Being a Big Girl...long

pammie20

O.G.
Sep 20, 2008
Last night I made the decision that I love the classic bags more than some of the current bags and with that in mind I looked at my inventory of items that still have tags on them and made the decision that it was not doing me any good looking good on my shelf - so a couple items are going going back.

I think I like looking at them and the thrill of the hunt but no matter how much I primp and pose with them they are not my favorites to carry and that may be why the tags were not taken off. I have decided that I will only get what I love and know I will use - I was counting the return and realized that I just needed to kick myself for the money I have spent :smile: I love the legacy line which I have been true to for years and I like the maggie and it looks like the new spring Kristin will be my next pursuit.

Maybe I will be daving money afterall...has anyone else had this to happen?

ive never had this happen but glad your happy with your decision. bags should be carried and enjoyed not sitting on your shelf. return those bags, and get the ones you will use and love girl!

I say go return the bags you are not comfortable with. In the future just buy a bag you absolutely must have and your in love with. This is what I do now. For example a week ago when I was at my outlet, I saw the Coach Embossed Mia Inlaid C Tote and it was 30% off plus another 30% with coupon. I picked up the bag and it was a very beautiful bag and the SA came over to me and said "That is a Gorgeous Bag and it was full price" I posed with the bag in the mirror and it looked beautiful on me but I have so many camel bags and was undecided on this one. So the SA then said to me "Are you in love with the bag?" I reponded no not really; she then said then don't buy it. I think this is was the best advice from a SA. She was honest and said wait and spend your money on a bag your in love with not just because the bag is on sale.

I see a lot of reveals on here and they are very beautiful bags, but I only buy a bag if I love it and it is comfortable to carry. Good luck finding the bags you love and make sure you reveal your truly loved new purchases.
Happy Holidays :biggrin:

I see a lot of reveals on here and they are very beautiful bags, but I only buy a bag if I love it and it is comfortable to carry.

Me too!
I had a lot of bags that had to go back because they were not practical/ comfortable for me. Very easy to get caught up in all the beautiful bags being revealed here. I think after about of a year of this buy/ return cycle it got better. I know who I am and I don't buy the bag if I know it is just now me...

Last edited:
It's a tough call, but I have had the same thing happen (more often with clothing, though).
I agree with the above posters- if you aren't in love with the bag, send her back so she can find a good home. I think my problem tends to be with bags that they represent less of who I really am and more of who I would like to be. Am I buying a bag that really fits my style and personality, or am I buying it because it's the current "It Bag"?

I will also say I am more easily convinced that I want something if a lot of people are feverishly posting about it. Coach should pay this board's members a commission- y'all are the best SA's, and you don't even get paid!

Just a question. Many of you mention keeping the tags on your bags and taking a while to decide whether to keep them or not. How long can you keep a bag and then return to the Coach store? I have only purchased mine from Macy's, eBay. And, years ago my husband worked for a promotional company from which I was able to get my Coach bags at 40% off retail. This was back when there were only the classic bags....not hundreds a year put out. In truth, there was nothing like the quality of those bags....I am talking about twenty years ago.

I will also say I am more easily convinced that I want something if a lot of people are feverishly posting about it. Coach should pay this board's members a commission- y'all are the best SA's, and you don't even get paid!

So true!! Sometimes I see a bag and don't think much about it but when so many people are loving it, I'll look at it again and really think about it, lol. Luckily, I think I've managed to purchase only the bags that I actually love instead of buying what everyone else is loving. This has especially been the case with Sabrina and Sophia. I know a lot of Coachies love them, and I love seeing them on other people, but every time I see them irl they're just not for me.

Definitely return the ones that aren't you and you haven't used and get something that you just have to have and will truly love!

