Being Offered a Bag after Many Years

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
I've been buying Hermes for many years now. I was a regular customer at my hometown store in the days when Birkins and Kellys were on the shelf. I bought a few that way and was even offered the chance to get SOs and POs. Then new priorities came in and I wasn't spending so much on luxury goods. However, I did hold onto a couple of bags and accessories that meant a lot to me. A lot more has changed, too. I relocated thousands of miles away from my hometown and am just starting to get back in the H game. I live a completely different life now and started a new relationship with a SA in my new town. I've bought CDCs and silver jewelry from the new store and check in every once in a while, but by no means am I a VIP and probably buy the least of all his customers, but we have a great relationship anyway. Well...a couple days ago, I got a call that the SA may have a bag for me! We've been talking a while about getting a Birkin, and I gave him my list of choices. A small part of me wants to hate whatever is offered lol, but I'm also somewhat excited just at the chance of being offered one and the possibility of owning a new Birkin after many years!

So...a question since it's been so long since I purchased either a B or K, and a lot has changed since. If I hate it and turn it down, do I get put on a "blackballed" list and will it likely be a while before being offered another?

Last edited:
Reactions: orangefeast
How exciting! I have been very methodical and specific about the colors and bags I have wanted and while I have turned down a few Cs, I have only turned down one K. I had asked my SA for a B in gris mouettte, and a K came in so she wanted to show it to me just in case. A couple months later, my DH came home with the perfect B in gris mouette and he and my SA plotted to get for me :smile: No blacklist or bad repercussions from turning down the B.
One of my good friends also recently starting developing a relationship with my SA. She was offered a B in colvert (or cobalt I can't recall) and it wasn't for her. A couple of weeks later, she got a B in rouge grenat. No blacklist or bad repercussions either.
I think you will be okay turning it down if you don't love it. Re SOs and POs, my feeling is it doesn't hurt to ask, right? The worse that can happen is they say no now, but at least your SA knows you are interested. Best of luck!

How exciting! I have been very methodical and specific about the colors and bags I have wanted and while I have turned down a few Cs, I have only turned down one K. I had asked my SA for a B in gris mouettte, and a K came in so she wanted to show it to me just in case. A couple months later, my DH came home with the perfect B in gris mouette and he and my SA plotted to get for me :smile: No blacklist or bad repercussions from turning down the B.
One of my good friends also recently starting developing a relationship with my SA. She was offered a B in colvert (or cobalt I can't recall) and it wasn't for her. A couple of weeks later, she got a B in rouge grenat. No blacklist or bad repercussions either.
I think you will be okay turning it down if you don't love it. Re SOs and POs, my feeling is it doesn't hurt to ask, right? The worse that can happen is they say no now, but at least your SA knows you are interested. Best of luck!
Thanks for your input. It's too much money for me to settle, so I won't say yes just for the sake of saying yes, but it's refreshing to know that others have done the same without consequence. Glad it all worked out for you and your friend, and what a keeper your DH is lol! Either way it works out, I'll report back.

I think it's fine to turn down a bag you don't love. The SA can make someone else super happy, you're happy to be offered, and he/she has a better idea of your taste. Win/win :smile: Your saying no doesn't hurt the SA at all and it shows you are discriminating, not just chasing any Birkin.
Oh, I didn't think of looking at it this way, but that's a great point! Thanks. I'll report back either way and let you ladies/guys know what happens :smile:

Reactions: prepster
I once turned down an SO because Hermes, in its infinite wisdom, had seen fit to (1) alter the bag style, and (2) add contrasting piping. My SA totally understood and I suspect whoever bought the bag was delighted to have a horseshoe! Be appreciative of your SA's efforts, but say 'yes' only if the bag is what you want--and congratulations!

SA's understand that clients turn down bags for a variety of reasons.
It sounds like you have that "special" relationship going on & besides which you have
made other purchases, so your SA will appreciate your point of view
The birkin should make your heart sing.. & if this is indeed the right one, "enjoy her"

It's totally fine to reject an offer. I have rejected many but I keep getting offered. The SA wants to make you happy and keep you as a client. They eventually get a color/size that makes you go WOW! Stay true to what you love! Can't wait to hear back ......keep us posted!

Unless it's something or exact specs you requested and given
Of coz that you have to find a better reason
Let's say in general saying no to them and get blacklist
Please change and drop this sa and forget bout this store too
Not worth your time and money
We buy what we like and want
They must respect this
Of course end of the day it's their decision to offer us b/k
Base on what we spent

After my first SA left the boutique i stopped shopping at H...its also when I was building up my VCA collection. Out of the blue after about 3 years, the SM called and offered me a pink croc kelly and I said no...but she was very nice and invited me to come back to the boutoque to say hello. You will not be blacklisted. Only buy what you absolutely love.

So I went and saw the Birkin. The box was shrinkwrapped, which I've never had before! It was one of many on my wishlist, but it didn't sing to me =(

It was gold. I have a gold GP, so I thought I knew what it would look like, but the color looked different from what I thought it would. I imagined the gold sitting next to my blue jean Birkin, and I honestly didn't think the gold looked much different, even though it wasn't blue (Does that sound strange? Probably cuz they are both classic, subdued colors). I decided I wanted a bright funky color, or black. I felt bad, and I imagined never being offered another Birkin. But in my head, I came to the conclusion that if that were the case, I'm OK with that. Many years ago, I set my sights on a blue jean one, and I got it. And I feel fortunate to have one, considering it's not even offered anymore.

I told my SA what I thought, and he could sense I felt bad, so he gave me a hug lol! He said it was fine, that another SA had a customer who definitely wanted it. So he let me look at other swatches, and I now have a revised wishlist.

So I went and saw the Birkin. The box was shrinkwrapped, which I've never had before! It was one of many on my wishlist, but it didn't sing to me =(

It was gold. I have a gold GP, so I thought I knew what it would look like, but the color looked different from what I thought it would. I imagined the gold sitting next to my blue jean Birkin, and I honestly didn't think the gold looked much different, even though it wasn't blue (Does that sound strange? Probably cuz they are both classic, subdued colors). I decided I wanted a bright funky color, or black. I felt bad, and I imagined never being offered another Birkin. But in my head, I came to the conclusion that if that were the case, I'm OK with that. Many years ago, I set my sights on a blue jean one, and I got it. And I feel fortunate to have one, considering it's not even offered anymore.

I told my SA what I thought, and he could sense I felt bad, so he gave me a hug lol! He said it was fine, that another SA had a customer who definitely wanted it. So he let me look at other swatches, and I now have a revised wishlist.

Don't feel bad! Your SA offered because they wanted to get you a bag. He'll give you a ring when a bright fun color comes in....don't worry. You are on their radar now. They really don't mind when you turn down a bag, there is always someone else waiting to be offered. Wishing you a quick call back for that bright funky color (or black)!

Don't feel bad! Your SA offered because they wanted to get you a bag. He'll give you a ring when a bright fun color comes in....don't worry. You are on their radar now. They really don't mind when you turn down a bag, there is always someone else waiting to be offered. Wishing you a quick call back for that bright funky color (or black)!
Thank you so much! I'll definitely post again when that happens!