Best and worst Balenciaga leather years?

Hi everyone!

Does anyone own 2016/2017 bags and how is the leather quality? Thanks.

I feel your question is very subjective and it varies based on who is answering.

True oldies lovers (including me) - Nothing beats the old Chevre from 2001 to 2007. Next best are those from 2008 to 2011. Exactly which year is the best, it's still indivisual experience & preference. From 2012, the Agneau Leather seems treated differently, glossier, wear & tear are much easily shown. Though i have bags from 2012 till 2017, mostly are Papier (calf leather), Hamilton (which is Chevre) or design which were only produced from 2012. Bought not because of the leather, but for the design.

Then again, there are people who like the glossier Agneau leather from 2012 too. Im very sure you will not get a definite answer, because i don't too. That was why i will usually BUY to find out :lol:.

Antigone: Do a search for Summerfriend's black Bal which I think is from 2016? It looked gorgeous to me. I honestly don't think that the newer City:s I've seen in stores are extremely shiny. Another advantage is the double inner open pocket on newer models. I really miss a pocket like that on my black 2011!

What I'd worry about is the quality of the newer bags. Somebody recently posted a pic of what happened to her new City (?) after dropping it just once to the ground... not exactly hard-wearing by the look of the damage. I hope she was able to have it fixed.

Antigone: Do a search for Summerfriend's black Bal which I think is from 2016? It looked gorgeous to me. I honestly don't think that the newer City:s I've seen in stores are extremely shiny. Another advantage is the double inner open pocket on newer models. I really miss a pocket like that on my black 2011!

What I'd worry about is the quality of the newer bags. Somebody recently posted a pic of what happened to her new City (?) after dropping it just once to the ground... not exactly hard-wearing by the look of the damage. I hope she was able to have it fixed.

Found Summerfriend's black Bal -- you're right, gorgeous! :heart:

Hope this Velo isn't so sensitive, as I plan to use it as a workhorse.

oh, man. all these pics are making me drool. waiting ever so patiently for my 2005 Z tag black city just purchased from another tpfer. :heart: when i saw the bag in her ebay listing, i knew it was the one i've been searching for. :flowers:

but as for the others i've loved before: 07 ocean gsh PT and 03 pewter lilac first were my faves. if the ocean was a city, i probably would have kept her, but the PT shape never worked for me. my 08 gsh amethyst city had thick leather but wasn't as soft as my ocean, and i had an 08 amethyst day with RH that was thin and dreadful. also liked the leather on my 08 pale magenta work with RH. it was a little shiny but had medium thickness and a little veiny, which i don't mind.

oh, man. all these pics are making me drool. waiting ever so patiently for my 2005 Z tag black city just purchased from another tpfer. :heart: when i saw the bag in her ebay listing, i knew it was the one i've been searching for. :flowers:

but as for the others i've loved before: 07 ocean gsh PT and 03 pewter lilac first were my faves. if the ocean was a city, i probably would have kept her, but the PT shape never worked for me. my 08 gsh amethyst city had thick leather but wasn't as soft as my ocean, and i had an 08 amethyst day with RH that was thin and dreadful. also liked the leather on my 08 pale magenta work with RH. it was a little shiny but had medium thickness and a little veiny, which i don't mind.
I'm an oldies fan, pretty much all of my Bals are pre 2008. Love me that chevre...:heart:

Save the drooling for the arriving "Z" tag which you got !!! You won't be disappointed im sure :graucho::graucho::graucho:

Nothing beats the good old Chevre ! :tup:

Reactions: Iamminda
Based on Bbags I've had/have:
2003-2005 --- thick & buttery chevre
2006-2007 --- thinner chevre leather, but supple; introduction of veininess, some 07s have a particularly glazed look
2008 --- switch to agneau leather, also thinner; wide range of textures, some Bal experimenting perhaps -- from very thin/soft leather like 08 Electric Blue to harder/drier leather like on some 08 Anthra.

Personal fav is 2005. :heart:

I love the leather of 2011 although I used to have a Chevre from 2005 I think and it was like butter soft. Then I have bags from 2012 but I guess I like them more because of their color not the leather. My newer ones from 2016 to today are glossier and i cannot say I prefer this leather. Especially the tassels are dry and I don't like them that much but I ordered most of them and kept them because of their beautiful color. Some of them become softer with time and use but they are not my favorites from the beginning.

balenciaga_giant_city_1522378037_02fcb50c.jpg balenciaga_giant_city_1522378037_02fcb50c.jpg I'm a Bal noob hoping to buy a City - what do you think of this leather of the Giant City? Do you think it looks beaten up or faded? or great?? Seller says she thinks she bought it in 2012. ATTACH=full]4302282[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• bal city.jpg
    bal city.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 270
View attachment 4302283 View attachment 4302283 I'm a Bal noob hoping to buy a City - what do you think of this leather of the Giant City? Do you think it looks beaten up or faded? or great?? Seller says she thinks she bought it in 2012. ATTACH=full]4302282[/ATTACH]
Have you had the bag authenticated? Always my suggestion if you're new to the brand. That way we could possibly confirm the season/year of the bag. There's lots of info in various threads regarding people's fave years for Bal leather. I'm a fan of 05, 07 and 2010 in particular. 2012 was the year Bal started using a coating on the leather and I've had 2012 bags where it was very evident that the leather had been coated, it felt quite plasticky for lack of a better word. Perhaps others could chime in on that, I don't know if it depended on colour or if it was right across the board. I also don't know if that coated feeling wore off, I sold both of the 2012 bags I had. I've heard good reports re: 2015 leather as well.