Congrats on your decision. Probably a very wise one. I get excited to see the reveals and gorgeous bags but I have to stop myself and say, "Yes, it is gorgeous, but can I see myself carrying it." And usually the answer is no because I enjoy classic bags too. My only loves with Coach are the Legacy and Hamptons lines and now I am planning to get a new Kristin satchel this spring. I can't get into the flashy bags or trends. I love seeing them on the other gals though! I just know, I can't pull them off. ;)

So true!! Sometimes I see a bag and don't think much about it but when so many people are loving it, I'll look at it again and really think about it, lol. Luckily, I think I've managed to purchase only the bags that I actually love instead of buying what everyone else is loving. This has especially been the case with Sabrina and Sophia. I know a lot of Coachies love them, and I love seeing them on other people, but every time I see them irl they're just not for me.

Definitely return the ones that aren't you and you haven't used and get something that you just have to have and will truly love!

I with you on this one! I think I am the only one who does not own the Sophia. I like it on other ladies here but I am not in love with it on me yet. Maybe that will change, but currently I tried it on and I was not madly in love with it on me.

I think I like looking at them and the thrill of the hunt but no matter how much I primp and pose with them they are not my favorites to carry and that may be why the tags were not taken off.

I think my problem tends to be with bags that they represent less of who I really am and more of who I would like to be

ITA with these! I have bags that I adore looking at and posing with, but when it's time to pick a bag to carry on a particular day it becomes quite clear that the bag is not a fit with my everyday personal style and I keep reaching for other bags that do fit that style.

For me, the impulse buys, the bargain prices with coupons, and the perception of scarcity do me in. And then the bag ends up back at the store only to be exchanged for another one.

It's time for me to take another hard look at my NWTs and strengthen my "don't buy it in the first place" filter.....even in the face of great sale prices! I mean really, 30% off outlet coupons....50% off handbags at Last Call Neiman Marcus.....Macy's sales....and now my latest budding obsession: RM pouches :whiteflag::biguns:

ITA with these! I have bags that I adore looking at and posing with, but when it's time to pick a bag to carry on a particular day it becomes quite clear that the bag is not a fit with my everyday personal style and I keep reaching for other bags that do fit that style.

For me, the impulse buys, the bargain prices with coupons, and the perception of scarcity do me in. And then the bag ends up back at the store only to be exchanged for another one.

It's time for me to take another hard look at my NWTs and strengthen my "don't buy it in the first place" filter.....even in the face of great sale prices! I mean really, 30% off outlet coupons....50% off handbags at Last Call Neiman Marcus.....Macy's sales....and now my latest budding obsession: RM pouches :whiteflag::biguns:
Yep, this right here. This is exactly my problem, along with all the lovely reveals to tempt me, and now I have a closet full of purses that I really do like. Some I love and use, but too many of them sit unused with their tags still on. I REALLY want to return some, but when it comes down to it, it is just so difficult for me to decide which ones should go. I returned several a couple months ago, and that felt really good. But now they've all been replaced with more.

I hope I can learn a lesson from you ladies here on how to be more selective and how to come to that place where it's OK to let some of these babies go.

I agree with this whole heartedly. All of the bags that I bought on impulse at the outlet have gone back or been sold, except for a few.
I have stumbled onto sophia now. I am so in love with her shape, that I feel like I need to buy all of them or else I will regret it down the road. It's love though, to the point where I could seriously sell all of my coach except for the sophias. This bag makes me happy.

I agree with this whole heartedly. All of the bags that I bought on impulse at the outlet have gone back or been sold, except for a few.
I have stumbled onto sophia now. I am so in love with her shape, that I feel like I need to buy all of them or else I will regret it down the road. It's love though, to the point where I could seriously sell all of my coach except for the sophias. This bag makes me happy.

That is exactly where I am right now! Sophia is perfection for me, and then with my one Glam Tote, for the first time I'm looking at all of my bags and I can't get over how much I love them.

I'm glad to see that you're saving money. At least this way, maybe someone else will find your bag and love it the way it ought to be.

Glad to see you found the bags that are right for you :smile:

It's easy to get sucked into buying when you frequent TPF and when you see things for a great price, but it's silly to spend money on bags you're not going to use. I LOVE looking at Sabrinas, and I always was tempted to get one......but I don't like the way she looks as a shoulder bag and if I CAN'T put a bag on my shoulder, she's not right for me. But it took a lot of strength for me not to get one. You're being very LOGICAL in your decision.