Benefit to buying new in boutique vs 2nd hand?

spykitty

O.G.
Sep 1, 2008
What is the benefit to buying new vs pre owned? If I buy a pre owned bag and need a repair will the boutique still send it out for me (regardless if they cover the cost or I do)

I am eyeing a Palermo PM and it would be nice to save $300+

Thanks!

MMM....honestly, the experience at the boutique is something special :smile:

Other thn that, I'm pretty LV repairs every one of it's bags, you might have to pay though....

Sometimes before they will do a repair they will make sure that YOUR purchase is in the computer. For me a bag has to be minimum 25% lower then retail for it to make me even consider buying it preloved. Otherwise I rather buy it in the boutique.

That's great advice- set a benchmark for which it is "worth it" to buy preloved. Especially when you add in shipping it only end up being maybe 12% off.

Better to have piece of mind. Thanks!

Since I'm international, it's really only worth it if it's something that's been discontinued or if it's 45% or more off.

BUT I also don't think the "boutique experience" is worth it if you can save a significant amount or if secondhand brings something into your price range. I'd rather pocket the savings and do something else fun (or buy an SLG with it, to get the boutique experience anyway).

I also set a benchmark for myself, but I factor tax into that equation. In Chicago, it's higher than 10% sales tax. So a 15% discount plus sales tax makes it worth it sometimes.

Not that I've ever found anything... but that's my rule. :graucho:

Sometimes before they will do a repair they will make sure that YOUR purchase is in the computer. For me a bag has to be minimum 25% lower then retail for it to make me even consider buying it preloved. Otherwise I rather buy it in the boutique.

Exactly! This is especially true for small SLG's... Preowned Cles's go for about $130... when being priced at $165 new, the $35 difference isn't worth buying something with chipped hardware and a dirty interior.

But I plan to buy my Sac Plat preowned. New they cost about $1k, I can get a nice on for $500 on eBay or Bonanzle!

Just keep these things in mind. If you can find a new Palermo for $300 off, I say go for it. Otherwise, have an experience at the boutique! :biggrin:

I also set a benchmark for myself, but I factor tax into that equation. In Chicago, it's higher than 10% sales tax. So a 15% discount plus sales tax makes it worth it sometimes.

Not that I've ever found anything... but that's my rule. :graucho:

That's the one and only bonus of living in the middle of nowhere! Sales tax here in Indiana is only 7%

Does everyone buy all their bags new or do you buy any from Ebay? I have 2 bags - speedy and galliera that I have bought new and was thinking about Ebay but worry that they are authentic. Just wondering what all of you have experienced. Thanks - new to the forum and its a wealth of great information.

NEW NEW NEW! Nothing like the store experience! From the selection part to the box to the "this is my new LV and I'm gonna organize my goodies inside" :yahoo:feeling!!! Not that you can't get that from used. I've had both and prefer new any day! Usually if I save a few more dollars I can go for new based on prices of used. All depends....

I've done both.

Definitely have it authenticated here first and research your seller as much as you can (like Toolhaus, etc.....there's also a thread here with some reputable second hand sellers, if you do a search you will find it....) Some bags are worth buying second hand as the savings can be significant. But some bags, like the Neverfull for example, aren't that much cheaper used....you'd be better off going to the boutique and buying new.