Best offer etiquette?

Just wanted to add that some sellers intentionally price their items very high on Best Offer listings. Maybe because they know they'll get lowball offers. I will often look through the ended listings for the same item to see what they sold for and offer something in the median range, depending on condition, etc.

Wow that crazy do you have the auto-decline set up on your auctions too? Its saved me a lot of frustration because I no longer deal with those crazy buyers! I wonder if anyone actually accepts these ridiculous offers?

I always have auto-decline set up, yes its saved me a lot of time and frustration- I tell you, there are many crazy buyers with ridiculous offers!

I normally give a 20% discount. The most I would go would be 30% discount. Offer what you think is a reasonable price and if that is a price you would accept if you are the seller. Good luck!

I get offers all the time up to 90% off. I dont understand why people even bother

Some of them might be just trying to start the ball rolling...

You know - they offer you 90% off, you counteroffer with 10% off, they offer you 75% off, you counteroffer with 25% off, they offer you 60% off, you counteroffer with 50% off, they accept.

Or something like that?

Of course, they're probably ever hopeful that a seller will just accept the 90% off, but just because they offer that, doesn't mean it's, necessarily, their final offer.

Last edited:

You know - they offer you 90% off, you counteroffer with 10% off, they offer you 75% off, you counteroffer with 25% off, they offer you 60% off, you counteroffer with 50% off, they accept.

Or something like that?

Of course, they're probably ever hopeful that a seller will just accept the 90% off, but just because they offer that, doesn't mean it's, necessarily, their final offer.

OMG, does sound like bargain in down town Phuket in Thailand!

I get offers all the time up to 90% off. I dont understand why people even bother,

If I really want an item, I will offer then a REALISTIC offer.

HA me too! I've had $1600 bags with offers for 200 and 300, I reject, and they resubmit! It's insulting! I would say 10-15 percent is reasonable, 20 percent if the seller has a inflated price to begin with

I'm currently selling a Brand New Bag with tags (Jimmy Choo) which I paid $1,195+tax for, put it up for $789.99 OBO (because someone else has the same bag up for a BIN of $795.00) and someone had the nerve to offer me $300.00?? I was tempted to counteroffer with something like $500-$600 just to give her the "hint" that $300.00 was ridiculously low but I didn't even bother. She only had 2 feedback, so maybe it's due to inexperience? I personally think anywhere between 10-30% off the BIN is reasonable to offer.

Personally, I don't think there's an appropriate set percentage for this sort of thing. It depends on so many factors, such as asking price, retail value, rarity/perceived value of the item, condition, etc. etc. It's a case-by-case basis judgment call, and I usually formulate my offers depending on how much I want the item and what I believe is a fair price. I usually offer a little low, just like thithi said, because that's just how you haggle. I get ridiculously low-ball offers, as well, but don't take it personally. People are always going to want the best deal.

Or something like that?

True True! Some sellers would rather re-list over and over for a year till their items sells for a super high price! While others would rather sell quickly at a reasonable price! I have not gotten a 10% offer yet and i'm not sure how I would respond to that :confused1:

As a serious buyer, I start around 30% off list and am open to negotiating my way to a price both the seller and I are both happy with. Though I do research the item first so I know what the current market rate is for the item.

As a seller, I auto-decline on any offer more than 30% off my list. I block all lowballers and super picky bidders. My best experience has been with people who know my items very well as far as condition & authenticity and who have done their cost research.