Best masks?

LaVisioneer

Apr 3, 2018
Had a question for everyone:

I'm having trouble finding properly fitting cloth masks. I've tried 3 or 4 different styles and they are all too big, so that the chin is really loose or the mask creeps up to my eyes. I have to keep pulling it down, so it's getting annoying (and not good to be touching face often).

Tightening the ear straps doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any masks you found that are particularly small? Any hacks?

Even googling "extra small face mask" brings up only unisex designs in one size fits all.

For reference I can almost fit into a kids size bike helmet so I guess my face is smaller than I thought...

It might make you look like a weirdo, but you can wear a nylon stocking over any mask to improve the seal. There was a study mentioned in the news about it, and they found that doing this made the mask almost as effective as medical grade masks.

I haven’t done this myself, but I have worn a boho bandeau over a mask and I think it had a similar effect. Because it stops the mask from moving around, I found that I never had to touch or adjust it. Any type of tight fabric headband (like the kind for yoga) could work.

I like atoms brand. They’re synthetic and hug the face and are washable. the Loops are comfortable. And, bc it lies close to the face, both DH and I can wear them and we have different sized ans shaped faces :smile: .

It might make you look like a weirdo, but you can wear a nylon stocking over any mask to improve the seal. There was a study mentioned in the news about it, and they found that doing this made the mask almost as effective as medical grade masks.

I haven’t done this myself, but I have worn a boho bandeau over a mask and I think it had a similar effect. Because it stops the mask from moving around, I found that I never had to touch or adjust it. Any type of tight fabric headband (like the kind for yoga) could work.

I never considered using an outer layer for my mask before. That’s food for thought. I suppose if you use a black or dark-colored stocking, it would look better?

My mom says she’s been putting facial tissues inside her mask as a protective layer. Just FYI if you don’t have filters.

I don’t own Athleta masks, but I heard they’re good. I might consider getting some. Their site reviews and also their review from USA Today have been positive: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-tested-athleta-tom-bihn-and-more/3278947001/

I never considered using an outer layer for my mask before. That’s food for thought. I suppose if you use a black or dark-colored stocking, it would look better?

My mom says she’s been putting facial tissues inside her mask as a protective layer. Just FYI if you don’t have filters.

I don’t own Athleta masks, but I heard they’re good. I might consider getting some. Their site reviews and also their review from USA Today have been positive: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-tested-athleta-tom-bihn-and-more/3278947001/
I routinely wear two masks for work. Most people in healthcare have to wear two masks due to the shortage in ppe. Gotta keep your most important mask as clean as possible bc you’re probably wearing or rewearing that thing way longer than you should.

I have the same issue. I get these in the tween size. I love the calming colors and designs. I have bought multiples of these.

Reactions: LaVisioneer

lol sorry replying late here! Yes I saw this. Studies I read prior to vivid about home made masks suggest fit is more important than mask material. A poorly fitted n95 is roughly as effective as a fit-tested cotton mask.

Not sure if this is allowed but here are some cotton masks I found that I think give a very good fit, as they are designed similar to n95 and have multiple sizes and adjusting ear loops:

So far might be my favorite one I have tried!

Have you tried any of this style? I had trouble with elastic falling off my ears/having to pull them down all the time until someone recommended them to me. These seem to work because they just fit the front of the face, and they're held under the chin by the tension from the elastic (which goes up and over a ponytail).

Have you tried any of this style? I had trouble with elastic falling off my ears/having to pull them down all the time until someone recommended them to me. These seem to work because they just fit the front of the face, and they're held under the chin by the tension from the elastic (which goes up and over a ponytail).

Yes, i prefer this type of strap. Ear loop masks are torture for my ears. I like the kind with two elastic head straps or tie back style. I have to use ear savers with any ear loop masks, which can be annoying.