Best makeup applicator brushes?

Jinsun

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
I just bought this sephora brush set today for $150.00. My first official set. I have a powder and eyeshadow brush from the sonia kashuk line from Target and a eyeliner brush (paint brush) from an arts and crafts store.

How good are the sephora brushes? People keep telling me that good brushes are essential when applying makeup.

I have to agree with PlushKitty and say that Shu Uemura makes the best brushes. I work with a Laura Mercier mixed with some MAC ones but I REALLY WANT a set from Shu Uemura...they are so, so soft and will last a long time if you take care of them.

I'm not sure about Sephora brushes as I haven't used them before. My first (and only) set of brushes were from Shu Uemura and they are incredible. I got them many years ago and still using them. They are still in tip-top condition.

I've found that Sephora brushes are a hit or miss for me. The misses are their bigger brushes. The large powder brush and portable pop-up powder brush I got from them were absolutely awful. The smaller brushes have been fine though. I use their retractable lip brushes and eye shadow brushes a lot.

For best low end brushes, I like Sonia Kashuk. I have a powder brush from her line that I've been using for years. The quality is actually better than some higher end brushes I've tried. The one I have is the blue handle though. For some reason, when they changed their handles to white, the quality decreased. Odd.

Again, a vote for MAC from me! I own a few full-sized ones from them, and they are essential in my makeup application! I also have the short-handled travel sets and they are also great, thought not as soft as the full-sized ones.

I don't know about Sephora brushes, but that looks like a nice set!

Dior Blush Brush is the best I have ever used. its so soft. Love it.

but i like the set you have. thats really great. wish I thought of that. I bought my brushes here and there from different brands.

and Sephora is the professional so your purchase is probably well spent

PS- what is the white furry poof on the far left for?

Jinsun - I ordered that set from Sephora also but have not used it yet. I will probably try it out this weekend so I will let you know how I feel about it. But I have used Sephora brushes in the past, and I think they are ok for everyday use.
I agree with your comment that makeup brushes are very important, perhaps more so than the actual makeup you use.
I really like the brushes by Kevin Aucoin, in fact I love all of the products by KA. They are pricey but I think absolutely worth it. Also, if you use good brushes, you end up using less makeup because the brush 'holds' and applies the makeup better. KWIM?

I have some sephora professional brushes - I really like the angled blush brush. prior to that blush brush I was using Macs & Lancolms which I now hate. I think Sephora's brushes are a fabulous value.

I can not stand brushes that shed everytime you use them or feel like horse hair across your face.

My all time favorite brush though is my Nars bronzer brush.

i would say they are mid quality brushes, great for starter, you will get a very nice makeup application with it...i personally want to build a Laura Mercier and Kevyn Aucoin brush collection now =)