Besace or a city? Opinions please!

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
Hey all,

I've been looking for a GGH bag for a bit and I thought a Bal brown bag might be a good direction to go in (though I'm still looking for galet/tempete or black cherry :graucho: ). I found a city bag in 2007 truffle as well as a Besace in 2007 mogano (mahogano). I did a search on the Besace and found a few photos but not very much information. As far as I can see, it's a traditional hobo bag without a top closure but does feature a crossbody strap, which is very appealing to me because I like crossbody bags. However it's hard to go wrong with a city! What do you all think?

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 330
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 332
The besace is rarer but the city is more versatile in my opinion.

I have one besace in a charcoal color and I rarely use it because of the open top. I prefer the other balenciaga crossbody and messenger styles and never really find a use for my besace. Also the besace looks lumpy when stuffed too full and because it is very narrow, it is easy to stuff it too full. My goal is to give my Besace away to a friend (if I can find it in my closet lol :biggrin:)

Just my thoughts. :smile::cool:

They are very different bags. I have never owned a besace but have admired it from afar. :smile:. From what I recall the open top is not huge concern because it sits closed when worn cross body. Like other bags of this style, it would not look good stuffed so might not hold as much as a city. I have owned two cities and sold both of them. I do not like arm/hand carried bags and, as much as I love the look of the city, I do not love it as a shoulder bag. If I had a chance to get a besace I'd probably give that a try. Have fun deciding.

And mogano with GGH is a fab colour.

Wow, what a hard decision!

It probably depends on how you would use the messenger bag...like Itbag said...it gets bumpy if too full. Do you plan to carry very little in the messenger bag or do you like the never-ending bottom when going with a crossbody?

Do you need either bag to be more secure depending on its use? The hobo sounds like it is easy to access, but that might not be an issue depending on how you carry it.

Do you have a lot of City bags already sitting in you closet and the Besace would add versatility to your wardrobe?

The colors are just beautiful on both bags so that is no help ruling one out!

It's always nice having a "small" bag to grab from your closet on days you are going to the movies, or a county fair, or shopping in the city....days you just don't want to bother with a handbag; even though these days are very rare indeed! :winkiss:

It doesn't look like you will go wrong with either bag...they are both gorgeous!

Wow, what a hard decision!

It probably depends on how you would use the messenger bag...like Itbag said...it gets bumpy if too full. Do you plan to carry very little in the messenger bag or do you like the never-ending bottom when going with a crossbody?

Do you need either bag to be more secure depending on its use? The hobo sounds like it is easy to access, but that might not be an issue depending on how you carry it.

Do you have a lot of City bags already sitting in you closet and the Besace would add versatility to your wardrobe?

The colors are just beautiful on both bags so that is no help ruling one out!

It's always nice having a "small" bag to grab from your closet on days you are going to the movies, or a county fair, or shopping in the city....days you just don't want to bother with a handbag; even though these days are very rare indeed! :winkiss:

It doesn't look like you will go wrong with either bag...they are both gorgeous!

I have two city bags already on the way but they are rh. I do like having easy going out bags but i have my ps1 pouch and ysl chain bag for that. The difference in price is about $200 between these two bags as well, the city being the more expensive. Also saira confirmed they're both 2007 mogano. :smile:

I have two city bags already on the way but they are rh. I do like having easy going out bags but i have my ps1 pouch and ysl chain bag for that. The difference in price is about $200 between these two bags as well, the city being the more expensive. Also saira confirmed they're both 2007 mogano. :smile:
Eek....nothing to rule out!

Then, being partial to the City (and because the photo of the one you have up is beautiful), I say go for her....the color combo on that bag is to die for!! She looks so classy and elegant! :greengrin:

Oooooh - tough one.

Mogano (Mahogany) is a prized color and had FABULOUS, literally some of the best leather ever (it was 2007 after all).

I had the Maxi Besace, and even that size wasn't big enough for me at the time (I've seen been able to pare down what I carry). I agree with others in that the open top isn't that much of a big deal, especially if you wear it across body. However, I always felt like I was digging to the other side of the earth when trying to find anything in that bag.

I agree that the City is more useful, and Truffle is a nice dark Brown (and IMO .. looks so much better with the Gold HW).

Good luck!

I have one besace in a charcoal color and I rarely use it because of the open top. I prefer the other balenciaga crossbody and messenger styles and never really find a use for my besace. Also the besace looks lumpy when stuffed too full and because it is very narrow, it is easy to stuff it too full.
You are so lucky I searched forever when they reissued the besace to find that charcoal one. Sooooooo many phone calls, alas never could find one. :crybaby::crybaby:

I had the Maxi Besace, and even that size wasn't big enough for me at the time (I've seen been able to pare down what I carry). I agree with others in that the open top isn't that much of a big deal, especially if you wear it across body. However, I always felt like I was digging to the other side of the earth when trying to find anything in that bag.
:roflmfao::roflmfao: You're right about that one. I'm always "digging" in my hobo to find anything. :roflmfao: