Travel Best Personal Item/Carryon Bag or Purse?

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
Seeing the threads of what people wear/take with them on long flights got me wondering what bag do you use as your personal item?? What with laptops, iPods, books, magazines, etc. it seems like people take a lot of stuff on the plane with them!

I have thought about getting an LV Neverfull because it seems we always carry a crap ton of stuff onto the plane and I like to have something that I can put my purse in, as well as other stuff. Right now I have a vinyl bag that I purchased at Target quite a few years ago but would like to upgrade to something a little more nice.

Honestly, I really never use my Neverfull except on a flight. I cannot imagine any other bag. On my last flight, I used my Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag and it was very uncomfortable. Everything fits in the Neverfull and it is so lightweight. I will never stray again.

I usually carry an Hermes Victoria as my handbag/carry-on. My laptop is a tiny 11", so it goes into a separate laptop bag on its own.

The Neverfull is a perfect size and weight, but my biggest problem is that it is open and doesn't zip up. I have a big problem with travelling without a zip bag - it makes me super uncomfortable.

I've also tried staying away from carrying LV and/or monogramed bags as a general rule when travelling. On a recent trip I bought an LV for my mom and couldn't fit it into my luggage, so I used it as a purse, and received a TON of comments made me very uncomfortable with the attention I was getting. So from then on, no monogramed anything for me on travels.

Longchamp Le Pliage with long handles - zips close. Big enough for laptop, purse, magazines, and easy to keep clean. I don't worry about putting it through the scanners and under the airplane seat.

I have a Ferragamo shoulder tote that I always use for travel. The leather is so sturdy - i'm constantly stuffing it under the seat in front of me, smooshing it into the overhead bin, losing it overboard as i'm wheeling my rollaway, etc . . . . still looks fine! i just give it a good conditioning after each trip and it's happy (^(oo)^)

plus, it holds a ton of stuff. i can fit:
  • 25cm birkin (in its dustbag) all the typical handbag items inside
  • netbook (sony p-series) & charger
  • quart-sized bag of liquids
  • sunglasses in their case
  • book
  • magazine
  • ipod
  • camera
  • folded shawl/wrap
  • a pair of socks
  • snacks
  • in a pinch, one pair of heels (although it refuses to zip if i put in the heels :P)
I especially like it for work trips because the sides have a kind of gusset, so it collapses into more of a rectangular shape when it's only got papers / folders in it.

as usual, piggy has photos (^(oo)^)

empty & briefcase shaped:
attachment.php

filled up & rotund :biggrin:
attachment.php

Honestly, I really never use my Neverfull except on a flight. I cannot imagine any other bag. On my last flight, I used my Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag and it was very uncomfortable. Everything fits in the Neverfull and it is so lightweight. I will never stray again.

That's why I'm not really sure I want to purchase one. It's a lot of money to only use a few times a year. I wouldn't be so worried about the monogram because I would get the damier ebene. Although I'm sure that is recognizable by some people as well.

Thanks for the suggestions and pics ladies!

I travel a ton for work and I alternate btw a Coach Convertible Sig Stripe bag since I don't really care if it gets dirty or a Le Pliage bag. In the bag I have my Kindle 3, iTouch, BB and phone, my netbook, an extra pair of socks and gloves, a scarf and antibac lotion.

I need a bag that is light, fits over my shoulder, but can be stored comfortably under the seat.

eta: and I always keep a LL Bean personal organizer in my luggage for my toiletries. I don't even have to unpack them anymore. It's a huge timesaver when you are on the road for at least 20 weeks of the year.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51638?feat=2936-GN2

Last edited:
i don't think a neverfull is the best choice because i think it's best to have a bag that can zipper shut. wouldn't want your bag falling over and stuff spilling out.

Our laptop is huge so we usually check it in the suitcase but with longer flights (we are going to Scotland in March) I would like to have it out because DH gets bored so easily. Maybe I just need to invest in a netbook instead of a bag. :biggrin:

I really like the Ferragamo that Piggy posted and never even considered a Bal. I might actually be able to get more use out of those than a Neverful considering (like it's been mentioned) the Neverful doesn't zip shut. I'm not as conerned about it getting dirty only because I have yet to have that problem on a plane. It's something to keep in mind but probably low on the priority list.

Mostly I just wanted to see what everyone else carried to give me some ideas so please keep them coming!!!

I use a large Longchamp Le Pliage which folds up into my purse. Onboard it's capable of holding my purse, laptop, paperwork, pillow...you name it. Oh and duty free shopping! Also, because it is proper luggage if I buy things on vacation it serves as an extra checked bag on the way home. I never really understood why the Pliage is so coveted until I got one.