Being a melodramatic 20-something

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Sorry, ladies. I thought I could use a few words of advice from those of you who've been here and done all this!

I just graduated from college with two liberal arts degrees and am starting work at a corporate headhunting agency... it's much, much better pay and benefits than I expected to get at 22. I honestly have no clue what the work entails or what the industry is like aside from some superficial research... I'm spending a few weeks of the job training.

This is not what I wanted to do, but the pay seemed too good to turn down. I'm afraid that if I end up hating this job, I won't be able to move easily into another field... I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to switch industries.

I've never worked full-time except the summers... this is actually a 50+ hour a week job. My first year, I basically have no time off to visit family (they're in California, I'm in Chicago). But I guess this is how it is for most grown-ups!

lol Oh well, maybe I'll go running to graduate school after this year is through! I don't know why I'm anticipating not liking this job. I know that's not the attitude to go in with. Thanks for listening. :shame:

Congrats on your first job!! :yahoo: .

Your first job and industry focus probably will not be your last, so consider this paid "real world grad school." Absorb, learn, and do the very best you can no matter what tasks you are assigned. Ask questions, work hard, understand the politics of the organization and read/research all you can about what's going on in the industry. I too had a liberal arts background and had NEVER worked in an office, not even interning, so I felt like a total fish out of water for awhile.

I kept a journal to sort out my thoughts and triumphs and insecurities and for me it really helped. It was one of the biggest life-shifts I have made yet. [Getting married and having kids are two biggies I have not yet experienced].

If you do decide to go back to school for an MBA or other advanced degree, IMHO, it's better to have a few years in the workforce to apply to your graduate studies.

Please keep us posted!

I completely agree with Pursegrrl. Take it and try it. Learn what you can as this will help you in the future. You won't know if you will like it or not unless you really try to like it.

If after a couple of months you don't really like the job, follow your heart. Weigh out your options first. Being that you stated you'll be earning a ridiculously good pay at your age, you have to take that into consideration as that may be worth not switching the job for a while. :yes:

Good luck with it girl! I'm rooting for you!

give it a shot, hun! most people change industries multiple times in their lives, and the fact that you landed one good job should give you confidence that if you don't like it after a while, you'll be able to find another one. from what i've heard, it's normal for the first year to be exhausting and busy, so don't let that scare you, it'll be like that almost anywhere. and congrats! buy yourself a fabulous suit and some fabulous work shoes!

Actually, not liking it isn't an awful thing, especially if it isn't your dream job. I think a lot of people settle into their jobs whether they like it or not, and stay because it takes too much energy to leave.

I feel that way about my current job. It's not my dream job (although I do really like the field I'm in), but it does pay really well. In turn that's allowed me to have the money to go back to school for my Master's degree so that I am one step closer to doing something I love. So it kind of works out, you know?

I say, put your best effort into this job. If you end up liking it, that's fabulous. A lot of people enter fields that weren't exactly what they were looking for and end up excelling. If you don't, try your best to put in a full year for your resume and use the time to find out what you do want to do, and think up a game plan on how to make it happen!

Congrats on your new job!

Annie, I think headhunting would be a fantasic field to move out of eventually! You'll have awesome knowledge about a lot of Corps and even upcoming job openings!:yes:if you want to move that direction.
You'll create a great network for yourself IMO.

I KNOW there's a lot of money to be made there, DH uses them to find his Territory Managers and District Managers when he needs someone - they get a pretty impressive commission.

Congrats Intlset! It's definitely a change, but I think that you're gonna do great. You can always move on to something else in a few years. But don't get too comfortable. I find that many times people get soooo comfortable with the money that they never leave.

I know where you're coming from because I'm there. I'm 24 and in my first real job and I know this isn't a forever place I want to be. I just have to make sure I keep my eye on the prize.

Sorry, ladies. I thought I could use a few words of advice from those of you who've been here and done all this!

I just graduated from college with two liberal arts degrees and am starting work at a corporate headhunting agency... it's much, much better pay and benefits than I expected to get at 22. I honestly have no clue what the work entails or what the industry is like aside from some superficial research... I'm spending a few weeks of the job training.

This is not what I wanted to do, but the pay seemed too good to turn down. I'm afraid that if I end up hating this job, I won't be able to move easily into another field... I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to switch industries.

I've never worked full-time except the summers... this is actually a 50+ hour a week job. My first year, I basically have no time off to visit family (they're in California, I'm in Chicago). But I guess this is how it is for most grown-ups!

lol Oh well, maybe I'll go running to graduate school after this year is through! I don't know why I'm anticipating not liking this job. I know that's not the attitude to go in with. Thanks for listening. :shame:

Hey Inlset! Glad to see that you are doing so well!:love: My girlfriend has your job!. She has made so much more money then my friends who are lawyers, doctors... She works constantly, but headhunting, sure payed off for her. She has had this job for atleast 5-6 years. Great salary, good luck!!!:P

IntlSet,out of curiosity what does your field of work do?. I am currently looking into diffrent career's ( I am going to graduate HS this year:yahoo: ).PM me please if you can :nuts:

Hey, you're my age!

I say, don't turn it down. Pursuing your favorite thing in the world woul be fabulous, but great pay and benefits are nothing to scoff at, either. Give it a shot. You don't know what the future holds, but for the present, you've landed yourself a great deal.

Your first job right out of college - congrats! I would be nervous too, but I'm sure there's going to be many things that you can take from this job experience. If you end up hating it, you can always leave and be proud of yourself for trying it out in the first place. And then again you can always love it and it'll be a great fit for you! I too have to start thinking about this in the next few months and I'm so nervous! But hats off to you for landing a great job so quickly! :flowers: