Best place to buy high-end watch?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello

I'm looking to buy a new watch.. Haven't really decided which but deciding among cartier, Rolex, bvlgari.

Should I buy directly from the said boutiques? I'd like to get a discount if possible even if its only for a little bit and I'm not sure if boutiques will take some percentage off? Or am I better off looking for a local jeweler?

How much can I realistically get off sticker price for these watches ?

Please share some experiences

Thanks!

2. Price really depends on what you're looking for in style & formality. Even within the different houses there are different types of dials, metals, bands, precious stones, etc.

Are you able to visit a watch dealer like Tourneau? You would have a decent variety to look at. I'm not really familiar with the various authorized dealers. I have read that authorized dealers (rather than the boutiques) can offer varying discounts - anywhere from none to up to 20% off.

I don't wear luxury watches, but my personal favorites to see on others are Rolex, Patek, Longines, Breguet, Baume & Mercier, Blancpain, Vacheron Constantin, and A.Lange & Sohne.

3. Rolex and Cartier both are pretty strict about discounting. However, you could probably snag a Bvlgari at a sizable discount on the grey market (40-75% off most gold watches). Rolex is usually only discounted 5-10% so you are better off purchasing at an authorized dealer for the warranty. As for Cartier, you can find certain models discounted between 20 and 35% on the grey market. At an authorized dealer, you probably wouldn't get much more than 20% unless you are really good at haggling.

4. The authorized dealers do sometimes give discounts. You have to shop around. Same with local jewellers. It's a bit more work but a part of the buying process I really enjoy. Be friendly, let the SAs educate you and among your questions ask toward the end if they might be able to get you a better deal.

Don't suggest you start your conversation asking for a discount. If your sales assistant thinks there is a very good chance of a sale that day you may get offered a sweetener.

Also I don't know if this appeals to you but a lot of authorized dealers take trade-ins and may have refurbished watches for sale which probably won't be on display. If so check what warranty would come with a refurbished watch.

5. I personally prefer going to the boutique. Buying duty free when you happen to be traveling out of country is one way of getting approx 18% discount.

6. When I bought my Rolex in late 2014, I did get a 16% discount. I live in a large city where there are 2 stores that carry Rolexes. The first has several locations in the state and I have bought a lot of things from them but they would not discount the watch at all. The second is a family owned store that I had purchased my upgraded wedding ring from 10 years earlier. I purchased my Rolex from them and got the discount after I reminded them about my ring. Also, they gave me a discount even though it had to be ordered since they didn't have the exact watch I wanted in stock.

7. Authenticwatches.com or jomashop.com are both great.