Best LV for my mother?

Rachel Les Paul

Madrid, land of Rock
Jun 16, 2012
Hi girls!

I like to have your wonderful advice. :smile:

In November will be the birthday of my mother and I want to make a great gift, we live in different cities (in Spain) and I miss her so much also this year my mother has gone through bad times and I want that when we see again in November all will be perfect ... good breakfast at a cafe, take her to lunch at a nice restaurant, go to the movies together like old times ... and give some special gifts.

One of those gifts I want to be a LV bag, but I do not know what I´ll buy ... until a few days I thought about buying the Delightful, but now I doubt also among the Galliera and Totally, all MM in size.

My mother will be 59 years, is about 5.3 and is of normal complexion, somewhat robust, but okay.
It is a working woman and in winter always keeps a scarf or light jacket inside the bag, water, large wallet, keys, cell phone, agenda, sunglasses....I guess everything normal.
She likes big bags, but still comfortable and with spacious handles because during the winter she wears big warm coats because they spend much time on the street waiting for public transport to get to work. Need a bag nice and comfortable.

What recommend me?

All three would be great choices but the Totally has a zipper - is this something your mom would prefer?

Of your choices, I would choose the Galliera (larger size - GM i think) Very big! Comfy! Nice strap drop and a magnetic closer. Can also be a little more dressy. GL!

I think the Totally MM would suit best.

It has a zippered top, and side compartments and wide flat straps for comfort.

Because she takes public transport, a zippered close for a bag is a must!!

Is there a LV boutique where y'all will be in Novemeber ? If so,why don't you take her shopping and let her pick out a bag? Don't forget between now and then there wil be some new release bags that might fit her style .
But my vote now is for the Totally .

Don't know if she has one but seems like a lot of older ladies like the damier speedy 25. My mom always told me that as you get older, she doesn't want to carry big bags. Good luck to you!! And it's nice if you to think of such a great gift for your mom.

Is there a LV boutique where y'all will be in Novemeber ? If so,why don't you take her shopping and let her pick out a bag? Don't forget between now and then there wil be some new release bags that might fit her style .
But my vote now is for the Totally .

In her city there is no LV store, so I'm as dubious, because she can´t try before ...:hrmm:

She has some bags of good brands, but for years she didn´t buy any more because she did not like very much to spend on these things, she works hard and has to keep his house, running alone with all expenses ... and all the money left to her always devoted to others, to buy things for the family, inviting .... never thinks of herself :nogood: and it's time for someone to return all favors!

So I´ll buy the LV for her on her birthday and at Christmas I'll give for her a new wallet monogram (will decide later the design...) she certainly deserves it.

I think it is true that the Totally can be a great option for the zipper, once on the street walking in the city center someone stole her old wallet, she had it in her purse and she did not even notice, but was very sad because she lost a lot of money and documentation....from that she is very cautious, so yes, it is true that a bag with zipper will make her feel safer!

Many thanks girls!! :hugs:

Don't know if she has one but seems like a lot of older ladies like the damier speedy 25. My mom always told me that as you get older, she doesn't want to carry big bags. Good luck to you!! And it's nice if you to think of such a great gift for your mom.

mmmm.....well, she has beautiful and lightweight bags for shopping, or go to dinner .... but she works 5 days a week and really the bags that she use most often have to be a little large and practical, because she hates having to carry a plastic bag to carry water, scarf and stuff to work ... so she needs a new bag nice and roomy, but Speedy is a good idea to give to her later! :love:

I have something good for her, because she really deserves it, always been a good good mother and a brave and special woman, deserves much more than she has, I wish we saw more often!

Thank you for your help!

I going to chime in as a 55 year old mother of three. I don't like the totally at all. I think it looks like a diaper bag and out of all the bags it literally is the last one I would pick to be honest. I know it's a tote and has a zipper and for some reason people on the forum always recommend it for us "moms" that are "older," but I honestly don't know anyone my age that loves this bag or would pick it. It's not a style that most people my age love. I like the artsy, but I do understand your concern about the open top. Let me recommend a few that are really wonderful and very carefree. My favorite is the Trevi. Hand carry or shoulder, damier Ebene and gorgeous. But it is pricey. Next would be the damier Ebene speedy 30. Sophisticated, carefree, gorgeous. No worries about rain. If you like mono, either a mono speedy 30 or 35, or the retiro which is gorgeous and can be hand-carried. If she likes cross-body, the Bloomsbury PM and GM are wonderful. The damier alma is absolutely gorgeous and you can get a strap for it.

You're going to get lots of people who say the totally, but before I'd pick that one, I think I'd take your mom to lunch snd let her pick. I'd wear a totally if my daughters bought me one and I had to so as to not hurt their feelings, but I would be sad to see them spend so much on something I felt didn't look like a purse, or have any sophistication or real beauty. Most of the women my age I know don't like the totally. (I actually don't know anyone that does except on the forum). My SA says she thinks it looks like a diaper bag too. Since LVs are do expensive, and purses are so personal, I think I might try to visit, have a mom daughter day and let her pick.

I think sometimes people recommend the totally because it's such a "safe" choice, but a first LV bag should make your breath quicken and your heart beat faster. Excitement. Somehow, that's just not a totally.

Your a wonderful daughter! This is one of the sweetest threads. Your mom is lucky to have you and is going to be so thrilled.

Oh, the Westminster is very nice too, reminds me (though not really resemble) the Neverfull but with zipper! I never noticed on that model!

Charleston-mom, thank you very much for giving me your opinion, I gain helpful to read your opinions to have other ways of seeing things.

I'm happy to have discovered the forum, unfortunately in my country it is unusual to carry LV, Balenciaga, or Chanel bags, it´s not normal ... so I have no one to talk to all these things and I'm glad that you share with me your opinions!