Bend at corner flap of togo birkin

Candicetran

Jan 3, 2015
IMG_4911.jpg Hi,

I just got my 30 pre own togo birkin from a reputable source. It's a 2012 special order. I just noticed the corner of the flap is bend due to when u leave the flap inside while using the bag, the left side more. I was wondering if anyone experienced that? And what can be done to minimize this? I have a clemence 2002 35 and it doesnt have this problem! Seems like togo leather is softer than the clemence, which ai always thought vice versa.

i tried to bend it back a bit but it doesn't go back to shape. It just at the tip of the corner. So unless i always leave the bag wide open, the right side will get bend a bit when the bag is not open that big.

It's the same bag just different lighting :smile: The color is Tosca.

Thank you so much in advance for letting me share. IMG_4911.jpg IMG_4909.jpg IMG_4903.JPG IMG_4910.jpg IMG_4902.JPG

Reactions: prepster and hopiko
If you're feeling brave you could cover the flap with a cloth and iron it. Hermes iron the retourne bags once they have been turned, so it's not as bizarre as it sounds and it would resolve this issue.

Reactions: footlocker
If you're feeling brave you could cover the flap with a cloth and iron it. Hermes iron the retourne bags once they have been turned, so it's not as bizarre as it sounds and it would resolve this issue.

I am curious to know, do you recommend low heat and apply pressure or high heat with little pressure. Also, would cotton be the fabric of choice?

Last edited:
From your third photograph it looks as if it is the front facing corner of the leather that has got bent forward not the underside or back of the flap as well.
Are you able to take it in to Hermes and ask for an artisan to give an opinion?

I am curious to know, do you recommend low heat and apply pressure or high heat with little pressure. Also, would cotton be the fabric of choice?
All the recommendations I can find recommend a low heat setting, using either a cloth or thick brown paper to prevent burning and keeping the iron moving. There is also a thread in the Chanel forum where members have successfully used ironing leather to remove creases: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/i-reversed-the-sagging-of-my-gst.916732/
Because of the position of this crease you would need to be very careful not to melt the inking (sealant on the edge of the flap).

:smile:

Reactions: Candicetran
Personally, I would enjoy the bag consider it character and never attempt to wipe out that character with an iron.
Lovely bag❤

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent it to get worst :smile:, I'm just a bit surprised that I didn't find any thread or anything on the web about this , so seems like it doesn't happen normally but this is just a case of maybe not closing the bag properly accidently by the previous owner :smile:.

From your third photograph it looks as if it is the front facing corner of the leather that has got bent forward not the underside or back of the flap as well.
Are you able to take it in to Hermes and ask for an artisan to give an opinion?
Hi! Yes you are right. That's a good idea, I will try soon.

View attachment 3642991 Hi,

I just got my 30 pre own togo birkin from a reputable source. It's a 2012 special order. I just noticed the corner of the flap is bend due to when u leave the flap inside while using the bag, the left side more. I was wondering if anyone experienced that? And what can be done to minimize this? I have a clemence 2002 35 and it doesnt have this problem! Seems like togo leather is softer than the clemence, which ai always thought vice versa.

i tried to bend it back a bit but it doesn't go back to shape. It just at the tip of the corner. So unless i always leave the bag wide open, the right side will get bend a bit when the bag is not open that big.

Thank you so much in advance for letting me share. View attachment 3642991 View attachment 3642992 View attachment 3642994 View attachment 3642997 View attachment 3642999

Thanks you everyone for your reply, I'm enjoying the bag very much, I'm ok if the bend doesnt get worst. It just seems like the corner flap of the togo is def not as stiff as my clemence, so I can see this could get worst over time so I'm just a bit worry hehe :smile:

Putting an iron to it may cause you more harm than good as in melting the resin along the edge. If it bothers you as it seems to, I would take it to Hermes and have them see what an be done to straighten it out.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent it to get worst :smile:, I'm just a bit surprised that I didn't find any thread or anything on the web about this , so seems like it doesn't happen normally but this is just a case of maybe not closing the bag properly accidently by the previous owner :smile:.

Reactions: prepster
View attachment 3642991 Hi,

Thank you so much in advance for letting me share. View attachment 3642991 View attachment 3642992 View attachment 3642994 View attachment 3642997 View attachment 3642999

First, congrats on such a gorgeous, SPECIAL B! Toscanini is a lovely color.

I have a Togo b30 with me right now, flap tucked in and there is no bend. Because these bags are hand made, they are going to vary. I can see why it would bother you, but it is probably not noticeable to anyone else. Like you, I usually carry the bag with the flap in but always store it with the flap out. I think that a consult with an artisan is probably the right path...they will know the best way to handle this.

Good luck, enjoy the bag, and let us know what happens!