Best day or time to start a listing?

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I'm going to list some items - but I was thinking that Fri. night probably isn't the best time to list.

Just wanted advice from other ebay veterans = is there a *best day* or time to list items?

Thanks for your advice! :flowers:

Most people start bidding when the auction almost ends, so you would like to decide when you want to end ur auction better than best time to list it. Know what I mean.
I think sunday night is the best time. So...if you want a 7day listing, sunday also the best day to list
Hth

As said above, the end time is most important, and I agree that Sunday night seems to be a time that auctions do well. I seem to do best ending on Sunday night BUT STARTING on Thursday evening and making it a 10 day auction as bidders have two full and whole weekends to let my items catch their eyes. It cost an extra 40 cents, but one of the most bangs for your fee bucks in my opinion. Sunday night does seem one of the best times to end an auction.

I also will usually try and have items end on Sunday evenings and have done very well with this method for several years now. My husband ends his items whenever (as he gives absolutely no thought to it, i.e. ending them at 2:00 in the morning or 2:00 on a Wednesday afternoon?!?) and I think he ends up not doing as well as he would if he tried to end them when the bigest ebay audience was available.

^^In regard to time - do you think there's a best time to appeal to east and west coast? i.e., do you list trying to attract both time zones, like if you're on the East coast ending a auction later (more like 11pm) so that West coast people can see it too.

Or is that not as important?

^^ I'm in Colorado and yes, I do try and be time sensitive to both coasts and try and end the listing so that both coasts can have a decent shot at it. Granted one coast will be a little earlier in the evening and the other a little later, but I do actually try an keep that in mind.

Sunday is a very busy time to end auctions. I do list a lot on that day, but Monday and Tuesday do well too. You also need to check if there are any special events that day. (Holidays, super bowl etc.)
It also depends on what you are selling. Moms tend to buy in the afternoon or morning, working people in the evenings weekends etc.
Best to play around a bit.
Good luck!

Also- people who use sniping software tend to "set it and forget it", so to speak...so end time is not altogether crucial for a lot of buyers. That being said, I also go for the 10-day listing with two weekends in there if it's a Fixed Price item, but 7 day for auction as people often don't want to have to wait an extra three days to get their final bids in.

What if I run a reg. auction (with a reserve since my item(s) is not inexpensive) with a BIN option? I'm leaning towards a 10 day now, you guys make it sound so much better.

(so that means you start your auction on a thurs. eve, right?)

Also- people who use sniping software tend to "set it and forget it", so to speak...so end time is not altogether crucial for a lot of buyers. That being said, I also go for the 10-day listing with two weekends in there if it's a Fixed Price item, but 7 day for auction as people often don't want to have to wait an extra three days to get their final bids in.

This works best for me, also. I agree that many bidders don't want to wait the extra three days in a regular auction format. For fixed price, those two weekends you have with a 10-day auction are well worth it. I also create my listings a day or two in advance with a certain start time so that when they are listed, they appear immediately.

May I suggest or remind sellers to stagger their auctions and not end them all at the exact same time. I am sometimes interested in a few similar items from the same seller and do not want to win all of them and it makes it difficult to snipe when you do not want multiples of the same thing. The snipe can not group to cancel the rest once you have won one if they all end at the same time. The one I use needs 5 minutes difference to do that.