Best bum-/waist bag for city? And best for hiking? Plus POLL for fun! :)

Do you like/wear bum-/waist bags?

• I like them and wear them.

• I like them but I don't wear them.

• I wear them but I don't like them.

• I don't like them and I don't wear them.

• I don't have an opinion.

• They are absolutely terrible in any shape or form.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thenewestgirl

Dec 25, 2017
Hi!

I am trying to get used to the idea of rocking a waist-/bum bag, for the convenience of being completely hands free and without anything weighing my shoulders down.

I'd like to find some options for city wear, I am imagening something sleak that fits a larger phone, credit card and possibly a passport, for when I don't have any pockets to put these items in.

And I am also looking for something a bit larger to wear for longer walks, that fits all of the above mentioned items, plus maybe a waterbottle, etc.

Which bum-/waist bags are your favourites? Do you own one (or more?) yourself?

I have 2 bum bags. The one I use more is a Day Et Birger's Gweneth in black nylon. I use it for travel, shopping etc. It's very lightweight and durable, plus it doesn't cost much. I'm not ready to invest a large sum of money into a bag that gets little use.
1595790145329.png

My other bum bag is one from Retki, it has insulated 2 bottle holders and room for snacks and other small necessities. Mine is cherry red, I couldn't find a good picture online.

1595790478808.png
I use these like any other bags - when they are the best choice for the occasion. I have no plans to get a third one. (Although I have been having some feelings about Furla bum bags lately. :whut:)

I’ve always loved the bumbag, waistbag, fanny pack, whatever we’re calling them these days. I have 2...one from Valentino and one from LV. The Valentino fits just the basics while the LV fits everything you need plus more. I love how you can wear them multiple ways and they’re easy to travel with.

84A4FEC9-4715-4777-B6CF-DE6EB3CF4A25.jpeg

68158C49-41A2-488E-A74E-3CE8C3A3B1A4.jpeg

Reactions: dangerouscurves
This is mine. It just fits my galaxy note in a phone wallet, bulky car keys and lippy for errands in the city. I used to worry I wouldn't use it as a belt bag and was sold by the ability to convert into a bag on a chain for more formal settings. Turns out I have worn it as a belt bag frequently and as a shoulder bag only once.

20200727_122645.jpg

I have 2 bum bags. The one I use more is a Day Et Birger's Gweneth in black nylon. I use it for travel, shopping etc. It's very lightweight and durable, plus it doesn't cost much. I'm not ready to invest a large sum of money into a bag that gets little use.
View attachment 4800621

My other bum bag is one from Retki, it has insulated 2 bottle holders and room for snacks and other small necessities. Mine is cherry red, I couldn't find a good picture online.

View attachment 4800633
I use these like any other bags - when they are the best choice for the occasion. I have no plans to get a third one. (Although I have been having some feelings about Furla bum bags lately. :whut:)

I really like both of these, the latter would be really practical for hikes! And I love the look of the Day one, I was considering one from Day myself actually. I never saw this more plain version in store (which would be my preference) but I tried on one with a stiched pattern to see if I liked the shape, but I found it to look a bit off on myself, at least worn around the waist, which would be how I'd probably wear it the most, for practicality reasons. I found that I wanted a more square shaped version, so I ordered this one from Lululemon as I could not find what I was looking for in store, and I wanted a less expensive option to try out the idea. Hopefully the strap is adjustable enough (I'd like it tight at the waist instead of down at my hip).

