Best Cashmere

I just bought my first Brora cashmere cowl neck sweater in basic black (pre-owned) at a very good price. You can just FEEL the quality right away! Now I want more-lol! Not that I'm wishing the summer away but I cannot wait to wear this sweater-it will be in heavy rotation!! :smile:

I just bought my first Brora cashmere cowl neck sweater in basic black (pre-owned) at a very good price. You can just FEEL the quality right away! Now I want more-lol! Not that I'm wishing the summer away but I cannot wait to wear this sweater-it will be in heavy rotation!! :smile:

Nice! I just picked up 2 sweaters from their summer sale.

Does anybody have experience with Nordstrom's cashmere (house brand)?

This is a very interesting thread - I just bought my first cashmere sweater from Nordstrom but have yet to take the plunge and wear it. I think cashmere is so ubiquitous now (even warehouse stores like Costco - which has some great deals - are carrying cashmere products) that the supply must have to stretch out to meet the demand, resulting in lower quality. I think this is happening across a range of luxury goods as demand increases and awareness increases (internet, booming markets).

It reminds me a little of orchids - when I was a kid, orchids were really for serious gardeners and collectors, and they were very dear and hard to find and tend. Now that Trader Joe's carries orchids, I can get them easily but they are not very hardy (I'm not a great orchid nurturer either).

This is a very interesting thread - I just bought my first cashmere sweater from Nordstrom but have yet to take the plunge and wear it. I think cashmere is so ubiquitous now (even warehouse stores like Costco - which has some great deals - are carrying cashmere products) that the supply must have to stretch out to meet the demand, resulting in lower quality. I think this is happening across a range of luxury goods as demand increases and awareness increases (internet, booming markets).

It reminds me a little of orchids - when I was a kid, orchids were really for serious gardeners and collectors, and they were very dear and hard to find and tend. Now that Trader Joe's carries orchids, I can get them easily but they are not very hardy (I'm not a great orchid nurturer either).
I've never bought Nordstrom's house brand before, but a couple years ago I was looking for a nice quality cashmere & I was not impressed with theirs. I went on down to Saks & found their house brand, Black Label, was a very nice quality cashmere. It was on sale during the Christmas season, which made it much more affordable for me. I wear that sweater quite a bit, & I don't have the piling problems that I have had with cheaper cashmere.

If you're talking about Halogen (I think Nordstrom has multiple house brands) it's terrible. Very scratchy, not warm, and worst of all it loses its shape completely. Even though JCrew has a pilling problem it's much better and about the same price. Halogen cashmere is actually on my local consignment store's no-buy list.

If you're talking about Halogen (I think Nordstrom has multiple house brands) it's terrible. Very scratchy, not warm, and worst of all it loses its shape completely. Even though JCrew has a pilling problem it's much better and about the same price. Halogen cashmere is actually on my local consignment store's no-buy list.

I'll have to check the house brand name, but it's not Halogen - I didn't realize Halogen made cashmere, and I haven't yet tried it. I picked this other sweater up during the recent anniversary sale. The SA mentioned it is a different in-house line of clothing. I've never worn any cashmere sweaters, so I don't have a reference point, but I find this thread interesting to get people's tips on which brands have worked well for them.

The Philosophy brand at Nordstrom is a house brand and I would strongly recommend against it. I don't know about the Classiques Entier (sp?) house brand, but I would guess it would be a little bit more like the quality of Saks house brand. But probably not as good. My experience with Nordstrom house brands is about the same as other "affordable" cashmere like Macy's brands, Uniqlo, Old Navy, etc. I feel like I should make a list of quality in order of experience!

Lowest quality
Old Navy
Uniqlo
GAP
Philosophy
Halogen
Macy's Brands
Classiques Entier <-- Guessing this is where it goes
J Crew
Saks brands (maybe on par with J Crew)
Donna Karan
Micheal Kors (the highest end brand)
Highest quality

Completely agree about Michael Kors, the higher-end line...I have two cashmere cardigans and they are so thick, soft, and luxurious.

The Philosophy brand at Nordstrom is a house brand and I would strongly recommend against it. I don't know about the Classiques Entier (sp?) house brand, but I would guess it would be a little bit more like the quality of Saks house brand. But probably not as good. My experience with Nordstrom house brands is about the same as other "affordable" cashmere like Macy's brands, Uniqlo, Old Navy, etc. I feel like I should make a list of quality in order of experience!

Lowest quality
Old Navy
Uniqlo
GAP
Philosophy
Halogen
Macy's Brands
J Crew
Donna Karan
Highest quality

Lowest quality
Old Navy
Uniqlo
GAP
Philosophy
Halogen
Macy's Brands
J Crew
Donna Karan
Highest quality

Uniqlo isn't good? Some people seem to like their cashmere and rank it higher than J Crew. I know to stay away from J Crew but was gonna try uniqlo on sale just to see.