Best Cities to live in the US-what would you recommend?

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
My boyfriend and I are seriously considering moving in the next year because of crime and lack of economic growth in our area. It would be a big move-we both have jobs, own a home, and have family here. We are currently trying to figure out some possibilities. Our interests/requirements are:
a large to mid sized city
culture/ good restaurants
decent weather (not somewhere extremely cold)
a reasonable crime rate
economic growth
Basically, somewhere that will give us a good quality of life. We dont plan on having children, so a family area and school arent important to us!

Denver. That place and the surrounding areas are so fabulous. I am dying to move to Colorado.

But then again, I have a job that I could easily get/do in Colorado.

I suggest settling in the greater Houston (The Woodlands or Sugar Land). I live outside of Houston and the crime here is very low, great food (GREAT food), very diverse, and afforable. Texas boasts a relatively lower standard of living compared to most states, and Houston is one of few cities that hasn't been hit too hard by the rise of forclosures.

Annapolis, Maryland.

Decent sized city, capitol of Maryland, in the DC/Balt Metro area, great job opportunities with the airport, lockheed martin and other BIG companies in the area. Great food, great bars, great scene. Fantastic historical district that is beautiful all year round!!

The only downfall is, is that Annapolis is somewhat expensive :sad:

Lived there for about 5 years ;)

Thanks for all of these ideas-some we have considered, some new ideas.
We both lived in Manhattan for a long time. I love it, but the real estate market kind of makes me stay away from moving back.

We live in the greater San Diego area and never plan to leave. It sounds like it has everything you're looking for:

a large to mid sized city, check: We live away from the city part (downtown because it's crowded and only certain parts are safe) but it's a quick drive to get down there.
culture/ good restaurants: culture well this is a little hard, but we have the races in the summer and there's lots of stuff going on in Gaslamp. Great restaurants all over!
decent weather (not somewhere extremely cold): ambient around 70C most days
a reasonable crime rate: crime is sadly everywhere but it's especially low in the north county region where we live (Del Mar/Solana Beach/Carmel Valley, etc)
economic growth: San Diego is dipping but there's still a boom here. Our homes haven't dropped too much along the coast. Not sure you're industry thought and how the job market is out here for you.
Basically, somewhere that will give us a good quality of life: I feel fortunate to live here. It's great qualities but is more low key than say LA/Orange County (although I'd happily live in Laguna or Dana Point)

I'm still in love with Manhattan even though I live in sunny Orange County now. I would recommend it to anyone who's ready for an adventure. There's just endless restaurants (fine dining to hole in the walls that are so yummy), nightlife, shopping... I never got tired of the city! But I also love San Diego.. I don't know too much about it because I'm just an occasional visitor but everytime I go there, I want to move there.