Before I send, is this a scam? Help

heathie02

totally satisfied
O.G.
Sep 27, 2006
I ordered a L.A.M.B. bag from a seller who seemed very honest and when I got the package today and opened it, it was not my bag but what appears to be a fake Burberry, although I know nothing about Burberry so I can't say for sure. I opened a case to cover my tail and now the seller is apoligizing and saying that he must have mixed up the packages and that the other buyer has not received my bag yet but he will credit both of us to send to each other. The bag I bought was not expensive so if it is some kind of scam he isn't making alot of money on it. Does this seem like a legitimate option or is this some kind of scam?

He just texted me saying he would refund me the whole thing, I am confused. I really don't want to lose $$ to send back the bag when it wasn't my fault

Sorry you're dealing with this. Something definitely sounds fishy. I would not send the bag to the other buyer. I would send it back to the seller. It is not your responsibility to straighten out his mistake. Good luck!

You probably need to open a case with Ebay. You need to CALL ebay and tell them what happened. They may tell you to send the bag back to seller. DO NOT SEND THE BAG TO THE OTHER BUYER! Also be sure you send it to the seller with signature tracking so you can prove you sent it back.Do not close the case until you have the refund cleared through your account. I really don't think this is a "mistake" (i.e. seller sent you a fake and knows it),so I would proceed through Ebay/PP to get your money back. But I would definitely call ebay/PP and ask them how to handle this.

I just texted him and told him I don't want to send it to the other buyer because if something happens I will lose the case I opened and he said that is fine I can send it back to him and though he hasn't done it yet he said he will put $15 in my paypal account so I am not losing any $$ to send it back to him.

i would still open a case with paypal. dont send the bag back until they tell you to or you have your refund. don't forget to keep all communications done through Ebay so you have evidence if it goes to a further dispute.

i would still open a case with paypal. dont send the bag back until they tell you to or you have your refund. don't forget to keep all communications done through Ebay so you have evidence if it goes to a further dispute.
TeaGirl1 is right! Absolutely you should not be texting or sending regular emails to the seller. Go through the Ebay messages so you will have a record.

I just texted him and told him I don't want to send it to the other buyer because if something happens I will lose the case I opened and he said that is fine I can send it back to him and though he hasn't done it yet he said he will put $15 in my paypal account so I am not losing any $$ to send it back to him.

:okay:

This is just ludicrous. I thought i've heard it all. I definitely wouldn't send anything to anywhere until you hear from PayPal and as other posters have said, keep all communication through Ebay and save everything. I hope it works out for you.

I expect it was an honest mistake. I've had this happen to me twice and both times the other buyer and I both complied with the seller's request to ship to each other. Both times we were compensated for the shipping. Both times eveything turned out fine.

But this was before I joined TPF and became aware of all the ebay pitfalls. I wouldn't do it that way again. As the others have suggested, I would just return to the seller.

I expect it was an honest mistake. I've had this happen to me twice and both times the other buyer and I both complied with the seller's request to ship to each other. Both times we were compensated for the shipping. Both times eveything turned out fine.

But this was before I joined TPF and became aware of all the ebay pitfalls. I wouldn't do it that way again. As the others have suggested, I would just return to the seller.
Can you believe I did that a few years ago with a Fendi fur coat??? Seller sent me the wrong one, so the other buyer and I sent each other the right ones. Boy I would never be that naive and full of trust again!
In this case I would follow PP's instructions, esp. if you think the bag you were sent is fake. Probably a very good chance the one they were sending you would be fake as well.

To be fair, this does happen. I once sent the wrong jeans to two different buyers. I felt so bad an in an effort to get each buyer the correct pair as quickly as possible I asked them to mail the jeans to each other. Obviously I gave them the additional money to ship the jeans. Luckily I got two understanding buyers and I never let that happen again.

I suspect it was an honest mistake too. I'd also like to say that some burberry bags look really cheaply made so it's entirely possible to second guess authenticity if one is not familiar with the brand.

Can you believe I did that a few years ago with a Fendi fur coat??? Seller sent me the wrong one, so the other buyer and I sent each other the right ones. Boy I would never be that naive and full of trust again!
In this case I would follow PP's instructions, esp. if you think the bag you were sent is fake. Probably a very good chance the one they were sending you would be fake as well.

Lol. One of mine was a golf shirt but the other one was a David Yurman enhancer, so more dollars..... but not a Fendi fur coat. :nuts:

He put $15 in my paypal to ship it back to him and I told him I would send him the bag back and he already credited the original amount plus shipping back as well. He should have waited until he got the bag back to protect himself as well but the bag has been shipped back to him and all is good. Thanks ladies