Travel Best luggage brand?

oooo the perfect thread since I've been asking my friends for advice on luggage lately.

Sorry if this is a silly question but are there any brands of large (check-in size) hard-shelled luggage that are not too heavy? I always have trouble packing within the weight limit so didn't want to further restrict myself in case hardshells weigh significantly more than the usual soft luggage.

Also, I'm in Alberta, Canada so does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy luggage and which brands are good and available here? Without wanting to spend a fortune, I can only think of the Bay or Sears ...

Tumi is great. In particular I have a wheeled backpack that is hands down the most functional piece of luggage I have ever used. I'm in consulting so I travel a bit. The extra pockets are perfect and even on the busiest flights I have never been asked to check it. Usually the FAs look at it and say "we can find a place for that!" It's the Peterson wheeled backpack. I have the previous version of it. I cant say enough good things about it.

Tumi is great. In particular I have a wheeled backpack that is hands down the most functional piece of luggage I have ever used. I'm in consulting so I travel a bit. The extra pockets are perfect and even on the busiest flights I have never been asked to check it. Usually the FAs look at it and say "we can find a place for that!" It's the Peterson wheeled backpack. I have the previous version of it. I cant say enough good things about it.
Thank you for the recommendation. It is really difficult to find the right luggage in the sea of brands and products. I am going to examine this one.

Any thoughts on RIMOWA?
Louis Vuitton? (seriously! if the cost per wears adds up to 30 years, almost any price is OK for me)

Today my parents returned from the vacation: with our old American tourister suitcases. By old I mean OLD: we have been using them since 1971!! if not even longer. They are incredibly cool and I might even inherit them one day, which won't be soon, hopefully.
Immense quality, beautiful design.

Today my parents returned from the vacation: with our old American tourister suitcases. By old I mean OLD: we have been using them since 1971!! if not even longer. They are incredibly cool and I might even inherit them one day, which won't be soon, hopefully.
Inherited 1--thought kept 2, but alas no.:huh:
Impossible to kill. And no one will steal.
Fabulous. Those keys, with smile & jaunty hat!:P

Never use, however.
As travel carry-on only.
But nice memories & back-up, if needed.:smile:

Any luggage no longer needed, please consider donating it to a women's shelter. As a volunteer, I found out that was one of the top items the ladies leaving their abusers needed.

They need to get out quickly, most don't have suitcases & were using paper bags etc to take their clothing. Which don't hold much.
This is such a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing this tip. :smile:

Samsonite spinners. Indestructible and SO easy to maneuver through a narrow aisle ...
Yep, they are great for this! I fly a lot for work, and getting through a narrow aisle, is so much easier with the spinners.

I second Antler luggage. Mine is a 4-wheeler, very lightweight and durable. It has 10 years warranty!
I'd third this, I've had my Antler for 20 years and it's still going strong.

I've got a number of suitcases, Samsonite, Antler are by far my favourite brands... so reliable and never let me down.

I've got one from Ted Baker too, which cost a fair bit of money, it looks so pretty, but in terms of durability, the leather on it got scratched up and the functionality of the luggage was just poor in comparision.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is really difficult to find the right luggage in the sea of brands and products. I am going to examine this one.

Any thoughts on RIMOWA?
Louis Vuitton? (seriously! if the cost per wears adds up to 30 years, almost any price is OK for me)

I almost bought a Rimowa but for me, it doesnt have the functionality of that Tumi. Same with LV although I believe LV has been redesigned so possibly has changed. Those extra pockets on the side of that particular Tumi bag make a huge difference. I can usually keep my beauty gear in the side pockets (hairbrush too) which keeps it separate from clothes etc. The pockets are super roomy. There are so many pockets on that bag!
I have never used it as a backpack, but someone in the Tumi store told me that she has carried it as a backpack and therefore had two carry ons. I have never done that, I usually have the Tumi and a purse/tote for personal items. I think it would be a tight fit under the seat and impossible if the plane has an entertainment box.
It is not the lightest bag however and can get heavy picking it up and putting it in the bin. I always tell people if they offer to get my bag out because it looks small and therefore lighter than it actually is.
But again, best features are number of pockets and that it gets the respect from FAs as a carry on. They appreciate that you're not trying to get a giant bag on the plane.

That's awesome on the American Tourister luggage your parents are using.

Reactions: lovely_bag
oooo the perfect thread since I've been asking my friends for advice on luggage lately.

Sorry if this is a silly question but are there any brands of large (check-in size) hard-shelled luggage that are not too heavy? I always have trouble packing within the weight limit so didn't want to further restrict myself in case hardshells weigh significantly more than the usual soft luggage.

Also, I'm in Alberta, Canada so does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy luggage and which brands are good and available here? Without wanting to spend a fortune, I can only think of the Bay or Sears ...

Heys Canada has a great SUPER light hard shell luggage in two cabin sizes. It comes in red, orange, black, grey, purple, and pink. They have 4 wheels and are the lightest luggages I have ever found. It's called XCASE 2G and has a lifetime guarentee

Love Rimowa! I have been using the Salsa Air and Salsa for several years, and they last an last! I am not a fan of too much compartments in the inside, so they fit my bill perfectly. Plus they are so lightweight...

We have found some lightweight Travel Pro luggage collections that we like. After several overseas trips they still look great. Prices are reasonable, too. If I had to make a choice again, I'd buy the style with 4 wheels rather than 2. That's the only thing I'd do differently. We're loyal to Travel Pro.

i am dying for a rimowa next time i'm in europe, but i have a travel pro that i beat up and bring everywhere. i just bought it off amazon for like $170 i think, and i like that the wheels let the luggage spin in a circle. i read a bunch of reviews and i think i have the one that all the travel agents use. it's definitely very durable but not a aesthetically pleasing. but europe is like 30% cheaper!! if i weren't saving for my wedding/honeymoon i would have definitely got one when i was in paris earlier this year!!!

Any thoughts on RIMOWA?

I have a Rimowa Salsa Air Ultra Light and I think it's awesome. My top priority is weight: I only travel only with a carry-on so for long trips I need to pack as much as I can yet still stay under the weight limit; I haven't seen any suitcase that is lighter. My second priority is mobility: the luggage has to be able to keep up with me once I'm off the plane so it needs to roll smoothly and be easy to handle. I like that it's a spinner because it can roll by my side and I don't have to worry about running over or tripping someone while dragging it behind. I can also easily go on and off escalators, moving walkways -- the handle retracts and telescopes so quickly that I don't miss a beat. I also like that it's a waterproof shell so I don't have to worry about rain or splashes while walking around with it.