Beauty Retouching

curvea

Mar 9, 2010
Hiya,

New user here, looking for feedback on a new product / service.

I currently work as a retoucher, and mainly deal with businesses. The kind of thing we do is make products and people look their best, be it a handbag or a human! It's basically the kind of before & after thing you see in glossy magazines.

This service is usually reserved for the celebrities and models that appear in such magazines, but I am looking to offer and provide this to the general public.

There is a lot of debate at the moment whether airbrushing is ethical, so I am keen to hear what general opinion would be of such a service, and whether you feel it would be something seen as fun, or as something that is just adding to the problem of girls (and boys) striving to look perfect?

Thanks, Cx

Watching the Oscars in HD was an eye opening experience. Demi Moore has wrinkles??? I am so glad to see the imperfections because that is what a woman in her 40's looks like (sans plastic surgery.) I think that when we are constantly presented with images of perfection and we don't look like that, it is damaging. Just my opinion.

Hiya,

New user here, looking for feedback on a new product / service.

I currently work as a retoucher, and mainly deal with businesses. The kind of thing we do is make products and people look their best, be it a handbag or a human! It's basically the kind of before & after thing you see in glossy magazines.

This service is usually reserved for the celebrities and models that appear in such magazines, but I am looking to offer and provide this to the general public.

There is a lot of debate at the moment whether airbrushing is ethical, so I am keen to hear what general opinion would be of such a service, and whether you feel it would be something seen as fun, or as something that is just adding to the problem of girls (and boys) striving to look perfect?

Thanks, Cx

See, but that's where the problem lies - we strive to look perfect but we really won't - it's the touched images that will and nothing about us will change. What exactly would be the point of this ? People who know how you look will notice and those who don't can easily find out. What happens when you ran into someone in person and they notice a difference in how you look vs. how your pictures look ?

That happened to my mom, she ran into an old classmate whose FB pictures make her look like a model when in reality she looks nothing like it - overweight, unhealthy, really dull bad skin, lots of acne. Aparently she had her pictures touched up because she was using FB to date.

I have a classmate myself who frequently retouches her FB images and it is almost comical if not sad because we all know what she looks like in reality and it's nothing like her pictures.

I'd rather spend money on things that actually contribute to my health and beauty, rather than creating illusions of them.

the way i see it, that blemish on my nose or shiny spot on my forehead or whatever else i retouch isn't going to be there forever, so why not help them along on their way to nonexistence in my photos? (^(oo)^)v

^ Yes, and those are significantly different from brushing away a portion of someone's tummy or arm or chin! Professional photographers have ALWAYS retouched skin to diminish blemishes and "beauty marks", but it is a relatively new phenomenon where we entirely reshape someone's body and make them look like a plastic doll version of themselves. So some retouching is great and reasonable - like for blemishes or shine or what-not - and some is not ideal, IMO.