Beating a dead, smokey horse...

Apr 12, 2009
I've had 50/50 success getting cigarette smoke out of bags but I have a leather Coach and a DE speedy that I've about given up on. I'm not so worried about the Coach (it was super cheap), but I'm sad about the speedy. I bought it from an acquaintance many years ago, and didn't noticed the odor at the time. I have tried for years to get the odor out: tied in a grocery bag for months at a time using charcoal, baking soda, Lovin' My Bags Odor Out Bag Candies... and I even put it in the washing machine! The odor came out of the lining, but is still lingering in the canvas. :yucky: Any other suggestions or should I finally let it go?

I've had 50/50 success getting cigarette smoke out of bags but I have a leather Coach and a DE speedy that I've about given up on. I'm not so worried about the Coach (it was super cheap), but I'm sad about the speedy. I bought it from an acquaintance many years ago, and didn't noticed the odor at the time. I have tried for years to get the odor out: tied in a grocery bag for months at a time using charcoal, baking soda, Lovin' My Bags Odor Out Bag Candies... and I even put it in the washing machine! The odor came out of the lining, but is still lingering in the canvas. :yucky: Any other suggestions or should I finally let it go?
Sounds like the Speedy is a loss, but - did you know you can put that leather Coach in the washing machine? Use regular laundry soap - when it comes out, slather it up with good leather conditioner/balm and let it dry stuffed with a cotton towel (gently, don’t wan’t to stretch the wet leather). :smile:

Wow ! If the smell survived the cycles of laundering in a machine, I guess it's deeply entrenched into the canvas coating....:sad:
I did that only one time, I laundered a heavily soiled Sac Shopping and it came out clean as a whistle, but unfortunately the canvas got cracked as a result and I couldn't get the handles replaced like I had planned. Sounds like a brand new Speedy is in your future...you may be able to sell the smokey one to offset the new one. Good luck !

Reactions: reneeluvscoach
WHAAAAAT?! I have put plenty of coated canvas and canvas items in the washing machine, but not leather! I'm gonna give it a try - I've got practically nothing to lose! Thanks indiaink!! :yahoo:

I kinda figured the speedy is a lost cause. It's very faint but I'm picky about odors...I will see if I can live with it. If not, I'm sure it will sell for cheap. ;)

Sounds like the Speedy is a loss, but - did you know you can put that leather Coach in the washing machine? Use regular laundry soap - when it comes out, slather it up with good leather conditioner/balm and let it dry stuffed with a cotton towel (gently, don’t wan’t to stretch the wet leather). :smile:

How did it hold up from the washing machine? You are so brave! Haha

Have u tried putting some dryer sheets around it?

It held up amazingly well - I actually think it looks better! I've attached an "after" picture, although I don't have a "before". My thought process was: I have researched and tried everything, I paid her $600 for it, I'm not using it b/c it bothers me...I got nothin' to lose, lol. I think dryer sheets might mask the odor, but it won't absorb and remove it. If activated charcoal didn't work and bag candies didn't work, I figured nothing would.

20200810_153007.jpg

Last edited:
It held up amazingly well - I actually think it looks better! I've attached an "after" picture, although I don't have a "before". My thought process was: I have researched and tried everything, I paid her $600 for it, I'm not using it b/c it bothers me...I got nothin' to lose, lol. I think dryer sheets might mask the odor, but it won't absorb and remove it. If activated charcoal didn't work and bag candies didn't work, I figured nothing would.

View attachment 4815188
Wow! It does look pretty good after the washer! Hope you find a solution to your smell problem!

Reactions: reneeluvscoach
I got the odour of mould out of a chanel box so this method is worth a try. In a small shot glass 50/50 water and white vinegar. sponge and use it to wipe down all the affected surfaces. Then leave it outside in the sun for 30 mins, if the sun is really hot that day, just put it in the shade - but outside. I did this for 3 days. Smell gone. This also killed the mould on the box, so win win.

I know that you said that you have tried everything but I have to ask, have you tried ground coffee? My friend is a commercial airline pilot and a tried and true method that airlines use to neutralize odors, especially vomit , is ground coffee. I have used it myself to rid an old bag of that musty smell. Get a can of ground coffee take the top off and put either cheesecloth or pantyhose over the top so that the coffee smell can come out but it can not spill, put the coffee with the bag enclosed in a plastic bag. I left mine for 5 days to start then gave it a sniff. If it needs more then leave it for a few more days. I hope this helps it has worked for me good luck!

Reactions: GaMomJRM
I know that you said that you have tried everything but I have to ask, have you tried ground coffee? My friend is a commercial airline pilot and a tried and true method that airlines use to neutralize odors, especially vomit , is ground coffee. I have used it myself to rid an old bag of that musty smell. Get a can of ground coffee take the top off and put either cheesecloth or pantyhose over the top so that the coffee smell can come out but it can not spill, put the coffee with the bag enclosed in a plastic bag. I left mine for 5 days to start then gave it a sniff. If it needs more then leave it for a few more days. I hope this helps it has worked for me good luck!
Honestly, I don't remember if it was this bag or the Coach, but I will give it a try - coffee is cheap!

Ozanator machine
You could put the bag in a room and ozanate the room over night.
or put the bag in a car and ozanate over night (this is a smaller space if the machine is small) We bought a VW Beetle from a smoker, the car smelled like an ash tray! I tired everything, nothing worked. Then used an ozanator machine (my dad has one) in the Beetle. Smoke smell gone! Some car dealerships have the ozanator machines.