Being competitive

I agree, when one becomes too competitive bad things can happen. Life will be unenjoyable. I suppose, like all things, there should be a balance to how competitive one gets.

I tend to notice birth order has an effect on how competitive and successful most people can be. I know it's not always true, but I notice the youngest siblings tend to not be very successful. Babies of the family tend to not have to compete for much. This transfers into their adult life and usually professions. I've always noticed, I many people I dislike are the youngest. While many people I get along with, and share similar goals with, are oldest. However, I have to say, many only can be goal orientated and competitive. It seems to be a split. Onlys either take on the personality of a "baby" or of the oldest because oddly they're both.

I think even very competitve people have one thing they strive at. It's human nature to want to be good at something. I know there's certain things I'm more competitve about.

I think Dr Kevin Leman's theories are interesting, but they are also generalities. to me, much of his teaching tends to seem very much based on his own experience. I am an oldest, & I'm not competitive. I push myself to do things, but I march to the beat of my own drummer & I'm not concerned with what others are doing.

I think I used to be more competitive. There are times now that I am competitive, but generally speaking I am very mellow when it comes to sports, work, etc. I just want to do the best that I can do without stepping on anyone's toes or stressing myself out too much. I just want life to be fun, and I want to stay kind to other people. My boyfriend is very competitive, but it's something I love about him. We are so different, maybe that's why we work.

I'm competitive, but not for the sake of beating others. Rather, being able to meet/beat them is just a measure of how i'm progressing, a yardstick, kinda.

I do look out for who i'm competing with though, so, for example, if it's a very dear friend of mine, i would rather not compete if the person doesn't have the stomach for it, cos the friendship is much dearer to me. Similarly, sometimes if i can sense a "challenge" (sixth sense?), i think it over before deciding if it's worth my time and effort rather competing for the sake of (outcome here not the main decising factor either).

Interesting thread, btw :smile:

Thanks. :biggrin: I'm the opposite, though, when challenged. I've always been that way and it sort of bothers me. It's very easy to get my goat. :sad:

What's wrong with that?

Probably 95% or the world's population are lemmings. Works out quite well.

If you're happy with doing nothing it's fine. However, I noticed many of those people who have done nothing tend to regret later in life. If you spend your life as lemming, you would have wonder what else is out there.

I think I used to be more competitive. There are times now that I am competitive, but generally speaking I am very mellow when it comes to sports, work, etc. I just want to do the best that I can do without stepping on anyone's toes or stressing myself out too much. I just want life to be fun, and I want to stay kind to other people. My boyfriend is very competitive, but it's something I love about him. We are so different, maybe that's why we work.

I'm assuming you're a woman. I hope no one blasts me for this, but I think it's natural for women to want strong/sucessful men. Honestly, I think anyone who's with a slacker is just settling. Personally, I find men who lack ambition, of any kind, to be a turn off.