Best price for Cartier watch

Mar 14, 2012
I am looking for a small Cartier Tank Francaise in steel and gold. I only want to purchase from an authorized dealer (location doesn't matter--I prefer out of TN to avoid sales tax) and am looking for one who will offer a discount. Do any of you have recommendations? Also, what is the best discount I can expect?

I am looking for a small Cartier Tank Francaise in steel and gold. I only want to purchase from an authorized dealer (location doesn't matter--I prefer out of TN to avoid sales tax) and am looking for one who will offer a discount. Do any of you have recommendations? Also, what is the best discount I can expect?

http://eisemanjewels.com/

Is a place in the North Park Mall in Dallas. They gave me 20% off. I think Saks will do the same. Eiseman is out of state so that will save on sales tax.

My experience has been that Saks does not give jewelry discounts except during events, i.e. Friends & Family. Even then, it's typically only 15% and Cartier is one of the brands excluded from the event.

They do offer discounts when you open a store credit card with them, but the offer varies.

As for receiving a discount at a jewelry store for a Cartier watch... I would suggest negotiating in person for better luck. A salesperson can assess your interest and decide to work with you, so when you say "This is so expensive... I don't know if this is possible or not... but is there any way that I could receive a discount on this? I really do love it... but... ", they're more inclined to want to say "yes". In the end, they can just as easily say "no". Many people have purchased the same watch - without a discount.

As for the authorized dealer comment... it's my understanding that when stores carry specific brands, the policies at the store may be a reflection of the relationship between the store and the brand. So, while a store may offer a discount with some brands, they may not be permitted to offer a discount with other brands. This happens all the time at Saks/Neiman Marcus/etc. Maybe that's what the person meant, when he refused to offer a discount (?)

HTH. Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree it is easier to negotiate in person, but local dealer won't budge so am having to call places out of town.

I agree that stores with certain brands are supposed to sell at the manufacturer's retail price with no discounts, and some will absolutely not budge and tell you you're wrong if you say another store will. However, I have repeatedly had the experience with brand-name jewelry that if you look long and hard enough, there are authorized dealers who will offer a discount. The reality is that the mark-up on jewelry is very, very high so even at a discount they are making a significant profit. I have found that in these cases, they will typically only tell you in person or via phone and not by e-mail. My guess is they don't want it in writing.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience with finding discounts on designer jewelry!

Good luck on your hunt!

I agree it is easier to negotiate in person, but local dealer won't budge so am having to call places out of town.

I agree that stores with certain brands are supposed to sell at the manufacturer's retail price with no discounts, and some will absolutely not budge and tell you you're wrong if you say another store will. However, I have repeatedly had the experience with brand-name jewelry that if you look long and hard enough, there are authorized dealers who will offer a discount. The reality is that the mark-up on jewelry is very, very high so even at a discount they are making a significant profit. I have found that in these cases, they will typically only tell you in person or via phone and not by e-mail. My guess is they don't want it in writing.

I don't think this is the type of thing you can call up and ask. Who knows, maybe Cartier calls and periodically asks to be sure their brand is being protected. You may have to do this in person. Wait until you travel somewhere and go to various dealers in that area.