Tech Best PC laptop to run Autocad

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
I've had MacBooks for 7 years now, but need to get a PC to run Autocad for design school.
I want something very light and portable, and not too expensive. I will only be using it for Autocad. I will probably get a mouse and inexpensive moniter to make working at home easier as well.

These are the requirements to run the program:

• 2 GB RAM
  • 1.8 GB free disk space for installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter 128 MB or greater, Microsoft® Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later
Any suggestions?

The issue you're going to have with ultrabooks is they need to save space by using a smaller battery and integrated components (ie a graphics chip will be on the motherboard instead of a dedicated card like in the laptops I linked), so that means either a slower CPU to save battery, or a better CPU with crappy battery life (this case is the former) and not very good graphics.
Honestly, with Autocad, you're going to have to choose between solid performance and a heavier laptop or marginal performance in a light laptop.

Thanks so much, that is helpful and so much more clear and concise than the info i get when I look online!
The issue you're going to have with ultrabooks is they need to save space by using a smaller battery and integrated components (ie a graphics chip will be on the motherboard instead of a dedicated card like in the laptops I linked), so that means either a slower CPU to save battery, or a better CPU with crappy battery life (this case is the former) and not very good graphics.
Honestly, with Autocad, you're going to have to choose between solid performance and a heavier laptop or marginal performance in a light laptop.

For widely available non-mac computers Lenovos are quality. The ThinkStations are best but for a laptop the ThinkPad ones are quite capable of handling heavy programs. If I had to buy a windows computer for some reason it would be a Lenovo (great specs).

By the way I would highly recommend you go above the minimum specs (they are really a bare minimum).

Cheaper but still powerful (500): http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e420

This ones a powerhouse: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/thinkpad/w-series

For AutoCAD use, just make sure you invest in a laptop with a very descent hardware specification such as:

Intel Core i7
4GB minimum RAM

Most importantly, something that has a workstation graphics class in it such as nVidia Quadro or ATI FireGL. Although GeForce or Radeon would work and its fine for games but Quadro will run circles on gaming graphic cards as far as 3D rendering and AutoCAD is concerned.