Travel Best Personal Item/Carryon Bag or Purse?

Yes, several times and it's absolutely fine. It's the short handled version though - I'd worry that the longer handles would catch in the belts.

ETA it is not as clean as it would be were in never ever checked :biggrin:

I have a couple Floto travel bags that I bought years ago that I usually use on flights. They fit a ton and the leather is hardy so I don't worry too much about them getting messed up. They are, however, kind of heavy. I used to have a giant Furla duffel that I used, but the crossbody strap broke in the middle of Heathrow, which was a major bummer. Lately I've actually been using LeSportSac bags (either a travel tote or a large weekender) because they are so light weight, durable, easily washable and inexpensive. I love how light weight they are and how they fold down so tiny. I have a gimpy shoulder and back so it is really important to me to keep things as light as possible and the fact that they fold up tiny means I can start out with the smaller bag and pack the larger one to use once I acquire stuff during my trip. They may not be the most stylish, but they sure are functional :biggrin:

After much careful research ( ;) ) right now the Belen Echandia I'm Beautiful is sitting at the top of my list. It is a good size with zip tops and it also has a cross body strap to use if I get tired of using the top handles. I have to admit part of the appeal is being able to customize it with purple lining as well. :biggrin:

I use my Keepall 50 as a carryon and my Neverfull. But not at the same time because it's too much "brand" for me.

Amen to that.
I sold my LV Keepall 50 just because of the handle situation. It did not have one (did not have a hook either) and I just got tired of having all my stuff and my laptop in it. It made it so heavy that I'd have to stop every few feet and switch hands and then I'd end up getting achey shoulders.
I just was considering taking my big oversized Linea Pelle Satchel with just some magazines, maybe an extra pair of socks, whatever, and then keeping my laptop in its case over my shoulder.

ITA with all the support for the Longchamp Le Pliage. I put my BV (usually what I'm carrying for a purse) along with reading material, snacks, water, and anything else I want with me on board. During the trip it doubles as a shopping bag or if it's raining I can put my leather bag inside and zip it up. It's worth every dollar and then some.

I've been using my hermes herline tote, I think it's the biggest size. It has a zipper and lock. Fits my laptop, magazines, bottle water, whichever smaller bag I'm using. It also easily fits under the seat in front of me. Plus since it's pretty thick canvas fabric its held up very well, I used to use it as my school bag.

Last edited:
I don't know if you guys had this experience before, but my last trip turned me off of bringing designer handbags for a while. I brought my michael kors weekender and kate spade crossbody bag(bought last year) as a carry on and I packed my kate spade dust bag for when i wouldn't be using it.

When I was coming back to canada (i'm canadian..) they thought i was smuggling in designer handbags, and they searched ALL my luggage, and when they saw i had the kate spade dust bag he was convinced i bought it overseas and did not claim it on my customs form! And he was like where's the receipt for it? i was like i have no receipt! and he was like "well you have no receipt to prove that you didn't buy it overseas" and I was like :wtf:, and he was like next time try and carry the receipts.. the thing is i don't really keep receipts of something i bought some time ago.. anyways he let me go, because he couldn't really prove that i did buy it overseas, just me left traumatized.

anyways just wanted to share my horrific experience!!! it doesn't sound too common though, but just something to be aware of..

I use this orla kiely! I love that it has a padded shoulder strap, and is coated. I wipe it down with cleaning wipes after I use it. I've tried to use my leather bags, but I just can't. I'm too much of a germaphobe- the time I tried doing it, I wasted time sticking it in its dustbag before I put it through the scanner and under the seat and it just wasn't worth it. I've only ever had a problem fitting it under the seat when I had the weird electric box under the seat in front of me.

http://www.orlakiely.com/usa.cfm/bags/travel/10SE-LCO008/12958/_/

Looking into a carry on/purse like a longchamp. Does anyone know if the Longchamp Le Pliage Nylon Luggage will fit under an airplane seat when zipped at the middle in the smaller size? Or is it best for me to stick to the Le Pliage tote in Large.

Shown here:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/longcha...kingCode=5E9AA1C5-11A2-DE11-A7DF-002219319097

TIA!

i always use my large with the long handles as my carry on and it fits perfect under the seat and those dimensions are smaller. i would guess its probably too big, but its nylon so if u dont stuff it too much u could prob squeeze it under

Omg, I LOVE my neverfull for traveling...seriously. its the best. I love that I can pack it full or make it smaller if I have less stuff. seriously could not ask for a better back to use as a carry on!

the no zipper thing doesnt bother me...my neverfull is always upright, except for when it passes thru security and even then i just pull the sides in...no problem.

also, i only really use my neverfull for traveling and school (student in college) so to me it is fairly practical