Best bag for city living?

Tashi Delek

Nov 16, 2010
I need a suggestion for a bag that's good for city living! It needs to be:

• Relatively weather-proof (since I walk a lot)
  • Can handle some wear and tear (it'll be jostled around in crowds/the subway)
  • Not an easy target for theft! (no open compartments, must have zipper, etc)
  • Can be worn on the shoulder (either is a shoulder bag or has detachable strap)
What I usually like in bags: buttery/chewy leather and slouchy fit! Thanks in advance :biggrin:

If you are looking for something inexpensive, have you thought about any of the faux leather bags from Mellie Bianco of Buddha Bags? They are light weight (good for walking around the city) and can be tossed anywhere without any problems.

As DoreenJoy said, the Ferragamo sofia is a great choice. I LOVE that bag. So elegant and pulled together. Plus it has my favorite combo: satchel + shoulder strap.

A cheaper alternative might be Michael Kors. I breezed through a MK boutique yesterday and saw this:

http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...at8501&index=70&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat3003

and this:
http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...at8501&index=15&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat3003

They both had very nice leather and zip at the top AND they have a nice strap drop so that it fits over a bulky winter coat. I especially liked the second one with the hanging MK charm. It just seemed so chic and relaxed.

If durability is a prime concern, an additional alternative might be something in the LV damier line. Of course, it isn't smooshy leather, but neither hail, nor sleet nor snow will make you worry for a second about your bag.

There are so many bags out there, I'm sure you'll have fun finding the one that's just right for you. Enjoy the process of searching.:biggrin:

If you are worried about the weather, I would invest in a non-leather bag so you don't have to worry about damage. Deux Lux makes really striking and slouchy bags that are excellent quality for the price.

My favorite city bag at the moment is the Mulberry Elgin in Chocolate and Oak Darwin leather. It's as tough as nails and can handle everything my slushy dirty city commute can handle and fits a ton besides. Although it doesn't have a zipper closure, it closes with adjustable straps that would make dipping into the bag extremely hard (not to mention the shape, which means the thief would have to be up to their elbows in your bag before finding your wallet).

No longer sold in stores, but you can find them on Ebay still in great shape, as the bag only gets better with age.

Mulberry Elgin

Attachments

• Mulberry_Elgin.jpg
    Mulberry_Elgin.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 851