Where to sell/consign luxury clothing?

vhsethan

O.G.
Jul 18, 2007
My mother passed away this past October and we have an entire closet full of St. John knit that she wore only on occasion. Where is the best place to consign St. John? I'd obviously like to get as much $ as possible.

(Please note that this may sound insincere, but we have donated almost all other clothing and I cannot appreciate the pieces in my own wardrobe as I am a gay man).

Yes, I've consigned some St. John jackets before. You have to go on a fill out a quote request from their website and they answer you with the price they will sell it for. Then you can send them if you agree to the prices they send back to you. They only consign them they don't buy them upfront though. And if the items you have total over $500 all together you can request a free shipping label.

Thanks! Do you have any experience in this? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options on these sites.

I have purchased from them in the past ..im sure you could find more info about them here.

May we ask what city do you live in? There may be some local consignment places that will take your items and give you a quote on the spot. yelp.com may be a good resource

Do you guys have suggestions for sites that buy / consign designer clothing? I had a terrible experience with The RealReal so I’ll never consign with them again. I’d prefer not to use eBay, Tradesy or Poshmark, either. I realize I’m limiting myself with these exclusions, but I’m hoping there’s a site like Fashionphile that buys items straight out, but for clothing. I have a lot of high end items I just don’t wear - a lot still NWT. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

I’d do a search here of the many thredUP horror stories before taking this advice.
Yeah, I think a lot of my items are a little too high end for them anyway. Yoogi’s is looking like the best one so far and they also do cash payouts, which is a lot better than waiting for The RealReal to send commission on items priced ridiculously low (I sent them an Erdem dress, a Dolce & Gabbana from last season, and a gorgeous Burberry leather jacket, all NWT. They priced the items so low they all sold within 12 hours. They somehow lost the tags on the jacket and scratched the front of it, so a brand new $3600 jacket sold for $325 of which I received 55%. It all sold before I saw what they priced them at). Also, TRR takes terrible photos. For shoes (and some bags), I’ve always sold to Fashionphile, but they no longer accept most brands now. Only CL, Gucci, Chanel, Hermés, and Valentino. I know most items depreciate tremendously as soon as you buy them, but I’d rather give it away than sell it for a penny on the dollar.

Yeah, I think a lot of my items are a little too high end for them anyway. Yoogi’s is looking like the best one so far and they also do cash payouts, which is a lot better than waiting for The RealReal to send commission on items priced ridiculously low (I sent them an Erdem dress, a Dolce & Gabbana from last season, and a gorgeous Burberry leather jacket, all NWT. They priced the items so low they all sold within 12 hours. They somehow lost the tags on the jacket and scratched the front of it, so a brand new $3600 jacket sold for $325 of which I received 55%. It all sold before I saw what they priced them at). Also, TRR takes terrible photos. For shoes (and some bags), I’ve always sold to Fashionphile, but they no longer accept most brands now. Only CL, Gucci, Chanel, Hermés, and Valentino. I know most items depreciate tremendously as soon as you buy them, but I’d rather give it away than sell it for a penny on the dollar.
I wonder what you have decided...

I have been consigning with TRR for several years, but lately been disappointed by their service and handling of my items (they lost a pair of Gucci pants for 6+ months). I’m considering listing things myself or just looking for another place to consign. Can anyone share their experiences (positive or negative) selling designer clothing with vestiaire collective, Poshmark, or others? Or on the other hand can you recommend a consignment store that handles items with more care?