Best, most carefree color?

Yodabest

Jan 1, 2016
I have two very much loved Evelynes that get used pretty much exclusively with my two kids and another along the way. One is etain and the other is gold. Yesterday while getting my younger one out of his car, my gold Evie must have hit against something because I went inside my house and saw there were black stains in 3 spots in front of the bag, one is over the white stitching. I brought it to my local boutique and the bag is going to the NYC to see what they can do to clean it, but the manager made no guarantees. I know bags are meant to be used but I’m usually cautious with my things and these things do bother me.

Since I love using the Evelyne so much I was thinking of getting a third but in a more carefree color since I use them with the kids so frequently. I love the look of a black Evie and asked the SA to please call me if a black one comes in, but wondering if there are other colors that should be on my radar, or if black is truly the best.

Sorry about your bag. Hopefully, it can get cleaned and as good as new. I too try to be cautious and am a bit upset when my bags get scratched, stained or ruined. I think black and any dark colors are the most carefree. I have a black and a Nata/off white Evelyne PM. Yeah the Nata is high maintenance as with all white and light colored bags. This one in particular I try to make sure my hands are clean when I touch the bag and don’t even button it up because you have to really handle it to close. I have seen other white Evelyn bags that are dirty because of that reason.

I have seen black and etoupe Evelynes PM and GM a number of times in the last 3 months on the Hermès.com site at around 10am EST/7am PST.

Reactions: raylyn and Yodabest
Sorry about your bag. Hopefully, it can get cleaned and as good as new. I too try to be cautious and am a bit upset when my bags get scratched, stained or ruined. I think black and any dark colors are the most carefree. I have a black and a Nata/off white Evelyne PM. Yeah the Nata is high maintenance as with all white and light colored bags. This one in particular I try to make sure my hands are clean when I touch the bag and don’t even button it up because you have to really handle it to close. I have seen other white Evelyn bags that are dirty because of that reason.

I have seen black and etoupe Evelynes PM and GM a number of times in the last 3 months on the Hermès.com site at around 10am EST/7am PST.

Thank you for the info! I know the black 29 often pops up, I’m debating if I should buy one from the website or wait for it to come in store to build up my profile.

I may pop into the boutique to see what other darker shades they have available in the 29 size. I love the look of black Evelynes, just not sure if thats boring given that Hermès does color so well!

Reactions: papertiger
I think the most 'carefree colour' for a bag is when you don't think if the colour and just think if it as a leather bag - so that means some kind of tan - the ubiquitous Hermes 'fauve'.
So if you were lucky enough to have barenia or peau de porc or croc, you could have it already as a colour, but you were really asking about Evelynes.
You already have gold and that would have been my first recommendation.
Unfortunately that has not been 'care free' for you.

To be honest, I think you were just unfortunate. On that occasion, black would have been 'care free'; but had the mark been from something light in colour, black would not have been 'care free'.
Instead of win win, it could be loose loose.

But I do believe a vintage fauve barenia could be the closest to 'care free', pick it up, throw it over your shoulder and be on your way.

I think the most 'carefree colour' for a bag is when you don't think if the colour and just think if it as a leather bag - so that means some kind of tan - the ubiquitous Hermes 'fauve'.
So if you were lucky enough to have barenia or peau de porc or croc, you could have it already as a colour, but you were really asking about Evelynes.
You already have gold and that would have been my first recommendation.
Unfortunately that has not been 'care free' for you.

To be honest, I think you were just unfortunate. On that occasion, black would have been 'care free'; but had the mark been from something light in colour, black would not have been 'care free'.
Instead of win win, it could be loose loose.

But I do believe a vintage fauve barenia could be the closest to 'care free', pick it up, throw it over your shoulder and be on your way.

Thanks for your response!:heart:
Just trying to think of how a light stain would show up over black. What type of stain are you referring to, for example?

e.g.
paint - you brush against a wall or woodwork that is not properly dry
or nail varnish

extreme, perhaps, but you did not explain how you got your black marks

I was suggesting that it is not possible to future proof against everything

Reactions: Yodabest
Thanks for your response!:heart:
Just trying to think of how a light stain would show up over black. What type of stain are you referring to, for example?
if you are unlucky enough to scrape a black bag against a wall or similar rough surface which then takes the top layer of the skin off and leaves a greyish bit-often seen on corners of black bags. (I've edited to add that @WhiteBus already listed this scenario in her above post)
I would go for Ebene or Etain or Bleu Nuit as a dark neutral.
If you tend to wear a lot of denim Bleu Nuit could be wonderful, and navy looks great with rust tones, ivory, black and of course summer whites it also goes well with grey

Reactions: Yodabest and Lejic
Black.

I have a black Evelyne that was soaked completely through when the galley wall gave way in an airplane. I am 90% sure that what flooded the cabin was part ice water and part coffee water and that any other color bag would have shown stains. My Evie actually looks fine.

This is one reason I also love Clemence :smile:

Black.

I have a black Evelyne that was soaked completely through when the galley wall gave way in an airplane. I am 90% sure that what flooded the cabin was part ice water and part coffee water and that any other color bag would have shown stains. My Evie actually looks fine.

This whole story is like :shocked::wtf::panic:

Black + 1

A colleague of mine carelessly drew a 2 inches line on my black bolide with her blue BIC ball pen! The blue line was obvious under general day light even on black colour leather and I was very upset. I remember docride said ink mark is one of the worst stain to get rid of and it has to be treated within 1 hour. I then ran into the H shop near by and asked for a quick spa service, but the SA said the spa is overloaded after summer holiday and it would take 1 month to send me quotation for spa service and take at least 3 months for spa. I didn't left the bag to the spa. On that evening I tried to clean the mark with the Saphir Creme to see how it would be. After some rubbing some blue ink mark left on the cloth and the pen mark wasn't shown on the bag anymore. I know that Saphir cream is not able to completely clean the ink mark. I think it's just cleaned the ink on the leather surface, and the dried ink mark just didn't show on black leather. I am sure if the ball pan mark was drew on my Etain or Graphite H bag, the dried ink will be shown and would be a disaster. Now my bolide looks normal nothing happened.

So with kids I highly recommend black bag.

Black.

I remember reading about this!! Amazing!