BEFORE & AFTER (comments ONLY)

Roo

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
I recently bought a Cornflower blue Twiggy from Bal NY. I fell in love with that color after I saw Tod's bag. When I received my Twiggy, it was really dry, shiny and veiny looking. I tried applegarde conditioner on it the first day I got it. It helped a bit, but not that much.

Then I read about the lubriderm so I decided to give it a shot. I bought a 6 oz bottle of the Lubriderm Daily Moisture lotion for normal to dry skin, unscented, cheap at Walgreens. I tested a small area on the bottom of the bag to make sure it was not going to stain or harm the dye. I rubbed it in with my fingers and could immediately see a difference. So I went to town! The bag immediately began to soften up and also become more matte looking and richer in color. Also the marbling of the veins became much less visible and the leather seemed to pucker up. I continued to rub the lotion over the bag with my hands like you would if you were massaging it into your skin. The veins/distressing are still visible, but seem less marbled after the lubriderm. It will be interesting to see if this is a temporary change or not.

I took these photos, its a bit hard to tell due to the outside daylight, but if you look closely you'll notice the difference in veins and the way the bag actually hangs. The Lubriderm is sure a lot cheaper than Applegarde and it seems to work better too. (Hopefully tomorrow I won't wake up to find the bag has turned green or something! :P )

**Also a disclaimer, this method worked for me, but you should try it on your own bag at your own risk. **

After applegarde conditioner:

twiggy.jpg

After lubriderm:

twiggy2.jpg

If anyone else tries it, it will be interesting to see the results. A nice fringe benefit (to me anyway) is that when you're done massaging the bag your hands are nice and soft. It's also nicer, to me anyway, not to be coming into contact with god knows what kind of chemicals in the applegarde.

Roo - your bag looks great. I have heard that lubriderm is also good for LV mono canvas, it's supposed to keep it moisturized and less susceptible to cracking. Thanks for the tip.

Again, try this with caution on your bags. I will also report back tomorrow on how my bag looks... hopefully it will not spontaneously combust overnight or something :lol:

chaussurewhore said:
i got that tip directly from bal and have posted i t in bal threads several times. glad it worked for you on 06 leather.

Yes, cw, I read your tips so I decided I'd be a guinea pig. Thanks for sharing that info, it certainly helped me (so far!)

Your bag looks great! I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to try it, but I admire that you went for it and got excellent results. Please keep us posted--