If I like it I may explore the idea of buying something more structured and much smaller (with room for only the phone, a card and a key) to wear with every day clothes (even with skirts). Maybe even something designer... :rolleyes: But for my first belt bag that I plan on taking for longer walks first and foremost it might be good to have both the carefree aspect of a cheaper bag and also the extra space that this lulu-bag provides, just in case. It's delivered on friday, and I am SUPER EXITED. I really hope I'll like it! :biggrin:

Screenshot_20200825-022627__01.jpg

For my second bum bag I am currently dreaming about a Fendi, Dior or so.... But I am not sure I'm ready to pay that kind of money for one, at least not yet before knowing I'd use the style (I'm trying hard to not convince myself I absolutely need the Fendi one asap...) :biggrin: I'll need to check out Furla's bum bags, I'd love to see some more reasonably priced, still nice looking options. Furla is a brand that I have never owned anything from and always forget about, so thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazona
I’ve always loved the bumbag, waistbag, fanny pack, whatever we’re calling them these days. I have 2...one from Valentino and one from LV. The Valentino fits just the basics while the LV fits everything you need plus more. I love how you can wear them multiple ways and they’re easy to travel with.

View attachment 4800785

View attachment 4800786

Such cool bags! I totally understand your love for them, even before they were in fashion I always wished that they would come back just because they may just be the most practical, and comfortable style of bag out there!

I really like your LV one with the personalization, that one would be really fun both for travel and with casual clothing! I'll need to check it out! :tup:

Last edited:
This is mine. It just fits my galaxy note in a phone wallet, bulky car keys and lippy for errands in the city. I used to worry I wouldn't use it as a belt bag and was sold by the ability to convert into a bag on a chain for more formal settings. Turns out I have worn it as a belt bag frequently and as a shoulder bag only once.

View attachment 4800958

This seems to be the perfect size for city wear, and I love the square shape and the thin waist strap! May I bother you with asking how small the waist measurement can get? I have found that a lot of bags are ment to be worn at the hip rather than at the waist, so they are a bit limited in how small you can make them, and they rarely provide you with these measurments at online stores. :annoyed:

It's size wise quite close to what I'd want for myself, as I want my next, "dressier" option to be as small and sleek as possible while still being roomy enough to fit my phone. Does Miu Miu make plain versions as well? I need to check the brand out! Just as Furla, as I mentioned in a reply above, Miu Miu is a brand that is typically not on my radar, but this one was really cute.

I am happy to hear you find it useful as a belt bag, and I am sure you'll be happy about the versitality of the shoulder strap option in case the bum bag trend fades out and eventually becomes "not as socially acceptable" once again. :giggle:

Last edited:
Hi!

I am trying to get used to the idea of rocking a waist-/bum bag, for the convenience of being completely hands free and without anything weighing my shoulders down.

I'd like to find some options for city wear, I am imagening something sleak that fits a larger phone, credit card and possibly a passport, for when I don't have any pockets to put these items in.

And I am also looking for something a bit larger to wear for longer walks, that fits all of the above mentioned items, plus maybe a waterbottle, etc.

Which bum-/waist bags are your favourites? Do you own one (or more?) yourself?
If you want all these in a bum bag, I suggest you look at Balenciaga bum bag. I have a couple of bum bags but my fave is my pink Valentino Garavani bum bag. I use this bag when I go to festivals, raves, clubs or just sight-seeing.

F0E09F44-AA47-4BD6-B39C-18F1670C8577.jpeg

5E596D42-8422-40CC-8BF7-7F5077B3FCFC.jpeg

Such cool bags! I totally understand your love for them, even before they were in fashion I always wished that they would come back just because they may just be the most practical, and comfortable style of bag out there!

I really like your LV one with the personalization, that one would be really fun both for travel and with casual clothing! I'll need to check it out! :tup:

You and me both! Personalizing the LV one was fun...going through all of the cool stickers...good luck on your search for the perfect bumbag.

Reactions: Thenewestgirl
I have 3 from Gucci:

Love this one as it fits tons. Usually bring it at the Amusement park, etc
1598953060360.png

This one I wear as a crossbody. I find it too big as a waist bag

1598953104372.png

This one I used as a waist pack and it only fits the essentials: cardholder, compact wallet, keyholder, med pills but my phone doesn't fit. It is from the kids' line

1598953123686.png