Best leather for a workhorse Birkin?

I read (somewhere on tPF I think) that Vache Liegee was Hermes answer to the discontinued Ardennes . . .?

I've not had my paws on the Buffalo Birkin yet, but do drool with curiosity when one pops up on eBay.

^^^^ Vache Liegee has reportedly been discontinued, to be replaced by Vache Trekking.

I have a black Birkin 35 in VL and I can definitely attest to it's ruggedness! That bag can take anything....

My Barenia Kelly is my workhorse. It's only a 28cm so it isn't heavy. I do my best to keep it away from oil and such, but I really don't baby it much. Everything blends in and it just looks better and better with each wear. Love Barenia!

I love my Buffalo B. too, as it has a very unique look and is pretty indestructible and weather proof.

It doesn't slouch as much as Clemence but isn't quite as stiff looking as Togo. It's not that easy to find now, but if you find one, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Interesting that Buffalo is lined in Buffalo - I love that! I bet the denting is less than Chevre for sure. Sigh, another leather to add to the wish list.

SDuet DROOL to your contrast stitching Buffalo. YUM. I love your new Kelly too (I sent my congrats in the Web finds thread. :biggrin: )

I have only seen the Trekking at a reseller's site - I am interested to see how the leather wears after some lucky tPfer has had one for awhile maybe they can report. :P

^ BirkinObsessed- we are walking in each other's footsteps tonight!! I too am interested in Trekking. I begin to lose track after awhile.....ardennes, then VL, now trekking.

Buffalo bags can also be lined in chevre, though most are lined with buffalo.

From my personal use so far, I would agree that there is less denting on the interior of the bag. Mine actually has none so far, and I don't take any special precautions. The buffalo that is used on the interior is much more heavily "textured" than on the exterior of the bag. The best way to describe the interior is "rugged".

Buffalo is waterproof, one of its attributes.
I had a Buffalo bag drenched in a downpour and it dried to perfection.
Weight about same as Clemence

In complete agreement with golconda. The buffalo doesn't seem to mind rain in the least.

I actually weighed mine against the same size bag in Clemence, and the buffalo is a few ounces less.:P

I agree, Buffalo wears like steel, but it does slouch after tons of use.
Buffalo is lined in buffalo rather than chevre.

I've used mine regularly since buying it in 2004, and I've found that it does soften up a bit but slouches less than Clemence. (I do keep it stored with the air pillows in it, on it's side in the box when it's not in use, though.)