Berlin in October/November - weather and trip duration help

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I will be in Berlin for a weekend seminar on the last week of October (Friday noon - Sunday afternoon). I had planned to arrive on Thursday and leave on Tuesday, giving me two full days-Thursday and Monday-of sightseeing/going around. Will that be enough or will I be missing out?

Also, I will be bringing a heavy cotton trench coat, and do some layering with sweaters and cardigans. How is the weather there during this time? Will I need something warmer, like a wool coat?

Thanks everyone! :smile:

2. Berlin in October has 6-13 degrees Celsius average, and in November 2-7. It is not very sunny and usually it is pretty wet. Pack something that is water resistant, a good thick scarf and gloves. I highly recommend flat boots to walk around.

3. Thanks for the tip, lily! Ah, good, I have flat boots. I'll probably put those gel inserts to make them more comfortable. Will I need an umbrella?

4. #4 Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Really depends, will you be walking around the streets all day? I never needed an umbrella, because Berlin is a city that is built to protect ppl from bad weather, but I usually visit in the winter where it is snowy and dry. If it will make you feel better carry a small one that can fit in your bag to avoid any soaking accident.

Layering is your best bet in Berlin as the inside of the buildings/stores/cafes is freaking hot.

2 days is definitely not enough for me, I'm visiting the last 10 years 2-3 times a year and I always visit for at least 2 weeks. I haven't seen everything yet, I haven't even been to Potsdam and Sansouci that are super touristy ha ha! It is a huuuuge city so if you can add a few more days, food, transportation and hotels are very cheap it will not break your bank, and it is a very fun and interesting city. You need at least 1 day for Museumsinsel and checkpoint charly only. I'm very envious I wish I could be there. I highly recommend Monsieur Vuong http://www.monsieurvuong.de/ if you are in Mitte for Vietnamese Pho (a delicious soup with noodles). Makoto across the street for Japanese Ramen (and really amazing gyoza equally good with gyoza I had in Japan), they make their own noodles.

5. Lol!! I'd have thought since you go twice a year for over a decade you'd have seen it all :P I'll probably add a couple of days so I won't be rushing around. I'll definitely be back next year so I don't mind if I can't see everything, more reason to go back there too! And oooh, thank you for the recommendations! I'll definitely check out the restaurants you mentioned. It would be great to eat Pho when my Southern California self will be freezing :smile:

6. It'll be cold and wet, so just be prepared for that.

I've been to Berlin off and on for years and I love the city!

Some of my (and DH's) highlights of Berlin:
    1. Checkpoint Charley
    2. KaDeWe (ENORMOUS department store; def. get the escargot soup!)
    3. KuDamm (shopping street)
    4. eating on the TV tower: Alexander Platz, but make reservations
    5. Olympic Stadium
    6. Reichstag/Brandenburg Gate
    7. Berlin Wall

I don't know if it can be done in that short of time, honestly. I could spend a month in Berlin and still not have seen everything.

Have a great time!!!

7. If you're only in Berlin a few days, I'd focus more on the East, i.e. Checkpoint Charlie, Museumsinsel, parts of the Berlin Wall, Reichstag, Holocaust Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, Siegessäule etc. All of these are within walking distance - or at least I tend to walk it. I find the Western part around Ku'damm to be rather boring, mainly because it's not that different from other European cities and the shops are chain stores or the usual fare of luxury designers. The East has more interesting shops IMO, especially if you check out the independent boutiques north of the Hackesche Hoefe. Hackesche Hoefe itself is interesting enough, though the restaurants and boutiques there have gotten incredibly touristy. There's also some interesting Russian architecture in that area (heading towards Oranienburger Strasse), as well as a synagogue that's heavily guarded. For luxury shopping I'd recommend Quartier 206 or The Corner.

I'd walk around the city first to get a feel for it, and then if you have time you can go into museums etc. And yes, it will be chilly and probably wet, so layer up and bring appropriate rain gear just in case!