Beige Clair Caviar leather ripped... what to do?

vivy_tran

Jul 29, 2019
I bought this bag from NM through phone last October. When the bag came, it was perfect. I haven’t worn this bag out since I bought it and was hoping to wear it this spring/summer, but Covid-19 happened.

From time to time, I do take it out just to admire it cuz I’m someone who thinks a bag should not be in the closet just to look at. Recently, I brought the bag out of my closet and noticed a small tear in the back side (most likely due to me opening the flap). I know this isn’t normal since my other Chanel bag caviar didn’t have this wear and I opened the flap 100x times. I’m very disappointed in the leather quality as I paid close to $7k on it (2 price increases ago), and I still have tags on this bag. My other bags from LV have no tears and I’ve had it for almost 10 years. I wore LV bags so often too (like everyday). No sign of wear. I just feel like Chanel just slapped me in the face when I saw the tear.

I showed it to my husband and he said the tear isn’t even that big, and I’m being a little picky. Despite this, he did say there shouldn’t have been a tear in the first place considering its price point. I feel like the flap will be constantly opened and closed and this tear is bound to happen, but I don’t expect it to happen right now...

Now, I’m debating if I should sell it.

Attachments

• 68D34A9D-DB6B-4CA8-BE9E-8F3D37B8B7BB.jpeg
    68D34A9D-DB6B-4CA8-BE9E-8F3D37B8B7BB.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 511
  • B60568BD-5B03-4B1C-84A8-E8A33F9219FB.jpeg
    B60568BD-5B03-4B1C-84A8-E8A33F9219FB.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 505
Did you check it when you first received it and it wasn't there? You should take it back to Chanel if it really bothers you. Something like that could be argued that it's a defect, especially if it wasn't there when you first bought it, and you're still within the 1 year of owning that bag.

I have a jumbo in black caviar and I just checked my stitches there and one of the 4 holes (2 on each side) has a similar imperfection next to it, but it's barely noticeable and honestly I wouldn't even have checked if you didn't post this.

Did you check it when you first received it and it wasn't there? You should take it back to Chanel if it really bothers you. Something like that could be argued that it's a defect, especially if it wasn't there when you first bought it, and you're still within the 1 year of owning that bag.

I have a jumbo in black caviar and I just checked my stitches there and one of the 4 holes (2 on each side) has a similar imperfection next to it, but it's barely noticeable and honestly I wouldn't even have checked if you didn't post this.
I don’t recall that the tear was there when I got it. It does bother me.... You’re right, I should bring it back to Chanel.

Ok I see your issue here. If it was me I would get some leather glue and carefully with a needle dab a bit in the tear and glue it back in place. I usually do minor upkeep with my bags that's what I did with one of my chanel caviars but if you don't feel comfortable patching it up maybe look for leather worker to help or worse come to worse sell it. Hope that helps and good luck!

Ok I see your issue here. If it was me I would get some leather glue and carefully with a needle dab a bit in the tear and glue it back in place. I usually do minor upkeep with my bags that's what I did with one of my chanel caviars but if you don't feel comfortable patching it up maybe look for leather worker to help or worse come to worse sell it. Hope that helps and good luck!
Thanks for your suggestion! I’m not too confident to get leather glue and do it myself haha. I think I will bring it to Chanel since it is under a year and have to patch it up or something.

I can barely see it but if it bothers you so much, I'd bring it to Chanel. Be prepared though to be parted with your bag for several weeks because they will send it out for repair. They're not very generous with just letting you "swap" it for another one in store.

Reactions: pinkrose398
I feel your pain especially since this is such a costly item. If I were you I would take it to your SA or contact her and see your options on what can be done. I would be worried that the rip would get worse. Good luck.

I can barely see it but if it bothers you so much, I'd bring it to Chanel. Be prepared though to be parted with your bag for several weeks because they will send it out for repair. They're not very generous with just letting you "swap" it for another one in store.
It’s next to the back stitch. I should have made a mark to point it out. It’s not a big rip, but I’m afraid the rip will get worse with time. I’m fine with sending it out for repair as I have other Chanel bags to rotate. I don’t think they’ll give me a new bag either, they’ll just try to patch it up.

NM usually has a good return/exchange policy as long as the tags are intact and it's <1 year. I would swap it so you're still getting it for the pre price increase.

It shouldn't rip like that after opening it that many times. I have flaps that are 8 years old and used it more than that with no rips. It was probably there before

Reactions: vivy_tran
NM usually has a good return/exchange policy as long as the tags are intact and it's <1 year. I would swap it so you're still getting it for the pre price increase.

It shouldn't rip like that after opening it that many times. I have flaps that are 8 years old and used it more than that with no rips. It was probably there before
I checked their policy and I can only exchange/return within 30 days. I think the leather on this bag is super soft compared to my other caviar bags. I’ll bring it back to NM and see what they say.

I bought this bag from NM through phone last October. When the bag came, it was perfect. I haven’t worn this bag out since I bought it and was hoping to wear it this spring/summer, but Covid-19 happened.

From time to time, I do take it out just to admire it cuz I’m someone who thinks a bag should not be in the closet just to look at. Recently, I brought the bag out of my closet and noticed a small tear in the back side (most likely due to me opening the flap). I know this isn’t normal since my other Chanel bag caviar didn’t have this wear and I opened the flap 100x times. I’m very disappointed in the leather quality as I paid close to $7k on it (2 price increases ago), and I still have tags on this bag. My other bags from LV have no tears and I’ve had it for almost 10 years. I wore LV bags so often too (like everyday). No sign of wear. I just feel like Chanel just slapped me in the face when I saw the tear.

I showed it to my husband and he said the tear isn’t even that big, and I’m being a little picky. Despite this, he did say there shouldn’t have been a tear in the first place considering its price point. I feel like the flap will be constantly opened and closed and this tear is bound to happen, but I don’t expect it to happen right now...

Now, I’m debating if I should sell it.
I have the same exact bag I purchased in 2010 or 2011 (cant remember) and mine came like that! I brought it up and Chanel said it wasn't a defect. I've used it a lot and it never got bigger. It's actually on both sides and it just came like that. I think it's the luck of the draw but mine has never worsened and I've worn the hell out of it!!!

I have the same exact bag I purchased in 2010 or 2011 (cant remember) and mine came like that! I brought it up and Chanel said it wasn't a defect. I've used it a lot and it never got bigger. It's actually on both sides and it just came like that. I think it's the luck of the draw but mine has never worsened and I've worn the hell out of it!!!
I think most of the bags in this color are like this. All that I’ve seen are just like this bag.

Reactions: FashionForwardChick