Best light ash brown hair dye?

Dec 14, 2006
I can't afford to go to the salon to dye my hair right now, so I'm looking for a light ash brown hair dye that won't leave my hair brassy. I've used Preference and I like it, but it comes out a tad more orange than I would like and not ashy enough. My hair is naturally really dark brown but it takes color really well, so I get the lightness I want but not the right tone. When I go to the salon they dye it and then use a toner after, is there a similar product I can use at home? Or does anyone know a drugstore brand that won't come out brassy? Thanks!

Yes! I love Wella ColorCharm toner. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. My hair is blonde (dyed from medium brown) and gets brassy SO easily- this completely negates that. Be sure to buy a developer (I use 20 vol.- it says on the box which one to get, but when in doubt, ask a sales associate.) The toner does lighten, but it might not lighten enough to take your hair from dark brown to light brown.

Yes! I love Wella ColorCharm toner. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. My hair is blonde (dyed from medium brown) and gets brassy SO easily- this completely negates that. Be sure to buy a developer (I use 20 vol.- it says on the box which one to get, but when in doubt, ask a sales associate.) The toner does lighten, but it might not lighten enough to take your hair from dark brown to light brown.

I love Wella Color Charm toner. The best I use :tup: