Best Shampoo/Conditioner/Products for Enhancing Red-Colored Hair?? Please Help!

cooper1

wag more, bark less
O.G.
Aug 11, 2007
Hi everyone!
I use a permanent haircolor to dye my hair a dark red blonde and love the color for about a week before it fades into a dismal blah yucky color. The color I use is Matrix Socolor for grey hair (yes, I prematurely greyed at 18, and now at 34 I am over 90% grey! The same thing happened to my mom when she was young). I have tried some color enhancing shampoos, but none seem to really keep the color. I know red is a difficult color to keep up, but really, a week???
Does anyone have any suggestions, products, or tips for keeping the red in my hair color longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Go to Sally's Beauty and pick up Coloresse shampoo/cond in which ever formula you need. (They have a volume one, a rescue one and a moisture one) This shampoo seems to be the only thing that didn't fade my super bright red highlights too quickly. You can check it out on sallybeauty.com also.

Aveda makes a good one for red hair. I think it's the Madder Root one, smells like cherry almond. If you don't want to spend that much, Sally's has a no-name version of it that works just as well...

Thanks, I have tried the Aveda Madder Root and it doesn't help with my hair. Your're right; it smells incredible, but unfortunately it just didn't work for me....I wonder if I have too much grey and it will fade no matter what I do.

Maybe I will try the Coloresse line of products from Sally's.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Anyone else have any?
TIA!!!

^^ have you tried hennas? although it may not be the exact shade of red your hair is, henna tends to grip well onto dyed hair and gives you a lovely red shade that lasts for about a month. the great thing is that it's actually good for your hair and conditions it. my mother uses it once every two months or so and it looks great on her-tints her whites reddish and conceals them.

if you want to keep your hair red perhaps you could dilute the henna powder and just use it more often.

Red fades faster than any other hair color, so that's probably a big part of it. How often do you touch up? You might have to do it more often... My sister had naturally red hair that started going gray, so she was doing brown dye for awhile every 6 weeks. When she started dying it red, she had to switch to every 3 to 4 weeks. Also, how often do you wash your hair? That makes a huge difference too.

One of my friends used to work at a salon and she had black hair with bleached highlights that they'd color over with red, so it was jet black with BRIGHT red highlights (kwim?), and they mixed up special shampoo for her to use. I used it once on my own hair and it tinted it red for a couple days and dyed my hands pink, it was that strong! IDK what it was, but I can ask her.

Since red is the hardest to keep from fading, maybe you wash your hair too much? I wash my hair only about 3 times per week (wet it in between, no shampoo, so I can style it). But my color is professionally done so maybe that is why it last longer? I don't know.