Best 40+ SPF???

jc2239

O.G.
Nov 28, 2005
i never realized that my moisturizers or foundations with SPF 15 weren't providing my with adequate sun protecton :beach:, but now that i know i'm on the hunt for a sunblock that's at least SPF 40

the problem is my skin tends to be both oily and extremely dry, and i'm afraid a lot of sunblocks will either cause me to break out horribly or completely dry out my skin.....

here are the ones i'm considering (read up on them on MUA but still not sure which would be best)....please let me know if you have any experience with them, or if you have any others that you use on a daily basis and love

P173670_hero.jpg

Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ $37

P173669_hero.jpg

Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ $33

P145600_hero.jpg

L'Occitane Immortelle Very Precious Fluid SPF 40 $54

_5290780.jpg

Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen SPF 40 $38

_5162069.jpg

Dior Diorsnow Pure UV Base SPF 50 $46

i've used the dior before, and it sort of both dried me out and broke me out, but i believe that this is a newer formulation so maybe it's different :yes:

also, do i need a separate SPF for my eye area and my lips, or am i good with whichever of the above that i choose? :wtf:

Unless you will receive a psychological benefit from doing so, you don't need to spend so much money.

As long as the active ingredient is there, any oil-free formulas available in the drugstore will do the job.

I would just smell stuff, and get the cheapest one that does not smell like fruit or a dessert product. Unless you like the ones that smell like fruit and dessert products, which apparently lots of people do, I have had to spend a lot more time smelling stuff in recent years...

I use the Shisedo in the picture. It is the only one I have found that does not irritate my skin and also if you wear foundation it goes on smoothly.
And yes, I know that was a grammatically incorrect run on sentence.

I use the Shisedo in the picture. It is the only one I have found that does not irritate my skin and also if you wear foundation it goes on smoothly.
And yes, I know that was a grammatically incorrect run on sentence.

shimmapuff i'm just worried that the cheaper ones might break me out? and i HATE fruity smelly things on my face :yucky:

and irishgal do you use the cream or the lotion? is it drying? i'd be applying it over moisturizer, but i can't deal with sticky in the summer :Push:

thanks for your replies!

I use Neutrogena Age Shield 45 and have never had a problem with breakouts. It also doesn't smell like anything. When I go to France in May I'm going to stock up on Anthelios 60; apparently the active ingredient is more effective than anything available OTC in the U.S. You can buy it from a dermatologist here, but it's $60/tube, compared to about 9-10 euros at a pharmacie in France.

The cream, I love it. My skin is super sensitive, and everything else makes it turn red with irritation. Have them give you a sample before you buy it so you can give it a try!

shimmapuff i'm just worried that the cheaper ones might break me out?

If you have ever used, or ever use in the future, a product that makes you break out, note the ingredients, and if possible, either with the help of your dermatologist or by studying product labels, comparing and eliminating, note the ingredient that makes you break out, and always check for it before buying anything you are going to put on your skin.

The thing that can make you break out is an ingredient that you are allergic to, regardless of how much the product that contains it costs!

Although it might appear that I am allergic to high prices, prices can't really make us break out :P

If you have ever used, or ever use in the future, a product that makes you break out, note the ingredients, and if possible, either with the help of your dermatologist or by studying product labels, comparing and eliminating, note the ingredient that makes you break out, and always check for it before buying anything you are going to put on your skin.

that's a great idea! :yes: some (actually many) products give me hives after a few hours which is VERY unpleasant and so it'd be great if i knew what to avoid you'd think i woulda thought of that by now :P

I use Neutrogena Age Shield 45 and have never had a problem with breakouts. It also doesn't smell like anything. When I go to France in May I'm going to stock up on Anthelios 60; apparently the active ingredient is more effective than anything available OTC in the U.S. You can buy it from a dermatologist here, but it's $60/tube, compared to about 9-10 euros at a pharmacie in France.

i found what you're talking about on ebay but not a huge fan of ebay....wonder if it's okay :confused1:

i use the one you posted a picture of--the Shiseido SPF 55 Cream!

i luv it!

it doesn't streak, spreads smoothly, and at the end of a sunny hot day my skin is great! it's also awesome as a primer before makeup ^_^

I highly recommend DiorSnow Pure UV Ultra-Whitening Spot Corrector SPF 50, it whitens your skin, acts as a concealer AND has humongous SPF, as well as PA+++, which is for a slightly different kind of UV Ray I think (different frequency?). I think my skin type is very similar to yours, and this thing doesn't make my skin break out at all. I use it everyday. :smile:

P141957_hero.jpg

I use Clarins UV Plus and I love it. I used to hate wearing sunscreen on my face because I could always feel a film or have a greasy feeling on my skin. The Clarins texture is really light and is very spreadable, it feels like a milky lotion/makeup primer. It's not greasy either and does not cause any break out.