Bellechasse as diaper bag

joannedlred

Oct 13, 2020
Do you think the Bellechasse can work as a diaper bag? Or is the style more like a work bag? Can it be easily worn with a coat on? Lastly, can you recommend other G bags that are perfect as a diaper bag? Thanks

Do you think the Bellechasse can work as a diaper bag? Or is the style more like a work bag? Can it be easily worn with a coat on? Lastly, can you recommend other G bags that are perfect as a diaper bag? Thanks
I think the Artois MM could be a good diaper bag. The handle drop is sufficient for a coat, the shape is sturdy and it has a zipper. I have one that I use as a travel bag and I love it. I can’t comment on the Bellechase; I’ve never seen one IRL.

Reactions: joannedlred
I think the Artois MM could be a good diaper bag. The handle drop is sufficient for a coat, the shape is sturdy and it has a zipper. I have one that I use as a travel bag and I love it. I can’t comment on the Bellechase; I’ve never seen one IRL.
I’m considering the Artois MM as well but I’m only 5’1 and I’m wondering if it would be too big on me

I’m considering the Artois MM as well but I’m only 5’1 and I’m wondering if it would be too big on me
I think you need to really think about what use you really want for the bag. The Bellechase is 13” wide. I have a Rouette which is 12” wide and I can’t imagine it would work for a diaper bag. If you truly want a useable diaper bag, it WILL be large for your frame, but it’ll work as a diaper bag. You can always repurpose it as a travel bag afterwards. If you actually want a purse where you can throw in a diaper but not much else, the Rouette, Bellechase, Artois PM, etc would work. Just my opinion - it’s been a long time since I carried a diaper bag. But I’d still go with the Artois MM.

Reactions: am1ly
In my opinion I don't think it would make a good diaper bag... the inside lining is like a cream woven cloth, which makes it easy to stain and difficult to wipe away stains. The top is also wide open unless you snap the closures which imo is a bit fiddly and still allows stuff to fall out if you are taking it in/out the stroller basket. For a diaper bag I'd go for something lightweight and waterproof like the St Louis (but still may easily fall out) or with a zip top like the Artois. Try the PM Artois... at 5'1 it might be a good size for you!

My diaper bag was anjou GM but i have short figure (157cm) and when my babies have become toddler, GM is too big so now i switch it to PM. For me, anjou works better than artois or st louis because both of them are canvas, but the anjou is leather so if there's spilled milk or snacks, i could easily wipe it off without have to leave a stain.

Congratulations!
I don't think Bellechasse is a good diaper bag option. Assuming you will be using it for at least a full year packed full of diapers, bottles, wipes, creams, etc, the straps won't endure the test of time. The straps are the same thickness as the straps on the St. Louis (though the leather finish is different, more durable on the Bellechasse) but the bag itself is heavier. My Bellechasse is a workhorse and the straps definitely show wear while the rest of the bag looks great. I have also found that not having to dig around the diaper bag is a top priority for me personally, hence interior AND exteriors compartments really helped. The other thing you might want to consider is a bag with secured closure aka top zipper or at least a secured flap in the case of a bag pack. There may be times where you just want to toss the bag in the stroller basket or the back of the trunk. The Bellechasse won't fit that bill. Good luck and congratulations again!

Reactions: c18027