Best excuses from sellers on ebay (haha!)

gratefull

Jan 8, 2010
Hi,

Just having fun here...

The thread on buyers' excuses is so funny, I had to start one about
excuses sellers use when they make a mistake, etc.!

Here's a few I've gotten: (from sellers on ebay, when i was buying)

- believe it or not, one seller used the "I was in the hospital" excuse!! haha.
Love it.
....And maybe she was. But it's just so funny...so cliche. ! :smile:
(product was in poor condition, I emailed her, didn't hear from her for a while)

- one time I ordered a beauty product, listed as NWT, unused, unopened.
I receive it, clearly opened, used, the top part missing, etc.
I email her, she says, "oh gee, I didn't know. ....That was actually my niece's, I'm selling for her. I didn't see it when I sent it" Come on.

- sometimes I bought something on ebay and never received it.
Last time that happened, I contacted the seller. They were like, "oh, gee, sorry, we didn't know!" (they didn't know they hadn't shipped it) :sad:
-- so they look into it, and they say, "Gee, sorry, we can't send you your bag, we lost it" !! hahaha ...they lost it and couldn't find it

(figured that was a message from the purse gods, lol)

can't think of any others at the moment, how about you?

I've heard (either from sellers I purchased others or as horror stories from friends):

-I had the item in my gym bag and was mugged; the thief made off with the item.

-I was moving out of my dorm and had the item sitting in the hallway; someone took it.

-My house/car was broken into.

-I spilled coffee/soda/ink/etc. on the item.

People really are something else sometimes...

I won a Chanel bag on ebay a few months ago and the seller had no reserve so it ended for much less than it should have. It was a bad day/time, IMO. Anyway, the seller refunded me within minutes of paying and told me they had issues with Paypal. I noticed they continued to sell on ebay even though they weren't able to collect funds from Paypal...interesting.

There was one lady who mentioned she won a designer item for an amazing price and the seller claimed they couldn't ship it because their DOG ATE IT!! She asked to see pics and the seller claimed they threw it away already! :P

The mugging one! Geez. Trying to gain sympathy and avoid a neg is what that sounds like!!

I want to hear more excuses for why a seller backs out of the sale!!!! I am sure there are some great ones!!
Great idea, OP!! :biggrin:

I bought WOC via BIN and paid immediately, 2 weeks later I saw the same WOC again for sale by the same seller, only this time it was minus card and hologram sticker picture in listing.

I ask seller to proof to me this is different WOC and she posted picture of card/hologram doesn't belong to this WOC which later it got removed but she relisted again, only to displayed the WOC without the hologram and card picture again, very dishonest seller.

Please compare and see for yourself this two listing number 170615783910 and 170619797424..avoid her.
The refund then offered with excuse, that the package was lost..

Why cant she just apologized that she wants more money, and can't send the wallet and refund me my money, not making every excuses and just refund!!... it took another week full of excuses to refund me at the end... so she have my money for 3 weeks, interest free loan from me? pffftttt

Few months ago, i won a lovely maxi gown for £3.
The dress cost £70 in the store. I paid and waited for my dress.
3weeks later, no dress!
I sent the seller an email asking where the dress was, she never replied.
Got my money back from paypal and i left negative.

She repiled me a week later saying, her son was sick and she had already posted the dress that i should please remove the feedback.
I felt sorry for her, remove feedback but never received the dress.
I emailed her again and never got a reply ever since!

How about:

I can't send this to you for the selling price because it sold too low and I'll lose on fees. This happened to me, seller demanded an extra $10 on a $90 item on which she accepted a best offer! Then wanted positive feedback. I didn't leave any.

I won a new Pottery Barn crib set for $14 and some change super early one morning (awful time for it to end). I paid within minutes. Never heard from the seller until I opened a dispute almost 30 days later, the only message they ever sent was through paypal saying "water pipe burst on crib set". :oh:

I had a seller go through the effort to view my Facebook profile using my name info after I'd paid... then he politely emailed me and refunded me, telling me he couldn't sell to me because he "disagreed with my religion." (which he discovered through my FB profile)

I didn't even respond, and I still don't get how that was even relevant to the eBay transaction, but I just took my money and ran. Nutcase. I was pretty offended though, I really wanted the item! lol sellers can come up with the darndest things.

I seem to recall a TPF thread where the seller said that roaches infested a leather keychain, and damaged it. TPFers encouraged the buyer to ask for photos of the damage, and the seller sent a photo or what looked like they strategically placed dirt particles on the keychain.

That was my favorite... I'll see if I can find the thread & will post the link. My seller excuses are just run-of-the mill, "item was lost, or damaged," with no details. Where's the fun in that?!

ETA: okay, I can't find the thread after running a search - and maybe it was mice and not roaches that "infested" the keychain? I'm not sure now... Maybe some of you remember?

..once after winning a bottle of "Gucci" aftershave (brand new sealed) for my husband, the seller contacted me saying that she couldn`t send it to me as she hadn`t realised that the bottle was half empty.How could she tell if it was brand new with wrap still on it......Mmmm, couldn`t be bothered to take it up with the seller, but what a waste of my time!!

I've heard (either from sellers I purchased others or as horror stories from friends):

-I had the item in my gym bag and was mugged; the thief made off with the item.

-I was moving out of my dorm and had the item sitting in the hallway; someone took it.

-My house/car was broken into.

-I spilled coffee/soda/ink/etc. on the item.

People really are something else sometimes...

LOL... forgot, my dog chewed it....:nuts:

I had a seller go through the effort to view my Facebook profile using my name info after I'd paid... then he politely emailed me and refunded me, telling me he couldn't sell to me because he "disagreed with my religion." (which he discovered through my FB profile)

I didn't even respond, and I still don't get how that was even relevant to the eBay transaction, but I just took my money and ran. Nutcase. I was pretty offended though, I really wanted the item! lol sellers can come up with the darndest things.

That is so ridiculous. And I mean, geez. If I wanted to make money, I'd sell to anyone of any religious belief! :lol:

Really though... What a loon tune. :wacko:

OH MY...That's extreme!! what the heck your religion have to do with it? that is wise of you not to respond, best to just move on.