is the way to go, if you send via the courier companies generally you might get slugged with custom fees.

I wish that my seller had used something other than DHL. I've never had issues with customs before and I am now being stuck with a $430+ charge for a bag over 30 years old. I did not factor in such a significant cost when I bid. My purchase is from France not AUS, but I have done quite a bit of international shipping. USPS or the Australian equivalent is the way to go.

UPS has always charged me customs fees. The worse was a $230 item from Germany and the duty was $121. I've since stopped bidding on intl items. Too much stress.

This is an old thread, but I was looking for an answer as I am thinking of buying a $6,000 from Australia, and I am in the USA. I just remembered that I bought my wedding dress for $9,000 from Australia a little less than 2 years ago, it was sent via Aus Post, then transferred to USPS. The full price and contents were declared on the box, and I had to pick it up at USPS headquarters, as a signature was required. However, I paid nothing in customs, so I think Aus Post to USPS is the way to go.