Travel Best family Vacation in Continental USa

brutalangel

mean people suck
O.G.
Jul 30, 2007
I am hoping to get some advice on a fabulous vacation spot for my family. Originally, my hubby and I were planning for Mexico, Puerto Rico or Hawaii, but plans have changed. :sad: He has requested that we stay in continental US since his company pay for a large portion of it if we do.

This trip can take place anytime from May to Sept. We will have a 3 month old ( 3 mos. to 6 mos. during time frame), 16 y/o boy and 10 y/o boy.

I really need a beachy vacation. I'm in need of a tropical location if possible and would love a natural, sort of organic setting. We have been to the following places (mostly big cities), so I would love somewhere new:

San Fran
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Denver
Chicago
NYC
Philly
DC
New Orleans
Orlando
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami
Biloxi/Mobile area
you get the idea....

Does anyone have a destination that they can suggest? I was considering southern California.:shrugs:

THANKS!!

Last edited:
Southern California - San Diego, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Los Angeles, Santa Monica

Florida Keys

Lake Tahoe - sandy beaches, watersports, warm, sunny days w/no humidity and practically zero chance of rain or bad weather, cool nights

^^^Martha's Vineyard, too.

Amelia Island, FL
Hilton Head Island, SC

Not tropical or beachy, but something the boys will never forget would be a trip to the Grand Canyon. Everyone should go there at least once in their lives.

I am looking at a few of the suggestions now - Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming. :tup:

Florida, North Carolina, Cape Cod area, N.C., S.C. and Southern CA all seem like viable options. I am going to look into some of the accommodations in these areas. I really want a natural, organic, relaxed, lush environment. Ideally, the location would be "green" and family friendly. I am not asking for much..right? :smile: Since I have lived most of my life in New Orleans and now live in Denver....I will be staying away from those areas/terrains for now.

I am imagining a quiet rental home on the beach, tropical pool setting, close to a small quaint town or community, yet within 10 miles of ammenities and attractions. My days will be full of lounging in sun, sand, casual fun, water and great food. The boys (including my hubby) can walk to the town to get ice cream and I can browse some boutiques. As leisurely as possible of course. But, every 3 days I want to go to a big city or attraction. I can't possibly be pickier -ugh.

THANKS for the ideas - I will keep u all posted

I am imagining a quiet rental home on the beach, tropical pool setting, close to a small quaint town or community, yet within 10 miles of ammenities and attractions. My days will be full of lounging in sun, sand, casual fun, water and great food. The boys (including my hubby) can walk to the town to get ice cream and I can browse some boutiques. As leisurely as possible of course. But, every 3 days I want to go to a big city or attraction. I can't possibly be pickier -ugh.

You just described the Nantucket/MV/Cape Cod area!

I am looking at a few of the suggestions now - Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming. :tup:

Florida, North Carolina, Cape Cod area, N.C., S.C. and Southern CA all seem like viable options. I am going to look into some of the accommodations in these areas. I really want a natural, organic, relaxed, lush environment. Ideally, the location would be "green" and family friendly. I am not asking for much..right? :smile: Since I have lived most of my life in New Orleans and now live in Denver....I will be staying away from those areas/terrains for now.

How about Seaside or Watercolor in Florida-east of Destin. Those towns would be great for kids to be able to walk around, there are shops and restaurants and nice beaches. What do you want for a city or attraction? There isn't a huge city nearby by you are in driving distance of Pensacola/Destin/Panama City.

How about Seaside or Watercolor in Florida-east of Destin. Those towns would be great for kids to be able to walk around, there are shops and restaurants and nice beaches. What do you want for a city or attraction? There isn't a huge city nearby by you are in driving distance of Pensacola/Destin/Panama City.

YES...the Florida panhandle is beautiful...Gulf water and white sand.

Another option is the Golden Isles...4 barrier islands off the coast of southern Georgia (Sea Island, St Simons Island, Jekyll Island and Little St Simons). We stayed on Jekyll Island last year and had a blast. You fly into Savannah or Jacksonville and drive to the islands.

http://www.jekyllisland.com/
http://www.gacoast.com/

Last edited: