Best Offer Retraction: What is going on?

Kassandra.

O.G.
Sep 10, 2008
Hi ladies. I have listed some designer items on ebay. I have already received some best offers and some questions but i had 2 potential buyers retracting their best offers. I though that after placing a best offer the potential buyer should have a very good reason for retracting their offer. One of them placed the offer yesterday and retracted it after almost 12 hours. Could you please advise? Thank you.

Ugh...what a PITA. The only thing I could think of off the top of my head is that the buyer who retracted the offer found the same item for a better deal (or they could get it faster from the other person). If it's an item of clothing or shoes, they may have also realized that they need a different size (I get this all the time, because my newbie buyers tend not to know their size, and once they see my sizing guides they realize they probably need a different item)

Maybe they found something they liked better or a better price. I'm not that impatient, but some people are, and once you accept their offer, they've committed to buy the item. At least they retracted instead of becoming a NPB.

It's a designer bag and the only one of the kind listed on ebay right now. And it happened with 2 of my items not just one. I get so mad with those irresponsible buyers. What if I had accepted the offer? What I really do not undrestand is, is that so easy to retract a best offer? I thought retraction was possible only if the buyer had entered the wrong amount or the description of the item listed was changed, which of course is not the case here.

It's a designer bag and the only one of the kind listed on ebay right now. And it happened with 2 of my items not just one. I get so mad with those irresponsible buyers. What if I had accepted the offer? What I really do not undrestand is, is that so easy to retract a best offer? I thought retraction was possible only if the buyer had entered the wrong amount or the description of the item listed was changed, which of course is not the case here.

It really happens all the time. Don't worry about it. It has nothing to do with your items but people change their minds. No big deal.
If you have many offers, you will eventually get great one.:cool:

It's better that they changed their mind than if they bought and filed a claim for some bogus reason or if they bought and never paid for it.

Ebay has really become a crapshoot whereby buyers do not adhere to the rule that once you commit (bidding or offers) it is a contract to buy. As previously mentioned, it is probably better because they would end up being a PITA buyer anyway. Good luck! and hand in there, it is not always bad...

Thank you all for your replies! I realise that it is better that they retracted the offers but that doesn't make me less mad. You should think ahead placing a bid or an offer if you want/can pay the amount you are offering for the specific item. I guess from now on I will never list an item with a best offer option. Most people make extremely low offers for very expensive designer items. It is almost insulting. The best offer option is such a joke afterall. Lesson learned ladies. Thank you!

It really happens all the time. Don't worry about it. It has nothing to do with your items but people change their minds. No big deal.
If you have many offers, you will eventually get great one.:cool:

This!

I think it's more than likely that while they were waiting for a response they found something else they wanted and spent their money there. Maybe not the same bag but something else.

I am actually sitting on a best offer I made right now and I hope the seller gets back to me soon because I've found another possibility that may get scooped up in the meantime. I'll wait it out but I wish they would let me know already, :biggrin:.

Thank you all for your replies! I realise that it is better that they retracted the offers but that doesn't make me less mad. You should think ahead placing a bid or an offer if you want/can pay the amount you are offering for the specific item. I guess from now on I will never list an item with a best offer option. Most people make extremely low offers for very expensive designer items. It is almost insulting. The best offer option is such a joke afterall. Lesson learned ladies. Thank you!
You can set auto-decline and auto-accept prices so you don't have to deal with lowballs.

This!

I think it's more than likely that while they were waiting for a response they found something else they wanted and spent their money there. Maybe not the same bag but something else.

I am actually sitting on a best offer I made right now and I hope the seller gets back to me soon because I've found another possibility that may get scooped up in the meantime. I'll wait it out but I wish they would let me know already, :biggrin:.
The frustrating thing is sellers who don't respond to offers they don't like. They'll accept those that they like but they ignore others.

You can set auto-decline and auto-accept prices so you don't have to deal with lowballs.

The frustrating thing is sellers who don't respond to offers they don't like. They'll accept those that they like but they ignore others.

True, and even more likely if they find the offer insulting, though I don't think mine is. She has another offer pending so she's probably waiting to see what else comes in.

I don't know if anyone else does this but before I make an offer on an item I look to see if any other offers have been made and if the status is pending, declinded or expired. If I see numerous expired offers then I don't waste my time with an offer. I can recall one auction that had 21 expired offers over the course of a few weeks.

I don't know if anyone else does this but before I make an offer on an item I look to see if any other offers have been made and if the status is pending, declinded or expired. If I see numerous expired offers then I don't waste my time with an offer. I can recall one auction that had 21 expired offers over the course of a few weeks.

I do the same. Rightly or wrongly, I infer from expired offers that the seller isn't responsive. It is nice to receive a reasonably timely response to an offer.